Author Topic: Have Money, Want Opinions  (Read 18903 times)

Offline Six Gun Saint

• Top Active Citizen
  • You can't have no idea how little I care...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Have Money, Want Opinions
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2013, 10:14:31 PM »
Right, so ended up going with the Rossi R92 in .44 Mag-got a STEAL of a deal on one new (I gave $300), and it feels nice in my hands.  Heck, first lever gun I ever shot was a .44 Mag anyway, so yeah...

Pistols, I'm still looking 'round.  I handled one of them Taylor Smoke Wagons I'd mentioned wanting...  I don't want one anymore.  Trigger is FAR too light for my taste.  Yeah yeah, I know, some people like a light one-me, I like it to have SOME resistance-not sneeze and it goes off!

Also started on the woodworking aspect of things.  Pretty pleased with what I've got going on thus far, for that end (staging box, gun cart). 

Anyway, wanted all of y'all what's opined upon the issue to know.  Scales were tipped towards Rossi from what y'all all said anyway, and besides, who doesn't want an excuse to buy ANOTHER gun later, right? ;)
The above may or may not be influenced by medications and/or alcohol...  (i.e. don't blame me if it's bad spelling/incoherent)
--------

July 9, 2011-The Birth of Southern Sudan!

Ph'nglui Mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh, Wgah'nagl Fhtagn!

Do not believe in yourself, believe in me, who believes in you!-Courage Wolf

The gods only go with you, if you put yourself in their path. And that takes courage...-The Crystal Cave

Hiding won't help you, you see...  I control the bullets-I make them go where I want.

A gun's power isn't in it's muzzle velocity or caliber...-Revolver Ocelot

WE DON'T RENT PIGS!

Offline Stu Kettle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2013, 10:21:21 PM »
Long barrel or carbine?  A picture'd be good.  I'm always in the market for another gun , but you may find that '92 hard to replace.  Mines a .44 too, I bought a '66 in .38 years later but still shoot the '92.

Offline Lumpy Grits

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2013, 08:57:14 PM »
You would do best to have your rifle and handguns the same caliber. Trust me on this as a 10 yr+ SASS shooter.
.38 Special is the best bang for the buck.
My wife, Ima Schofield(YES, she is of that Schofield family from Missouri)shoots .38 Specials very well and has the awards to prove it.
ME- I'm shoot'n .44 Mag........
LG
'Hav'n you along-Is like loose'n 2 good men'

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 11:41:52 AM »

Offline Six Gun Saint

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2013, 11:32:52 PM »
Long barrel or carbine?  A picture'd be good.  I'm always in the market for another gun , but you may find that '92 hard to replace.  Mines a .44 too, I bought a '66 in .38 years later but still shoot the '92.

I'll get pictures of it up just as soon as I'm able.  School is kicking my arse here lately!

You would do best to have your rifle and handguns the same caliber. Trust me on this as a 10 yr+ SASS shooter.
.38 Special is the best bang for the buck.
My wife, Ima Schofield(YES, she is of that Schofield family from Missouri)shoots .38 Specials very well and has the awards to prove it.
ME- I'm shoot'n .44 Mag........
LG

While I agree it's best to have your ammo standardized, this was too good a deal to pass up, and from what the store was telling me, they don't know when, or even IF they'll be getting a .357/.38 in anytime soon, if EVER.  Item number was Zeroed out.

In a nutshell, I'm doing what I can with what I got, and let's face it, for $300?  Yeah.
The above may or may not be influenced by medications and/or alcohol...  (i.e. don't blame me if it's bad spelling/incoherent)
--------

The gods only go with you, if you put yourself in their path. And that takes courage...-The Crystal Cave

Hiding won't help you, you see...  I control the bullets-I make them go where I want.

WE DON'T RENT PIGS!

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2013, 11:54:54 PM »
In a nutshell, I'm doing what I can with what I got, and let's face it, for $300?  Yeah.

That is a great price and there is always the chance you could find someone with your caliber that you could trade with. 
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline Pancho Peacemaker

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3120, SASS #75813
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2013, 06:40:25 PM »
Rifle:

Get the '73

I cant tell you how many folks start out with Rifle X and within a few years, they are trading or buying a '73. 

Carbine, SRC, sporting rifle: thats your personal decision. 

Avoid buying twice and go for the (Uberti made) '73.

Revolvers:

Rugers are most durable, but least authentic

Ubertis are most authentic, but slightly less durable. 

S&W top breaks  are my poison, but they will cost you a tad more and are more difficult to find.

NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

1961MJS

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2013, 05:27:58 PM »
Rifle:

Get the '73

I cant tell you how many folks start out with Rifle X and within a few years, they are trading or buying a '73. 

Carbine, SRC, sporting rifle: thats your personal decision. 

Avoid buying twice and go for the (Uberti made) '73.

