Author Topic: .45 load question  (Read 2955 times)

Offline I Ben Robbed

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
.45 load question
« on: October 30, 2005, 11:18:32 PM »
Howdy.

I finished getting all my equipment today, will be mounting the press and setting everything up tomorrow when i get home from work. 

It'll be another month yet before I can get my hands on a can of Goex.  So right now all I have is Pyrodex P.  Previously, loadin with someone else's equipment, the .45 LC cases were just filled with Goex 3F and topped with a 250 grain bullet.  If I have to use Pyrodex, can I still fill the case or do I need to use less of it? 

Also, my supplier has informed me that when I pick up my Goex he may only have 2F.  Which should be fine for .45s, but do I need to adjust the load?  If it handled a full cartridge of 3F, it should handle a full cartride of 2F shouldnt it?  Do I need to switch primers if I use the 2F powder?

Thanks for any replies!

Offline Jax Orebetter

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Jax's Poker Table
  • Liked:
Re: .45 load question
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2005, 12:08:55 AM »
You can use the FF or the FFF in 45 Colt. With the 250gr bullet you'll loose about 50fps going from FFF to FF. I use the same primers for both. It'll also work just fine in your shotgun.
Time to fold,
Jax Orebetter
~WARTHOG~

Offline I Ben Robbed

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2005, 11:43:23 AM »
Thanks for the info on the fps loss.  I dont think it will be a problem, but I'll try some test rounds and if I lose too much I can switch to 230 grain bullets. 

Anyone care to take a swing on the Pyrodex question? 

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:38:23 AM »

Offline Singing Bear

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2005, 04:47:54 PM »
I guess I should get out to more of our matches.  ;D  You could'a asked, but I guess I ain't there enough.   ;)  With the Pyrodex, load them up just as you would Goex although I don't fill my cases to the brim.  I allow for at least 1/8" compression for whatever weight bullet I use in whatever caliber I load.  This reduces the risks of bulged cases or deformed bullets from trying to cram a bullet in an already full case.   Some will say it don't happen, but this is MY experience.  I've had both.  ::)

No need to change primers for any grade of any brand BP or sub, except for 777,  although some prefer using mag primers for BP loads.  I use only standard primers.  I just don't see the need to have all these different primers and such taking up my precious storage space.  ;)

I'll try to get out there in November.  Make a list of questions.  :D

Offline I Ben Robbed

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2005, 07:39:46 PM »
Thanks Singing Bear!  Clell has been doing most of my loading for me, but I finally got everything I need and want to get going loading my own.  I just dont have the BP, wont have any until the next match when I can get some from Kid Limerick (he sold me the press I'm using too).  :)  I figure I have all this Pyrodex sittin here, I might as well put it to use!

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2005, 07:59:00 PM »
Good attitude, I. Ben!  No sense it just settin' there takin' up space!

A lot of folks find that Pyrodex is a bit harder to ignite and so they use Mag primers.  I'm kinda like Singing Bear;  any type of BP I've tried (and I HAVEN'T tried 777, 'cause of the price) goes BANG with whatever primer I use.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com