Special Interests - Groups & Societies > The Winchester Model 1873

First Time 73 Owner

<< < (2/5) > >>

Abilene:
The missing screw on the bottom tang is the main spring strain screw.  You don't need it unless you have light strikes and need to increase the hammer spring tension.

BrickwallJackson:
Thanks for all the info, y'all. Just an update, I took her to my gunsmith today and did a successful test fire. She times up just right and goes bang.

I fitted a front sight so now I just need to install a proper rear sight and replace the missing screws.

Baltimore Ed:
A beautiful build, very impressive. My real ‘73 is a musket from 1891.  A leather lever wrap will make the lever easier to cycle by making the lever bigger [wider] and giving you more leverage. Makes it gentler on the knuckles too.

Advertising:

Coffinmaker:
 :)  Brickwall  ;)

Nice Job rebuilding your rifle.  80% of the resistance felt in the Finger Lever is from the Main Spring that powers the hammer.  20% is from the two springs that retain the lever in the closed position and hold the carrier block up.

If you wish to reduce the effort on the finger lever, first source another Main Spring and than reduce one of the main springs.  Reduce it very CAREFULLY. Reduce it too much and you get light primer strikes.  I suggest leaving the side springs alone.  Since you're not a CAS player, extensive spring grinding is not necessary nor recommended.

People ARE hazardous to Yer Health

I absolutely hate OTTO

BrickwallJackson:

--- Quote from: Baltimore Ed on January 27, 2023, 09:53:10 PM ---A beautiful build, very impressive. My real ‘73 is a musket from 1891.  A leather lever wrap will make the lever easier to cycle by making the lever bigger [wider] and giving you more leverage. Makes it gentler on the knuckles too.

--- End quote ---

Thanks brother! A 73 musket is a rare bird, do you shoot it? I keep forgetting they tried selling them to the military. Thanks for the tip on the leather wrap, I'll give that a try. Though, since lubricating this thing it seems to be slicking up.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version