Author Topic: Improving the Accuracy of a pair of Schofields  (Read 1444 times)

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 797
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 32
Improving the Accuracy of a pair of Schofields
« on: October 03, 2021, 08:34:25 PM »
Hi

I purchased a pair of Schofields in .45 Colt a couple of years ago.  I worked up a load for the first one that came out to be 4.5 grains of Tite Group under a 250 grain Lead bullet.  It’s the more accurate of the two.  Since the first one shot well, I broke out the second of the pair.  After years of shooting bullseye with 1911’s and S&W Model 19’s, I’m dissatisfied with the accuracy of both.  I’ve attached pictures of the best two groups at 25 yards from a rest with the second Schofield.

I’d like to eventually have both worked over with the point being better accuracy.  A 2-inch group at 25 yards would be great.  I’m shooting Schofield brass in these by the way.

Based on the groups shown, am I dreaming or is improved accuracy possible?  If I’m not dreaming, who should I send this off to?  I DO realize that the Schofield doesn't have a top strap...  Since don’t need both at the same time, I’d PREFER to do these one at a time.

Thanks

Mike
BOSS #230

Brevet Lieutenant Colonel
Division of Oklahoma

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Improving the Accuracy of a pair of Schofields
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2021, 09:44:46 PM »
The Schofield was built as a 'Minute of Torso' sidearm - 'not' 'Minute of Angle'.

The sights are just fine for the former - but little else, while it's a top-break, and there's movement there.

'If' you get someone to tune one up - he likely won't get the second to match - hell, they can't do that with a Colt of a clone.

I'm not aware of any 'smith doing real work beyond smoothing them - but you may find some brave soul who can, so...

Keep tweaking the load - try the data for the straight .45 S&W round - it'll behave much like a .45ACP round does and that might be the fix.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2021, 07:02:19 AM »
Depends on the bore condition. If a barrel has very few rounds put thru it or is old and pitted it will benefit from being firelapped and accuracy should improve.
wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:43:03 PM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2021, 07:30:40 AM »

:)  MJS   ;)

Your first stop is/are the Barrels.  You need to slug the bore to find what the groove diameter is.  Bullet diameter should be one or one and a half thousand over groove diameter.  Next is the forcing cone, I would suggest and 11degree forcing cone, you may find you have little if any forcing cone.  Next is/are the Cylinder throats, which need be one to one and a half over Groove diameter.

Look at your bullet.  I have no idea why you're shooting those big bullets.  The Schofield was designed to run a 230Gr bullet (max).  The bore needs to stabilize the bullet you're shooting.  I would personally suggest you drop to a 200Gr RNFP for your Schofields.

Play Safe Out There

Offline Kent Shootwell

• Top Active Citizen
  • Got whiskey, will stumble.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2021, 09:37:29 AM »
Are these new guns or original S&W? If new try 45 Colt brass to put the bullet closer to the front of the chamber. I would advise not doing any alterations unless you know something is wrong, it’s hard to back up.
Little powder much lead shoots far kills dead.
Member, whiskey livers
AKA Phil Coffins, AKA Oliver Sudden

Offline kwilliams1876

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2021, 12:44:40 PM »
My Uberti .45 Schofield needed the muzzle crown and forcing cone reworked. Seems several of my Uberti firearms needed a tune up from the factory. They seem to struggle getting a concentric cut.
kw

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4667
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2021, 07:06:00 PM »
If they are repros, check the forcing cone first. One of mine was rough, the other was fine. Mine prefer the bullets at .452 diameter.
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 797
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2021, 09:28:07 PM »
Hi and thanks for the replies

I'll see if I can answer in order:

St. George, I used the .45 S&W load data from the Lyman manual.

Wildman1, both are new guns neither has more than 1000 rounds though them at this point.

I'll check the measurements, but it will be a couple of days.  I actually have to go in to work this week dammit.  I'm running 250 grain bullets because they shoot to point of aim at 25 yards.  I shoot Grand Army of the Frontier, and 25 yard targets are common.  In 2020, I shot a Skirmish run with the Schofield, but lost time wise to a broom handle Mauser.  I DO really like the Schofields for reloading speed, but couldn't match the broom handle.

Mr. Shootwell, I love the alias.  They're both new.  I like shooting the .45 S&W brass because we reload on the clock, and the 45 S&W brass has much more rim than .45 Colt.  The Star extractor on the Schofield doesn't grab the .45 Colt rims as well as it does the Schofield rims.  I may try seating the bullet out longer though.  I have .45 Colt brass and may try the longer round also.

I'll check the measurements.  I'll also check and see what bullets I'm currently using, they're Missouri Bullet and I have some of Scruffy Skippy's.  Both are powder coated although I also have lead.  Missouri Bullet sells lead 230 grain round nose bullets for the .45 ACP, and that's what I used here, but they're a kind of short and don't have a lube ring.

In going back through Mike Venturino's book on Shooting SIxguns of the Old West,, I noted that a 2 inch group is about as good as it gets and 3 inch groups are common in his test loads. 
Mike
BOSS #230

Brevet Lieutenant Colonel
Division of Oklahoma

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1181
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2021, 11:14:10 PM »
I'm just wagging here, but you mentioned shooting from a rest.  What sort?  Is the barrel resting on a sandback or something?  If so, I wonder if the fact that the barrel is hinged would make any difference even though lockup may feel solid?  But like you said, those groups are not terrible. 

Offline FriscoCountyWolfy

• Citizen
  • SASS #: 29723
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2021, 07:27:21 AM »
I get incredible accuracy from a uberti s&w no 3, definitely try the right cartridge for your gun (.45 colt)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com