Author Topic: another question  (Read 4042 times)

Offline Quick Fire

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
another question
« on: November 21, 2014, 06:40:03 AM »
Could a noncom cavalryman in the mid 70's worn a pair of officers spurs? Thanks

Quick Fire
QuickFire                                 Lt. Colonel, Division of Nebraska                                                                                                                                                                          GRAND ARMY of the FRONTIER                                                         
NCOWS 1717

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Re: another question
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 07:30:23 AM »
While others are far more knowledgeable here, I would say "Why not?!"  Especially since it would have mostly been in the field.
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline S. Quentin Quale, Esq.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 07:49:09 AM »
My guess would be "maybe."   ;)

It would depend on the regimental commander and the company commander and the views of the first sergeant.

G.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:07:21 AM »

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 09:04:46 AM »
No.

There was a definite distinction between the Ranks, and such a thing would have been viewed as a breach in discipline and over-stepping - a form of 'silent insolence', and contrary to the Customs of the Service.

Furthermore, the Sergeant would well be aware of that fact, because of the length of time it took to make that rank, and the precariousness of his position in holding it, he'd be very familiar with those Customs.

Perhaps not what you wanted to hear, but these things kept the Army and sister Services working efficiently - giving order and rules to abide by that gave them strength.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Quick Fire

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 11:02:52 AM »
St. George, that's why I asked. I wanted a truthful and knowledgeable answer. I haven't purchase any military spurs yet and I wanted to know before I did. Thank you.

Quick Fire
QuickFire                                 Lt. Colonel, Division of Nebraska                                                                                                                                                                          GRAND ARMY of the FRONTIER                                                         
NCOWS 1717

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 01:05:55 PM »
I agree with St. George.

Items such as spurs were issued to Enlisted personnel as were needed per branch of service. The spurs remained Government/Military property and would be expected to be maintained by the soldier during their service, then turned in when one left the service. If lost during service, the Enlisted person would have the cost deducted from any pay they may have coming to them. This included major items such as firearms down to minor items such as hat brass.

Commissioned Officers were expected to purchase their own kit.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014, 04:45:50 PM »
To repeat: No.  Enlisted were issued spurs, and were expected to maintain and wear them when required.  As has been said, officers purchased their own.  Officers could in fact purchase enlisted spurs, and often did for field use.  But never the other way around.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Quick Fire

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2014, 05:15:34 PM »
Thanks guys for your replies. I'm new to this military stuff and you all are helping me figure it out.

Quick Fire
NCOWS 1717

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2014, 05:20:39 PM »
Drydock,

Again, I very much agree.
Officers could indeed buy/purchase enlisted mans gear through the QM Dept. for campaign/fatigue duties. But not the other way around. Enlisted personnel simply didn't have the income to be able to do such a thing. They had to depend on what the Military supplied them with.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2014, 06:47:05 PM »
No.

There was a definite distinction between the Ranks, and such a thing would have been viewed as a breach in discipline and over-stepping - a form of 'silent insolence', and contrary to the Customs of the Service.

Furthermore, the Sergeant would well be aware of that fact, because of the length of time it took to make that rank, and the precariousness of his position in holding it, he'd be very familiar with those Customs.

Perhaps not what you wanted to hear, but these things kept the Army and sister Services working efficiently - giving order and rules to abide by that gave them strength.

Scouts Out!

I understand and generally agree with the above.

A question:  I've read that after the ACW many enlisted men who had been breveted to officer rank during the War were reverted to enlisted rank.  If a person remained in the Army under these circumstances would your answer change on this question?

With your knowledge of the era, can you envision any other circumstance where the answer might change?

SQQ

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2014, 07:59:29 PM »
One thing lost in our era is the deep concept of "honor" in that no man who considered himself a gentleman would use previous circumstance to appear above his present station.  Or to place those about him in an uncomfortable situation by demanding recognition no longer accorded by station.  He could receive it, (medals, mentions in dispatch's, etc) but not demand it.  So no, a man who considered himself a gentleman would not wear such accoutrements. 

Spurs in particular, as they have a deep connection to rank rooted in medieval chivalry.  Something the Victorian era was far more cognizant of than we are today.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2014, 08:48:46 PM »
No.

Any serving soldier who'd once held a Brevet but had reverted to his previous enlisted rank would have known the rules, and would have abided by them, or he would not have sought further service.

In most cases, the Brevet ranks went to Volunteer units and not to the Regulars - that's where Custer advanced when he commanded the Michigan Wolverines, only to revert back to his Regular Army rank of Captain after the Civil War.

No - my answer is the same, because the reality of the times demanded a certain level of Honor from those who served, and they lived up to it, just like they were expected to.

If they couldn't live up to those demands, and wanted extra attention, then they left the harsh world of the Service and its Customs and became civilians.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2014, 09:05:05 PM »
Thank you for the answer, Sir!

SQQ

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com