Revolvers:

Rugers are most durable, but least authentic

Ubertis are most authentic, but slightly less durable. 

S&W top breaks  are my poison, but they will cost you a tad more and are more difficult to find.

Hi Pancho

H and H guns in OKC had a few of the Scholfields a couple of weeks ago.  They were between $800 and $900.  I was strongly considering buying an 1866 from them, but they sold both of those.  I didn't want the really purdy 1873 they had for $1400, so I attempted to order a regular 1873, everyone was either out, or expensive (Dixie Gun Works), so I ended up with an 1892 Rossi 24 incher in .45 LC.  I need to go order the parts for .45 LC for the Dillon.  I'd have gotten either a 66 or a 73, but none were around and the 24 Rossi's on say Wednesday was 17 by Saturday, so I said the heck with it and bought what was there.  $560 total, title taxes, and floor mats.

Later

Offline Six Gun Saint

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2013, 07:05:34 PM »
Right, so...

Uh, NOTHING went the way I planed it. 

Not a damn thing.

I gotta say though, I'm not upset with the way it went down.  $1200 on ALL of it-rifle, shotgun, and a MATCHED SET (as in the Uberti Matched Pair) of revolvers. 

I appreciate the feedback, but when a deal like this comes your way, you're an idiot not to take it.  $300 for my Rossi R92 in .44 Mag (I wanted .357, but hell, beggers/choosers, etc).  $300 for my Stoeger 12 (ended up in matte nickle, I wanted blue, but it was $100 MORE).  And $600 for a pair of BRAND NEW Uberti Cattleman MATCHED revolvers (as in S/N: RSXXXX and LSXXXX-I ain't much for typing my serial numbers out online, but I will say they're under 1000!) in .45 Long Colt.  Not my ideal caliber, to be sure-but the .357s were going to run me about $100 per gun MORE.  PLUS, they didn't even have a pair in stock, meaning I'd get one, and the other'd show up...  a month and a half from now.

SO, as it stands, here's what I'm shooting (pics will follow when I'm over the plague!):

Match Rifle:  Rossi R92 10+1 in .44 Mag
Match Shotty:  Stoeger Coach Gun Supreme in 12 Gauge
Match Revolvers:  Uberti Matched Pair 1873 Cattlemen in .45 Long Colt

NOW...  I know my ammo is not standardized.  That'll hurt me a bit on the reloading.  BUT!  Every handgun in my house (except my wife's 7.62mm) shoots .45 of some kind.  ACP in my 1911, LC in my 1873s.  SO, there's that.  ALSO, my rifle shoots the same ammo as my best friend, so there's THAT.

Again, nothing went the way I wanted it to, but in the end, I've got to say, I couldn't be more in love with what I've got.  The extra safety feature on the Rossi (the key to "turn the rifle off," for lack of a better term), is AMAZING-safety first.  The revolvers have the EXACT feel of what I was looking for.  The triggers are just right, the cock easy, and I can run 'em pretty quick (snap caps so far, have not put any live rounds through 'em-just got 'em tonight).  The shotgun?  I don't know how to put it, other than "It was made for me."

This was more about what rifle to get than anything, and the scales seemed to lean towards the Rossi anyway, so I guess on that front, this thread was a success.

I would like to thank each and every one of you that gave advice, and rest assured, within a couple of years (AFTER I take my wife to Japan, probably), assuming they're still legal to own, I'll have my 1873.  May even get one of them Taylors & Co with the short stroke already on it!

Thanks again, y'all, it really did help push me over when I saw that Rossi for dirt cheap! :D :D :D
--------

WE DON'T RENT PIGS!

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 407
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2013, 08:55:04 PM »
So! Robert's Yer Fathers Brother! ;D ;D

Keep your eyes open for a '73 in .45 Colt and you will have a matched set.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Six Gun Saint

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2013, 11:14:05 PM »
So! Robert's Yer Fathers Brother! ;D ;D

Keep your eyes open for a '73 in .45 Colt and you will have a matched set.

That's the idea right now, along with saving up to get my wife her iron.  DEFINITELY going with the .357s for her!

Anyway, as promised, here's some pictures:

The Rossi R92:

The Uberti Matched Set:

That's them.  Interesting to note, that last picture, I actually had dropped the camera, and that's how it came out!

No real good picture of the Stoeger yet, as I'm still suffering the plague.  In fact, I've about coughed up a lung...

May not be the plague...  May be the consumption.   ;)
--------

WE DON'T RENT PIGS!

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 426
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2013, 05:41:37 AM »
Indeed "Bobs your Uncle "  you've done well ,
Exceedingly well with the Uberti's infact $600 ? , you stole them !  and $300 for the Rossi ?  I'd buy one myself  ;)
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Six Gun Saint

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2013, 12:16:31 PM »
Indeed "Bobs your Uncle "  you've done well ,
Exceedingly well with the Uberti's infact $600 ? , you stole them !  and $300 for the Rossi ?  I'd buy one myself  ;)

I'm wondering if the price wasn't somehow related to their grand opening weekend, or perhaps the fact they WERE selling them as a split set.  I can't think of any reason that BETTER guns than the Hombre would be going for so much less...

