Author Topic: Harrington & Richardson serial resources?  (Read 1402 times)

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Smoke Wagon Leather Works
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Harrington & Richardson serial resources?
« on: March 19, 2021, 01:20:32 PM »
I came across an old H&R auto ejecting S&W .38, and I'd like to know how old. I found that 1,300,000 models in 32 and 38 call, were produced between 1899 and 1940. But even the H&R site didn't have a chart. The numbers under the left grip are 215 xxx

Offline Claypipe

• Mighty Cautious
  • Very Active Citizen
  • They're not dead, till there's one in the head.
    • Medieval Gonne Works
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Harrington & Richardson serial resources?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2021, 12:04:19 PM »
Most of the dating on H&R, Iver Johnson and others are based on guess work comparing the guns with newspaper and magazine ads. There are some books about based on this research. But a precise dating is not available at this time.
Vergiss nie heimat wo deine Wiege stand Du findest in der fremde kein zweites heimalland

Never forget home where your cradle was. You won't find a second home country in a foreign country

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2021, 04:21:31 PM »
Most gunsmiths and shops can offer little or nothing on these fine old pieces, because it's not what they do.

But the Collectors have documented and itemized them very nicely. The best collectors books on the topic are
by Bill Goforth who wrote on the H&R guns.

https://www.amazon.com/Bill-Goforth-1871-1986-First-Hardcover/dp/B00RWS4AKE

now his book is a collectable!

but here is some info for you from some of the H&R collectors out there.
These guys know their stuff

some general information
https://thereaderwiki.com/en/H_%26_R_Firearms

from knight0334
https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=288194

The roll-stamp on top of the barrel determines the model and variation, which in turn determines the year, or range of years it was made. The patent dates, and/or the spelling of the state, are factors used to figure that out. With exception of a couple variations of the 2nd Model's letters in the serial numbers, serial numbers themselves on pre-1940 H&R mean nothing....

With it having the caliber stamped on the side means it is a smokeless gun, most typically made after 1904. (there were a few smokeless pre-1905 guns made for testing and sales)

===================================================================

a serial number of six digit usually means post 1905 manufacture in the H&R line.

from b.goforth himself
https://www.thefirearmsforum.com/threads/h-r-38-s-w-ctge.75244/

AUTOMATIC EJECTING THIRD MODEL
(SMOKELESS POWDER)---------------------------------------1905-1940
Auto-ejecting mechanism, Calibers 32 S&W Long, 6 shot cylinder capacity, 38 S&W caliber 5 shot cylinder capacity, hard rubber grip panels with Target Logo, nickel finish (blue optional), barrel lengths of 2½ (rare), 3¼ (standard), 4, 5 & 6 inches available, top of barrel markings include company name and address and early production has patent dates, the one recognizable difference in the Second and Third Models is the caliber is marked on the left side of the barrel on the Third Model
“IF IT HAS A CALIBER MARKED ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE BARREL THEN IT WAS MANUFACTURED FOR SMOKELESS POWDER”
First Variation 4 patent dates (5-14 & 8-6-89, 4-2-95, 4-7-97) model name and caliber on left side of barrel------------1905-1908
Second Variation 2 patent dates (8-6-89 and 10-8-95) model name and caliber on left side of barrel----------------------1909-1912
Third Variation no patent dates the name of the state is marked as MASS-----------------------------------------------------1913-1915
Fourth Variation no patent dates the state name of Massachusetts is spelled---------------------------------------------------1916-1924
Fifth Variation new grip frame, it is now the same size as the rest of the frame with no step down for the grip panel—1925-1941
After 1931 listed in Catalogs as: AUTOMATIC EJECTING No. 10 .32 S&W LONG CALIBER 6 shots and AUTOMATIC EJECTING No. 25 .38 S&W CALIBER 5 shots
After 1932 listed in Catalogs as: AUTOMATIC EJECTING No. 20..38 S&W CALIBER 5 shots

=======================================
from Wiregrassguy
https://www.smithandwessonforums.com/threads/h-r-auto-eject-info.39437/

..... if the SN doesn't begin with a letter, it was made before 1942. Are there patent dates stamped on top of the barrel? The last one should give you a starting date. I suspect the gun was made in the 1920s, probably among the last they made before ceasing production. I base this on the SNs in the 100K range were made around 1915. There was an expert named Bill Goforth who wrote books on the H&R guns. He died in 2011, but his books are likely still available. One of the local book stores may have a copy you can peruse.

===========================================

from https://www.go2gbo.com/threads/h-r-auto-ejecting-model-3-3rd-variation.389194/

posted by Old No7

AUTOMATIC EJECTING THIRD MODEL (SMOKELESS POWDER) 1905-1940

Auto-ejecting mechanism, Calibers 32 S&W Long, 6 shot cylinder capacity, 38 S&W caliber 5 shot cylinder capacity, hard rubber grip panels with Target Logo, nickel finish (blue optional), barrel lengths of 2½ (rare), 3¼ (standard), 4, 5 & 6 inches available, top of barrel markings include company name and address and early production has patent dates, the one recognizable difference in the Second and Third Models is the caliber is marked on the left side of the barrel on the Third Model -- “IF IT HAS A CALIBER MARKED ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE BARREL THEN IT WAS MANUFACTURED FOR SMOKELESS POWDER”.

First Variation 4 patent dates (5-14 & 8-6-89, 4-2-95, 4-7-97) model name and caliber on left side of barrel ---1905-1908

Second Variation 2 patent dates (8-6-89 and 10-8-95) model name and caliber on left side of barrel ---1909-1912

Third Variation no patent dates the name of the state is marked as MASS----1913-1915

Fourth Variation no patent dates the state name of Massachusetts is spelled---1916-1924

Fifth Variation new grip frame, it is now the same size as the rest of the frame with no step down for the grip panel—1925-1941

After 1931 listed in Catalogs as:
AUTOMATIC EJECTING No. 10 .32 S&W LONG CALIBER 6 shots and AUTOMATIC EJECTING No. 25 .38 S&W CALIBER 5 shots

After 1932 38 caliber is listed in Catalogs as: AUTOMATIC EJECTING No. 20..38 S&W CALIBER 5 shots

=================================

hope this helps
Prof Marvel

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:22:57 PM »

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Smoke Wagon Leather Works
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2021, 09:22:52 PM »
Many thanks, Perfessor. That isn't exact, but good enough to satisfy my curiosity. I'd look at the pistol, but forgot where I stowed it. If'n I were to be even more honest, I kinda forgot about it, until I saw this post.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2021, 10:48:32 PM »
As always the Professor is SPOT on ....Bill Goforth's book is the bible for Iver Johnson and H&R guns and collectors

I am sorry to say Mr. Goforth had gone on to be with the Lord in January 2021...
I'm unsure if his book will carry on in future printings ....

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2021, 07:16:17 PM »
I am sorry to say Mr. Goforth had gone on to be with the Lord in January 2021...
I'm unsure if his book will carry on in future printings ....

That is where archived PDFs of  the "out of print" books will be incredibly valuable resources.
There are many old school types that whine and insist on strict copyright stuff , but either cannot convince a publisher, or refuse to pursue "another printing"

These are instances where the copywrite owner (whoever they may be... Usually Stoopid heirs )
Could do very well to license a PDF net version which could be bought online for $1 or so...
Or even sign over authority to the Way back Machine ( aka Internet Archive) where so much already resides for free, like a web based library ....

Yhs
Prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com