Author Topic: I had some Pyrodex  (Read 1001 times)

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3882
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 584
I had some Pyrodex
« on: September 30, 2023, 03:41:37 PM »
I had some Pyrodex, so I experimented a little.

.3cc of 4227 under 1.9cc of Pyrodex 3F. Shot them in my Cimarron .45 Colt, 4 3/4" barrel.

A little more recoil than I was expecting but other wise worked very good.

Main goal is to use up that Pyrodex.

Clean up was about the same as with Goex.

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
Re: I had some Pyrodex
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2023, 08:01:08 PM »
Be sure and clean your pistol again tomorrow and maybe Monday.  It will be rusty by tomorrow.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2023, 09:26:33 PM »
It's not bad as fertilizer.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:21:21 PM »

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 363
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2023, 09:34:00 PM »
"Main goal is to use up that Pyrodex"

Just use it as ice melt or traction on the sidewalks this winter. I can't say whether or not it's any good for such but it's definitely a better way of disposing of it than shooting it in your guns.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2023, 08:24:40 AM »
Be sure and clean your pistol again tomorrow and maybe Monday.  It will be rusty by tomorrow.

I just now inspected the gun. Bore is nice and shiny. Cylinder looks like new.

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2023, 11:48:19 AM »
Your lucky
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2023, 02:35:30 PM »
Your lucky

Many years ago I loaded some .357s with Pyrodex. Shot them in a Ruger Vaquero. Cleaned the gun after using Hoppe's. That was a big mistake. 2 days later that Vaquero was a total mess. Learned a valuable lesson. I now use hot water with Dawn dish soap, a toothbrush, and some of those BIG Q-tip looking things.

Offline leatherjunkie

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2023, 11:06:22 AM »
i was given a can of  Pyrodex. Figured I would just shelve it until I cant find any other can of powder. It will work when I cant find anything else to use.

Offline mtmarfield

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1670
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2023, 12:00:37 AM »
      Greetings!

When I began shooting Cap & Ball revolvers, I started with Pyrodex. I fed it to my Lyman "Remington NMA .44", and my
Pedersoli SxS 12ga shotgun. It worked fine in both. When genuine BP is scarce, Pyrodex works.
   Warm ( not hot ) water and soap for cleaning, Ballistol for oiling & preservation. If You use it in metallic cartridge applications,
treat your brass to a timely bath; the firearm, too. When I was a kiddie, I'd read in some magazine that Pyrodex was a new non-
corrosive / non-fouling propellant; I didn't fall for that.
   I still have the above mentioned arms; and in spite of all of the rabbits that shotgun rolled, and all of the untold hundreds of
home cast roundball that I blew out of that surprisingly accurate NMA, they both look great. I gave them ( and the others ) all of
the attention due to a BP firearm; and if You do the same, yours will do just fine.
   No, Pyrodex doesn't have the romance or ignition characteristics of BP ( not too bueno in a Percussion Sharps ), but sometimes
it's just easier to get at. So, don't dump your bottle of Pyrodex in spite; save it for that rainy day when You're all out of BP. Save it,
because it works!

M.T.M.
                   10-02-23

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2023, 08:50:38 PM »
Ummmmfffff!!!  I don't like Pyrodex >:( I don't like Tripe 7 >:( I don't like APP  >:( I don't like any thing that is FAKE trying to be REAL Black Powder. NO pellets, No stinkin chemical stuff when it burns. If it ain't GOEX, Swiss, or Schuetzen black powder, it ain't worthy to be stuffed into a muzzleloader rifle, shotgun, cap and ball, or loaded in a metalic case. Tried Pyrodex once and wondered why!!!  As the great Jeff Cooper once said and I'll aim it at all of the black powder subs- 'It's an ingenious solution to a non-existent problem."  :o :o ;D ;D

OK, my bad, I'zz just trying to give a little Coffinmaker speech to the multitudes here on the forum. No offense Mike, ie your rants about not liking Uberti's, Rugers, and udder things. But don't care for or have time for substitutes/fake black powder propellants. Real Holy Black all da way!!!! Just thought I'd get up on my 'peach crate' and jabber!!  ;D ;D Everyone take care  :)  Choker of Crow's :)
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2023, 08:29:30 AM »
Ummmmfffff!!!  I don't like Pyrodex >:( I don't like Tripe 7 >:( I don't like APP  >:( I don't like any thing that is FAKE trying to be REAL Black Powder. NO pellets, No stinkin chemical stuff when it burns. If it ain't GOEX, Swiss, or Schuetzen black powder, it ain't worthy to be stuffed into a muzzleloader rifle, shotgun, cap and ball, or loaded in a metalic case. Tried Pyrodex once and wondered why!!!  As the great Jeff Cooper once said and I'll aim it at all of the black powder subs- 'It's an ingenious solution to a non-existent problem."  :o :o ;D ;D

OK, my bad, I'zz just trying to give a little Coffinmaker speech to the multitudes here on the forum. No offense Mike, ie your rants about not liking Uberti's, Rugers, and udder things. But don't care for or have time for substitutes/fake black powder propellants. Real Holy Black all da way!!!! Just thought I'd get up on my 'peach crate' and jabber!!  ;D ;D Everyone take care  :)  Choker of Crow's :)

I agree 100%. For what it's worth, I have used the APP stuff, still have some, and still have some cartridges loaded with that stuff, but I also have cartridges loaded with Goex, and have a good supply of it, along with several pounds of Old Eyensford. When the Pyrodex is gone, it's gone. Same for the APP.

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 99
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2023, 10:41:07 AM »
I have used Pyrodex and 777, perfer 777 if having to choose between the two and true black if it is an option.   It has not always been an option and it will be difficult again if ATF gets the recent bill passed.   It will require all of us to report storage of black powder (currently does not appear to be a minimum quantity) to local authorities for public safety.

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2023, 11:38:22 AM »
I have used Pyrodex and 777, perfer 777 if having to choose between the two and true black if it is an option.   It has not always been an option and it will be difficult again if ATF gets the recent bill passed.   It will require all of us to report storage of black powder (currently does not appear to be a minimum quantity) to local authorities for public safety.

IMO that reporting regulation is nothing but a ploy hidden behind the words "public safety" by the ATF (run by liberal gun grabbers and current White House occupants) to have a list of whose homes to raid to get evil black powder from honest law abiding shooters same as a national gun registration. Fight against the regulation by contacting your represenitives in state and federal legislative houses.
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com