I'm just trying to lay hands on a loading system now-probably going to get a Lee Loader (the all by hand one) to start with, and upgrade to a progressive system as I can afford it.

It's funny-I ended up saving more than enough money to get reloading equipment, and all manner of nice goodies-what do I do?  I buy my wife a hand made Japanese Cast Iron Ceremonial Tea Set, and buy us both a hand made Jordanian Hookah.  (Well, I also had to pay for a few hunne'd dollars in car repairs, but I'm not counting that)

Why?

Because she let me spend all that money on them guns, she deserved nice things too!

PS: My gun leather will be here ASSUMEDLY Friday.  I went with cheap-cheaper than Triple K-but the reviews were solid, and I've dealt with the company in the past for their clothing products-solid stuff, really.

Just have to get shotgun slides or a belt now...  My brother HAS a canvas one, but it's a plastic buckle set up.  I'm wondering if that'd be fine to use for the one match, or if that'd be not cricket-because I can have my shotgun belt by the NEXT match-just not this one.
--------

WE DON'T RENT PIGS!

Offline Stu Kettle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2013, 12:34:10 PM »
I'm just trying to lay hands on a loading system now-probably going to get a Lee Loader (the all by hand one) to start with, and upgrade to a progressive system as I can afford it.

If you can swing it, I'd suggest a Lee Hand Press rather than the Lee Loader.  Its not that the Lee Loader won't work, I used them exclusively for many years, but it is a slow and noisy process.  Now I never use the mallet loader, but still use the Hand Press for nearly all of my rifle cartridges.  Plus, if you buy the Hand Press and the dies you need you'll still have the dies when you move up to another press

Offline Six Gun Saint

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2013, 12:38:30 PM »
If you can swing it, I'd suggest a Lee Hand Press rather than the Lee Loader.  Its not that the Lee Loader won't work, I used them exclusively for many years, but it is a slow and noisy process.  Now I never use the mallet loader, but still use the Hand Press for nearly all of my rifle cartridges.  Plus, if you buy the Hand Press and the dies you need you'll still have the dies when you move up to another press

That is sound advice indeed, my good sir...  Never looked at it like that, actually.  Well, looks like I'll be pricing that setup out.

Now, I assume .45 LC and .45 ACP require different dies, yes?  (Reason I'm asking is there are currently 5 cartridges in my house-.32 ACP, .44 Mag/Special, .45 ACP, .45 LC, and .30-30 Win-I plan to reload all of them EVENTUALLY)
--------

WE DON'T RENT PIGS!

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 407
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2013, 02:23:54 PM »
For the .45s you can "get-by" with just the 45ACP dies, for a bit.  You will need a shell holder 'though.  Having a few extra shell holders won't break the bank, but check your stock of dies as the one for belted mags might work.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Six Gun Saint

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2013, 02:42:46 PM »
Oh, no-you misunderstand-I have no anything for reloading right now.  I'm unable to FIND anything, either.  All sold out, everywhere I look.

The exception is the Lee 4-Die Set for .45 LC, for $50.

Bit pricey, but eh, it'll pay for itself shortly I know!
--------

WE DON'T RENT PIGS!

Offline Stu Kettle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2013, 05:33:27 PM »
Dang, fergot about the great ammo panic of '13 - try eBay, & a 3 die set is plenty.  Others will tell you a Factory Crimp Die is a must- they told me that too, I bought one, don't us it.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 426
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2013, 06:45:07 PM »
"I'm wondering if the price wasn't somehow related to their grand opening weekend, or perhaps the fact they WERE selling them as a split set.  I can't think of any reason that BETTER guns than the Hombre would be going for so much less..."

or someone made an error , and logged them in at the Hombre retail ... one word " SCORE"  ;)
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Six Gun Saint

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Spent Money, GOT options, new grips? :D
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2013, 06:02:41 PM »
OK-these things are all friggin' AMAZING. 

Well, not the '92.  It's...  Well, I'm working with it.  It needs help.  I've posted elsewhere about that.

Anyway, I'm in LOVE with the revolvers.  They're perfect in every way, shape and form.

OK, OK, NEARLY perfect in every way, shape and form.

I would like to replace the grips ultimately.  Something Ivory.

PREBAN would be amazing, but BEYOND expensive. 

Would it be better to start a new topic about this, or just let this one go on?
--------

WE DON'T RENT PIGS!

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2013, 10:05:42 AM »
If you do decide to buy ivory grips make sure that they can show the certification that the ivory that they are making it from or the already made grips are legal.

Wish I had found this thread earlier.
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com