Author Topic: VA FIRE and BRIMSTONE POSSE  (Read 1795701 times)

Offline Lucky Irish Tom

• Drunken Irish Darksider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • If I can't see the targets neither can the spotter
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: VA FIRE and BRIMSTONE POSSE
« Reply #4820 on: June 01, 2014, 08:33:40 PM »
Will you would need to find a rubber cap to fit over the end. For my .223 cases I had an ammo box with a plastic piece in the top under the lid it kept them upright until I used them unless someone knocked over the whole box.
If ya can't be fast it's good to be Lucky!
Official Irish Whiskey Taster
SASS 40271, WARTHOG, Darksider, Dirty RATS, RO2

Offline Sod Buster

• My Barn, My Rules
  • Top Active Citizen
  • What happens in the Barn - Stays in the Barn
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #4821 on: June 02, 2014, 05:30:10 PM »
Well SB it looks like you and I will have to uphold the F&B posse's good name.  I got a new inline capper today to Bass Pro Shop.  I found that the snail capper just didn't seem to work on the Remingtons.  I think I'll bring them and see how it goes. 

I'm looking at getting some small glass capped vials to work on a setup like Potter's has with his powder.  I thought if I load the powder into the individual vials the loading would go faster.  What do ya'll thinK.  I can get 2 dram vial for around 40 bucks for 114 vials.  Only really need 60 but that will give me extras if I they start getting damaged.  They are a little over 1/2 in at the mouth and about 2.3 inches long.  Seems like they would fit over the cylinder opening nicely.  Also should hold up to about 70gns in case I wanted to use them for my muzzleloading rifle. 

I gave up om cappers for now.  I have plenty but never can get them to work.  I have been placing the caps manually and then pushing them on with the deer antler "pusher" that LR made for me.

I am using some "Speed loaders" that I got from Dixie Gun works:
http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_100_359&products_id=7712
These are the .36-40 cal version.  I had originally tried the .44-50cal version but they were a bit too large.  They are really designed for the muzzlleloaders. They come 50 to a bag so if I come to the match loaded for the first stage, these take care of stages 2-6 for both pistols.  I pour in the powder and them plug the top with the cast ball.  It works for me.
SASS #49789L, NCOWS #2493, RATS #122, WARTHOGS, SBSS, SCORRS, STORM #287
ROII, NRA RSO, NRA Benefactor, VSSA Life

Offline Wildcat Will

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4822 on: June 03, 2014, 04:24:49 AM »
I will have to keep that in mind.  I've got some 30-30 brass and plan to see if I can find a dowel that will fit snuggly.  If not I'll be order some of those.  Thanks for the info. 
Smoke makin', fire belching gunfighter of the VA Fire and Brimestone Posse    Blackpowder or No powder!

Courage is being scare as heck and still getting in the saddle.

Advertising

« Reply #4823 on: Today at 11:05:13 AM »

Offline Pony Racer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4823 on: June 03, 2014, 05:09:50 AM »
I am getting more and more comfortable with using my flasks but have switched to all tube flasks and all with the 25-30 grain spout.

Cappers - do not buy any other cappers than the Ted Cash ones. I don't know why - but his cappers always work.

I load up my cappers (I have 6+ now) before the match and don't fuss with loose caps anymore during matches.

WW - your reloading station bag works for me.

I just won't shoot cap and ball a lot until Cardinal can load herself - which she is almost there - the 22 rifle with the top/tube load system is still just a little awkward.

When she does her Girl Scout weeks later this summer - I will cap and ball more. Once I get the 1860 armies from LIT I will have choices! Wahoooo Yehawwww!
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy
Member Fire & Brimstone Posse
Having fun learning the ways of the cowboy gun
WAHOOOOOOOOOO YEHAWWWWWWW

Offline Wildcat Will

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4824 on: June 03, 2014, 06:41:02 PM »
I just got a 5/16 inch dowel and cut it to one inch long and it fits great into the 30-30 brass.  I have about 68 empty cases with fired primers and another 15 or so with no primers.  I figure I can fill the primer pocket with silicone and I will have powder speed loaders.  I can measure out the powder, and use a 1890 rubber band to hold them together in bundles of five.  That way at least I'll know when I have 5 chambers loaded.   :)  Got two dowels for about $2 and that should be enough to have the 60 I'll need and a few extra in case I fumble finger a couple of loads. 

Think I'll hold off with the cap and ball this weekend but will definitely start using them more.  PR I agree it will be nice to have choices.  I'm thinking of seeing if we can start a new category....old fart, frontiersman, gunfighter.  See how many want to join that category.   ;D
Smoke makin', fire belching gunfighter of the VA Fire and Brimestone Posse    Blackpowder or No powder!

