Author Topic: The Lee Deluxe Powder measure and FFF black powder?  (Read 3080 times)

Offline McCrower

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
The Lee Deluxe Powder measure and FFF black powder?
« on: January 15, 2021, 12:00:43 PM »
Is it possible to use The Lee Deluxe Powder measure and FFF black powder? It has mostly brass parts except the hopper.

https://leeprecision.com/deluxe-perfect-powder-measure.html

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3882
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 573
Re: The Lee Deluxe Powder measure and FFF black powder?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2021, 03:22:28 PM »
Don't know why not. I plan to use my mostly plastic LEE perfect measure with Goex FFF. I have experimented, and it consistently drops the exact amount everytime.

Offline Dirty Dick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2021, 08:09:06 AM »
I had a primer magazine explosion on my Dillon 1050, 100 Federal large pistol primers, either friction or static electricity, I have NO desire to have a hopper of black powder staring me in the face. Murphys' law.
NRA Life, CSSA, RCA,

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:32:27 AM »

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2021, 10:56:16 AM »
I use a LEE powder measure to drop the charge of Holy Black into whatever pistol, shotgun and LR rifle brass.  Have used it for years.  Works great.

Heat is what sets off black powder.  Don't smoke while loading ammo.  Primers need pressure and usually impact to go off.  Careful about how you handle your primers.  I clean and prime my brass prior to loading on any of my presses.

So, beware of heat and/or concussion with your primers.  Be safe.

DD-MDA
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2021, 12:47:00 PM »
I use a LEE powder measure to drop the charge of Holy Black into whatever pistol, shotgun and LR rifle brass.  Have used it for years.  Works great.

Heat is what sets off black powder.  Don't smoke while loading ammo.  Primers need pressure and usually impact to go off.  Careful about how you handle your primers.  I clean and prime my brass prior to loading on any of my presses.

So, beware of heat and/or concussion with your primers.  Be safe.

Pretty much how I do it. Installing new primers is done in a separate operation. Even with smokeless.

DD-MDA

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2021, 04:43:49 PM »
McCrower, is it possible?  Certainly.  Is it recommended?  Not by the manufacturer.  Many folks have used them with no problems but you have to make that decision.  I hand dip a lot of my BP loads, but I do use a Lee Autodisk measure (with adjustable charge bar) for my .38 and .357 BP rounds.

I have followed BP blowups for a long time, and the only time an automatic powder measure was involved was a guy loading on a Rockchucker, and he was using Pyrodex.  (and Hodgdon says Pyrodex is SAFE in powder measures!)

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2021, 08:39:26 AM »
So where does the danger come from? The powder comes in a plastic container. The powder dippers are made of plastic. The powder measure is made of plastic. If static was an issue, I would think it could occur just as readily by simply dipping the dipper into the plastic container of powder.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2021, 10:28:41 AM »

:)  Froogal   ;)

The danger comes from "Old Wives Tales."  Tell a falsehood often enough, loud enough and it suddenly becomes a repeated "fact" even if not.

In those Halcyon days of yesteryear, Warships armed with BP Cannon, required powder monkeys to wear felt booties in the powder handling area and magazines.

There is no documented evidence of Static Discharge detonating Black Powder.  At least, none that I am aware of.

People are Hazardous to your Health

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2021, 10:30:31 AM »
Not all plastics are the same.  Powder bottles are "static dissipative" which means they won't hold a charge.

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2021, 12:19:54 PM »
Not all plastics are the same.  Powder bottles are "static dissipative" which means they won't hold a charge.

I will then guess that powder measures are also "static dissipative"

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Smoke Wagon Leather Works
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2021, 12:28:23 PM »
Don't wear a wool sweater, fresh out of the dryer?

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2021, 12:29:24 PM »
I will then guess that powder measures are also "static dissipative"

No, they are not.

Lawyers for powder measure manufactures don't want them to encourage BP use.

Offline Dirty Dick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2021, 02:46:16 PM »
All interesting posts. My Dillon 1050 had been crushing primers (Federal LP) before the detonation, I could see the priming compound around the shuttle bar, previous to getting into Dillons I had a PW P200 and operated it with some alacrity, set off a few primers (single), just a pop, so wasn't too concerned with the crushed primers. Famous last words! But I was in a hurry to load some match ammo for the next match, shuttle bar was jammed with a busted primer, reached around to move it with finger, had done that many times before, soon as I touched it the entire tube detonated, I believe static electricity. In reaching around to free the stuck primer shuttle my face was within inches of the explosion, the steel guard around the primer magazine saved my eyesight. Thank you Mike Dillon!  My bad, should have stripped the press and cleaned it, have since modified the machine to eliminate primer problems, use compressed air around the primer feed apparatus before refilling. Once bitten, twice shy.   This thread has me wondering if the powder measure had had BP in it instead of Bullseye  if that would have gone up with the primers? NO BP in measures for me! Perhaps something for Mythbusters or Bryan Austin to take on? Anyone else?
That could be very interesting to find out. 
NRA Life, CSSA, RCA,

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2021, 06:43:49 PM »
:)  Froogal   ;)

The danger comes from "Old Wives Tales."  Tell a falsehood often enough, loud enough and it suddenly becomes a repeated "fact" even if not.

