CAS TOPICS > 1911 & Wild Bunch Shooting

Recommendations for a better 1911

(1/6) > >>

Doc Holloman:
OK, I know this is a perennial question but here goes again:

I’m considering treating myself to a higher quality 1911 than what I have been shooting (Springfield Garrison) and am looking for recommendations.  This was actually triggered by a Facebook post by Capt George Baylor, extoling the virtues of the Standard Manufacturing pistol that he has been testing.  Looks like a good gun and will certainly be worth considering.  But, I want to know what my other options might be.

Criteria:  Wild Bunch MODERN legal.  Price limit $2000.  Series 70-type mechanicals. Minimum work to be done out of the box (I would be willing to change out a front sight to make it WB legal.) Fixed high vis sights.  Single stack. 

Must be readily available ( I have been waiting a year for a gun now and don’t want to do that again. )  Would prefer a new gun.
I have no real manufacturer preference.  That being said, I have had bad experiences with Kimber and Desert Eagle.

DeaconKC:
Ruger SR1911, S&W and the Sig 1911s are all excellent guns. They will come with good triggers, excellent sights and magazines. Use grease on the frame rails, especially with a stainless gun. Use good magazines, Actmag, Mec-gar, Chip McCormick, Novak, Ed Brown and Wilson are all VERY good quality. Avoid Promag, Kimber's standard magazines [the Kimpro ones are okay] and "mystery" magazines.

Coffinmaker:

:) WELL DOC  ;)

Lemmie wadę in Herę with no real recommendations.  First up though, I give a really big
PLUS ONE for the Deacon!!

You will find, often the only real difference in run of the mill and "High End" guns is the name roll stamped on the slide.  There is a single criteria:  Does it run reliably EVERY TIME?? (Buy It).  Then there is the next consideration:  Magazines.  I lost count of the number if 1911s brought to my shop to be Fix'd/Modified/Changed and the only problem was the cheap garbage magazines.  Do not skimp on Magazines.

Personally, I played Wild Bunch with a pair of Springfield Armory 1911s.  Dead reliable.  Ambi everything as I played with a double strong side rig and shot Gunfighter (Before SASS screwed the game into the mud).  So:  Let function be your guide.  NOT Price.

Yes Auntie Agness, People are Still Hazardous to Yer Health

Advertising:

Jeremiah Jones:
My EDC gun has been an M1911 since ~1979.  My experience is the magazines and ammo make more of a difference than the make of gun.

Abilene:

--- Quote from: DeaconKC on March 31, 2023, 04:23:59 PM ---.... Use good magazines, Actmag, Mec-gar, Chip McCormick, Novak, Ed Brown and Wilson are all VERY good quality. Avoid Promag, Kimber's standard magazines [the Kimpro ones are okay] and "mystery" magazines.

--- End quote ---
Yep, magazines.  In addition to those, it seems that a lot of the SERIOUS Wild Bunch guys are using Tripp mags, or at least Tripp springs and followers in other mags.  Rather pricey.  Sure see a lot of jams with folks shooting WB.  I'm sure it's ammo if not magazines.  My various mags and ammo all run well in my Armscor-made Cimarron.  I'm just glacially slow changing mags (and I don't practice).  :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version