Offline Sod Buster

• My Barn, My Rules
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4825 on: June 03, 2014, 08:42:29 PM »
Think I'll hold off with the cap and ball this weekend but will definitely start using them more. 

No...no..no...don't abandon the C&B.  Will I be the only one there shooting them?   :( :( :(

A new category sounds like fun.

Offline Wildcat Will

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4826 on: June 04, 2014, 04:20:55 AM »
Looks like I may need to help out running one of the posses.  Trying to do that and load C&B will be a little difficult.  There will be other days for C&B.  At least I will be there to make some smoke!

Offline Wildcat Will

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4827 on: June 07, 2014, 05:11:36 AM »
Working on the first cup of coffee and getting ready to load the wagon and head out to Waverly.  Should be a lovely day for a match.  The sound of BP being ignited (BOOM), seeing the light (FIRE), breathing in the glorioius aroma (Stink) and enjoying the reduced visibility (Smoke).  Yes a wonderful for a gunfight!!!!

YEEEEEEEEE HAAAAAAAAAAA

Offline Wildcat Will

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4828 on: June 07, 2014, 03:44:29 PM »
Great day of shootin with my F&B pards.  Those who could not make missed a good time.  I found shootin the Remmingtons is a little different feel than the Rugers.  It was fun and after I get use to them I should be able to speed up.

LIT they sure do shoot nice.  I shot with the conversions in today.  I'm looking forward to shootin them as C&B.  I orders a cylinder pin for the one that was not wanting to play.  Getting it through Dixie Gun Works.  Suprised how inexpensive.  Had some real problem near the end and that was after Ballistol and cleaning at stage three. 

Had a great time  YEEEEEEEEE HAAAAAAAAAA

Offline Sod Buster

• My Barn, My Rules
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4829 on: June 07, 2014, 06:16:40 PM »
And I had a great time shootin' C&B in my Colts. Gonna have to start making it a more regular thing.

Several smokey shooters there. How about that P-Town Eddie getting a clean match shooting conversion cylinders!  He sure has come a long way.

Offline Wildcat Will

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4830 on: June 07, 2014, 07:35:50 PM »
And that was a first time ever for him.  Needless to say he was really happy. 

Offline Wildcat Will

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4831 on: June 08, 2014, 04:59:32 AM »
YEEEEE HAAAAAAAA  First Dirty Match I've had in several years!

Offline Pony Racer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4832 on: June 08, 2014, 10:23:17 AM »
Sorry I missed such a dirty, smokey, firey and stanky time ;D!

Hope to shoot again soon with my pards.

Daughter had awesome horse show and the announcer got things straight after a few hickups:)

Hope to shoot dirty but smiling from ear to ear soon!

PR
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy

Offline Lucky Irish Tom

• Drunken Irish Darksider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • If I can't see the targets neither can the spotter
  • Liked:
« Reply #4833 on: June 09, 2014, 04:52:09 PM »
Have a pile of bullets cast just need to load them up. Might take me as long as P Town to get a dirty match, but as long as it is smokey I am having fun.
If ya can't be fast it's good to be Lucky!
Official Irish Whiskey Taster
SASS 40271, WARTHOG, Darksider, Dirty RATS, RO2

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 310
« Reply #4834 on: June 10, 2014, 07:48:28 PM »
Appears a smokey good time was had by all
Mathew 5.9

Offline Wildcat Will

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4835 on: June 11, 2014, 07:13:34 PM »
Looks like I've got a pass to go shoot this weekend again.  I'll head out to the Waverly match Saturday with the Colt Armies.  C&B day!!!!!

Offline Sod Buster

• My Barn, My Rules
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4836 on: June 12, 2014, 06:50:01 AM »
I won't make it this time. 

Offline Pony Racer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4837 on: June 12, 2014, 05:32:05 PM »
I will be there with Cardinal if the creeks don't rise too much!
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy

Offline jimbobborg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4838 on: June 12, 2014, 06:54:33 PM »
Do any of you get up to the Pepper Mill Creek Gang shoots?  I shot my last stage there all BP, which I must admit was really cool. 

Offline Wildcat Will

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4839 on: June 13, 2014, 03:12:02 PM »
PR glad to hear Cardinal will be there.  It has been a long time since I've had a chance to shoot with her.  Let's try to posse together.  I'm still planning on bringing the C&B Colts with. 

BTW SB showed me the pair of Walkers last weekend.  There is no way on earth I would try to shoot gunfighter with those monsters.  I don't think I've got the arm strength to hold them up long enough to get through the stage.   Might be fun trying though.    ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com