Author Topic: To heck with the 311, I ORDERED A NORINCO JW-2000  (Read 10164 times)

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
To heck with the 311, I ORDERED A NORINCO JW-2000
« on: April 14, 2017, 09:59:55 PM »
Reloading the Stevens 311 was Painfully slow at the last match.  The springs were so heavy (rebounding it part way close under spring pressure), I had to man handle it to stay open to do my reloads.  You could have timed me with a sundial on a stage we had that was 12 rounds shotgun!  My stage time for it was the same as the other 5 stages together.  After researching the web, I found that this is a design flaw of the Stevens, and there is really no way to fix it.

I ordered a Century (Norinco) JW-2000 hammered coach gun for $250 +$20 shipping.  I know they flip open easily, and I'll polish the chambers!  Besides a hammered double will go better with the 1860 Henry and two 1872 Open Tops!

I realize Norincos are not top tier, but they are very serviceable. Also considering I have spent a fortune in the last month re-arming, the Norinco will do for now.  Realistically I do MAYBE one local match a month and don't give a d@mn about scores.  The Savage 311 is beyond aggravating, though, and at least the Norinco is less aggravating.  I had a Norinco before as my back up and loaner shotgun, and it was actually OK.  Besides, I had a Norinco double before that I used as mu back-up and loaner.  It worked pretty well.

In the last 60 days, I already spent "the big bucks" on the 1860 Henry, a pair of Open Tops, and a Trapdoor Springfield 45-70.  In my estimation, Cimmaron is a little too proud of their doubles. I'd be north of $700 by the time I pay Cimarron, shipping and extortion dealer charges. That goes for the Rossi Coach guns you see on Gunbroker  $900, really?  I have less than $350 into the Norinco, including dealer and DROS.  I'll probably hang on to the Stevens as a back up, unless someone gives me $200!
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: To heck with the 311, I ORDERED A NORINCO JW-2000
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 10:02:48 PM »
Came into my dealer today.  Not too bad. Sure, it is not a Cimarron. It opens easy, and stays open, and the hammers aren't to tight.  I get it out of Californication 10 day Jail in time for High Sierra Shoot Out at Railroad Flat.  I'll have some time to polish the chambers before the match.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Buffalo Creek Law Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 10:21:27 PM »
I use the same one and it is my go to shotgun.  Polished the chambers and it is flawless. Been using it steady for the past 11 years and never had a problem
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:13:28 PM »

Offline Bibbyman

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 99098
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 01:56:59 AM »
You think you were slow.  Here I am shooting an original Colt 1878 10 gauge with antique USMC brass hulls pulled from a 12 gauge slide I tried to stretch to fit 10 gauge. 40 degrees and overcast on New Years day. The gun weights over 10 pounds. 

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 10:58:32 PM »
Picked it up today.  pretty cool. Safety does not automatically engage, it swings open easily, and hammers are not too heavy.  Now all I have to do is polish the chambers!  Way easier to unload and load than that darn Stevens 311!
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 11:33:33 PM »
...Way easier to unload and load than that darn Stevens 311!

And hammers are always cooler than hammerless   8)

Offline Buffalo Creek Law Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 09:22:07 AM »
I had to put a c clip on the safety to keep it in the off position.  When you lay the shotgun on its side, the safety would push to the on position when it touched the table.  Then you get up to shoot the stage and it won't fire because the safety was on.
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 09:47:22 AM »
The new Norinco's don't have the push button side safety, but rather a standard tang safety.  I know what you are talking about though, as my last Norinco had the side button.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2017, 08:23:43 PM »
Update:  I bought this used, cheap, from a dealer on gunbroker.  When I got it, it was dirty, but they had apparently quick mop oiled the bore.  As I was leaving town the day I picked it up, I merely put it in a silicon sock, and threw it in the safe since I did not have time to mess with it.  Fast forward three weeks until I am back and town and pull it out of the safe to clean it to get ready for a match...

Oh CR@P!  Apparently it had been fired black with powder, and they had not cleaned it at all.  It corroded and caked rust, and pitted under they oil.  I have never seen a shotgun barrel that rusted!  I contacted the seller, and they told me to kiss their $%@ basically and blamed me, even though it was taken from the FFL to safe in a gun sock.  I am beyond furious.  They finally said if I paid to ship it back and paid shipping for the replacement, they would send another, but I would be responsible to pay another $100 for the FFL fees and DROS on my end and the return shipping both ways.  Thats the better part of $200 it would cost me because they didn't clean a shotgun that had fired black powder!.

Well, after about 6 hours of scrubbing and reaming, it is at least serviceable.   CAVEAT EMPTOR......

Would it help to shoot some steel shot or slugs down the bore?
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2017, 02:46:59 AM »
If it weren't for bad luck , you'd have no luck at all.  ???
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2017, 09:29:54 AM »
If it weren't for bad luck , you'd have no luck at all.  ???

LOL!  Dang.  I could have had new for $40 more from a different vendor, but I figured it was a beater anyway.  I was absolutely astounded by their inability to accept responsibility.  OH well, I have a line on a TTN hammered.  This can be my back up.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2017, 10:36:38 AM »
In answer to your question.  No.  Firing steel shot or slugs will not help your bore.  Depending on how deep the Pitts are, a full hone may not do you much good.

Coffinmaker

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2017, 10:49:14 AM »
Thanks,

The pits are very superficial, more like a dark frosty.  I know Norinco bores are lacking anyway.  The plan is to get a TTN double when I can afford it, and use this as a back-up/loaner.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2017, 05:59:46 PM »
Now your on the right track, I bought my TTn in 2004 back Walt Johnson kept the lights on....haven't needed a back up.
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2017, 06:44:54 PM »
Well, I have been using the hammered Norinco for about four months one to two matches a month, and including the 4 day High Sierra Shootout annual match, and I love it!  Granted, it is loose as a goose (though that makes it pop open easy), and the bore looks more like a water pipe than a shotgun barrel (the fault of the prior owner shooting BP and not cleaning it before it was shipped to me).  The empties fall from the chamber when I kick the barrels open and back, no matter what ammo I use.  It points well, and I never miss a shotgun target, except for an occasional clay pigeon on the poppers.

I took off the lock plates and was surprised to see coil springs for the hammers, instead of leaf springs.  Also after 4 months of heavy use, I saw no discernible wear on the sears, etc. Considering I paid $250 for it, I'm not complaining.  I like the sling swivels, and have a 1" wide buffalo hide strap (from Ebay) on it.  It is handy when leaving the unloading table to hang it muzzle down, action open headed back to the gun cart.  It leaves one hand free (with the other holding the rifle).
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com