Author Topic: A Theory  (Read 2715 times)

Offline Gun Butcher

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
A Theory
« on: May 18, 2010, 08:34:35 PM »
I would like to propose a theory about knives and styles.

It is IMHO a recurring thing.

Blade syles and sizes, along with handle materials and decoration have been coming and going for thousands of years
Mines bigger than yours, mines prettier than yours, and mine is more useful are the things that seem to me to drive the train.
Except in a few cases the knives that where the most common and most useful simply got used up.

I know this train of thought has probably gone down the tracks many ,many times over the years but, I think its a good one to remember.

I'll get down now and post a couple of  examples from my own collection on another thread.

I would be very interested in hearing some postulation from others on this subject.

Thanks
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 407
Re: A Theory
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 08:52:37 PM »
Couldn't have said it better myself!

If a knife is not useful, you won't have it with you when you need it.  And when you need it, you need it bad.

P.S;  Of course, "useful" is very subjective, depending on many personal and situational factors. :o
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline KidTerico

• kidterico
  • Top Active Citizen
  • I,m to small to turn the other cheek.
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 10:10:13 PM »
GB and Sir Charles great posts. KT
Cheer up things could be worse, sure enough I cheered up and they got worse.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:05:17 AM »

Offline The Elderly Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 10:40:29 AM »
I think this is why so many of the Bowies we see in museums and private collections are in such pristine condition. They were popular presentation items, often with the recipient's name engraved on the escutcheon plate or even on the blade. They were never even worn, much less used, and spent their lives sitting on a desk or hanging on a wall plaque until they were no longer fashionable, then were consigned to a drawer or attic and were forgotten until descendants sold them to collectors. This is probably also why so few have their original scabbards - they were displayed without them and the scabbards got tossed away or otherwise lost. The "using" Bowies got used until they were worn out or broken. When they were no longer popular as weapons they got used as agricultural tools. Pre-20th century, most people lived on farms and big blades were always useful for farm chores.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 04:52:45 PM »
Pretty much is the theroy I've came up with.  Not everyone was dirt poor and today folks with money often tend to buy stuff that is not always that useful.  Good example, go to Cabelas and buy everything the salesman tells you you need if yer new and are going on your first deer hunt.  My pick-up is not big enough to haul everything they'd sell you if you were willing to buy.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 06:55:02 PM »
This will cut postulations all day long ;D That's the tip of one on the right :D

Bunch a ole scudders!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com