Author Topic: Uh-Oh! I made a BIG mess!!  (Read 4845 times)

Offline Tangle Eye

• Top Active Citizen
    • Tangle Eye
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Uh-Oh! I made a BIG mess!!
« on: October 18, 2004, 12:44:22 AM »
 Just in case you ever wondered if aluminum foil will melt and stick to a glass cook-top stove - IT WILL!

Here's the scenario - I needed to get a cake of homemade lube out of the bottom of a metal measuring cup so I could melt it in a double boiler arrangement I use for such things.  So - as always - I was going to use our newish (1 year old) cook-top stove for the chore.  Now - I start thinking (which was the first mistake) "All I want to do is get the bottom of the measuring cup warm so the lube will unstick from it - then I can get it out easily. I'll just set it on the stove for a minute to get the bottom warm." 

OK - not a bad idea.

Then I started thinking again (second mistake) "That measuring cup has been used a lot to melt and pour lube, etc.  its kinda messy on the bottom and I sure don't want to mess up Ima Sleepin's cook-top.  I need to protect the stove."  So - I decided I'd just fold up some aluminum foil and lay it on the eye - then put the metal cup on the foil till it gets warm.  No problem.

So (now bear in mind Ima Sleepin is not in the kitchen and has no idea what I'm up to) I put the foil on the eye - eye gets red hot - lube in bottom of cup gets warm -  I remove cup and lube comes out as I thought it would.  THEN - I turned to get the foil of the cook-top and discovered it has MELTED!!!!!  :o :o :o Uh-Oh!!! So - I got the little scraper out she uses to clean the thing with - it just smears the aluminum worse!!  ::) :o  AND - to make matters worse - I burned her favorite pot-lifter protecting my hand while I was scraping.  :-[

So - I casually stroll to the back of the house where my sweet wife is and say "Honey - ever thought of getting a new cook top?"  :-*

Let me tell you boys - I've got a jewel of a wife!  I didn't even get yelled at.  We worked on it a bit after it cooled but - there is no hope.  We're on the way to Sears in the morning first thing to get a new cook top and a hot plate for me to use with my stuff.  :-[
Warthog, SBSS #506, Sons of Confederate Veterans Camp #219, NRA Life

Offline T.J. McSuds

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Uh-Oh! I made a BIG mess!!
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2004, 07:36:54 AM »
 TE,
  I bought a small crock pot to melt and store lube in. It was $10 at WallyWorld. It takes a while to melt but keeps the mess contained. I pan lube and transfer the lube from the crockpot to the pan with a turkey baster. As I lube in a small pan doing a dozen bullets at a time, it works great. I bought 6 small teflon coated loaf pans, each holds 12 bullets. I let them cool awhile, punch out the bullets and either put the block back in the crockpot or in a separate container for later use.
T.J. McSuds
 Double Duelist Darksider, Warthog, BOLD, SBSS, NRA, IDPA.

Offline Jax Orebetter

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Jax's Poker Table
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2004, 07:39:13 AM »
That sounds a lot like something I would do!  :o Your Mrs. handled that a lot better than mine would have!
Time to fold,
Jax Orebetter
~WARTHOG~

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:35:37 PM »

Offline Tangle Eye

• Top Active Citizen
    • Tangle Eye
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2004, 12:10:53 PM »
Just got back from Sears.  New cooktop will be in next week.   :)

Yeah - I couldn't believe she was so calm about the whole thing.  I felt like a kid who's wrecked Dad's car -- I didn't EVEN want to show the mess to her when I did it.  She seemed more upset about the $5 oven mitt than the stove. Anyway - I won't be tryin that again.  I bought myself a $10 hot plate to handle my stove-top needs.  8)

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2004, 12:26:32 PM »
One of the hadiest items at times in my reloading room is a toaster oven I got for free, it had a bad cord.  It would have done fine for that.  I often use it to keep ingots hot while casting.  a ingot that is alread hot will melt very quickly.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Cactus Cris

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2004, 10:54:14 PM »
When I need to melt lube or get anything hot-  I use my heat gun.  Looks like a hair dryer but on steriods.  Will melt bees wax, heat a cold mold quick, will loosen up a tight nipple (cap & ball) ;) ::).  Real handy item for less than $60.00.   I stay out o the kitchen with projects! ;D
Darksider- Gpa of 5- Rabid  C&Br,   DGB, Scorrs, ACSA, RSCAS,TONTO RIMM,  SASS #2790, 31 & counting Clean match's

Offline Lou Graham

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2004, 10:23:55 AM »
That's a great story & with a happy ending, too!
It's MY dang kitchen, but I've made a couple of big messes while on the learning curve of reloading and cleaning the Holy Black.

Soot Lady
You can never be too thin, too rich or have too much ammo

Offline Tangle Eye

• Top Active Citizen
    • Tangle Eye
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2004, 06:21:35 PM »
Well - I got the new cooktop in last night and all is well in the kitchen again.  Not that I'M going to be doing anything in there associated with HEAT!  :o :o :o 8)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com