In those Halcyon days of yesteryear, Warships armed with BP Cannon, required powder monkeys to wear felt booties in the powder handling area and magazines.

There is no documented evidence of Static Discharge detonating Black Powder.  At least, none that I am aware of.

People are Hazardous to your Health

regarding sparks and BP kabooms:.

Flintlocks go off because the "sparks" are  tiny white-hot burning pieces of steel struck from the frizzen.
That's sort of why frizzens eventually wear out :-0

The only documented cases of kabooms from sparks that I am aware of did not involve already manufactured powder,
but the  "powder fines suspended in the air" *during* manufacture.

It is about the same as a spark setting off "wheat dust" in a grain silo, or during manufacture of flour.
Or a spark setting off flammable vapor in the air.

now I will go hide.

prf marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Bunk Stagnerg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2021, 08:43:01 PM »
personally I dip my charges based on the idea haste makes waste or a big KABOOM right in front of what becomes your former face. Then comes the sad singin' and deep diggin'
Just sayin'
Bunk

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2021, 09:36:38 AM »

:)  Well Now   ;)

I personally have no argument with Dippers.  I have been known to observe Big Dippers and Little Dippers myself (Snickers behind Hand).  In point of fact, I "do da dip" to load All Brass shotgun hulls.

I also do not question those whom choose to err on the side of caution.  There is nothing wrong with taking steps to protect ones one and only face.  Actually a pretty good plan.  A near-by explosion with shrapnel does nothing to improve one's countenance (much).

My irritation is with jumping up on the old Soap Box, then screaming "DON'T DO IT" based on what Phil said he heard Bob say after George told him Marsha was positive, it was wrong and none of them had the slightest factual information to base their dire warnings of doom upon.  And so propagates an "Old Wives Tale"

If one really desires an explosion, simply run PLASTIC and UNGROUNDED tubing in a wood shop for Saw Dust.  That stuff will go up like a Nuke.  As mentioned by parties unknown, so will Grain Silo's.  Neither Grain nor Saw Dust is known as an explosive, but will in fact move your basement right up through your second floor.

In summation yer Honor :  Caution is a noble thing (Remembering Nobel the chemist).  No problem with it.  Just don't claim the sky is falling just because an Air Liner flushed the toilette.  Burma Shave

Stay Safe out there

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2021, 12:41:36 PM »
:)  Well Now   ;)

I personally have no argument with Dippers.  I have been known to observe Big Dippers and Little Dippers myself (Snickers behind Hand).  In point of fact, I "do da dip" to load All Brass shotgun hulls.

I also do not question those whom choose to err on the side of caution.  There is nothing wrong with taking steps to protect ones one and only face.  Actually a pretty good plan.  A near-by explosion with shrapnel does nothing to improve one's countenance (much).

I very much appreciate your view point on such matters.

My irritation is with jumping up on the old Soap Box, then screaming "DON'T DO IT" based on what Phil said he heard Bob say after George told him Marsha was positive, it was wrong and none of them had the slightest factual information to base their dire warnings of doom upon.  And so propagates an "Old Wives Tale"

If one really desires an explosion, simply run PLASTIC and UNGROUNDED tubing in a wood shop for Saw Dust.  That stuff will go up like a Nuke.  As mentioned by parties unknown, so will Grain Silo's.  Neither Grain nor Saw Dust is known as an explosive, but will in fact move your basement right up through your second floor.

In summation yer Honor :  Caution is a noble thing (Remembering Nobel the chemist).  No problem with it.  Just don't claim the sky is falling just because an Air Liner flushed the toilette.  Burma Shave

Stay Safe out there

Offline Dirty Dick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2021, 03:13:24 PM »
 ???I am curious if anyone knows what it would take for a sympathetic? detonation of black powder?  ???
NRA Life, CSSA, RCA,

Offline Dirty Dick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2021, 12:31:59 PM »
Any explosives techs out there?
NRA Life, CSSA, RCA,

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com