Author Topic: East Coast Cavalry Competition  (Read 1315 times)

Offline S. Quentin Quale, Esq.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
East Coast Cavalry Competition
« on: September 08, 2010, 09:14:07 PM »
We leave in the a.m. for Secret Passage Ranch, Ft. Valley, VA and the East Coast Cavalry Competition.

http://www.secretpassageranch.com/competition.html

We have a good time and spectators (or last minute participants) are always welcome.

Just look for the Gracefully Aging Naval Aviator on the gray horse.   ;)

SQQ

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
Re: East Coast Cavalry Competition
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 07:51:13 AM »
How'd this turn out?

I had other things planned but wished I had know sooner of the event.
Mathew 5.9

Offline S. Quentin Quale, Esq.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 05:03:52 PM »
The event went very well!   ;)

We had folks representing periods from the War of 1812 through modern times.  We even had some folks representing, I think, Anti-Communist Insurgents from the Spanish Civil War.  That was a real first for me.   :)

Personally, I managed second place in Military Equitation (Level II), Mounted Pistol (Level I), and Mounted Saber (Level 1).  My wife took first in Military Equitation (Level I) using my horse (her's still needs some "polish").  The parties were good, the weather outstanding, the companionship companiable, and the food first rate.  What more can you ask for????   ;D

The profits from the event, as well as from food sales, go to a Wounded Warrior group that is supported by the Ranch.  They have folks out regularly who learn that amputations and other disabilities do not preclude working with horses.  They had some great photos.  I'm on their mailing list and we're going to try and get up there a few times over the next year to work with them.  The downside is the 450 mile drive with a horse trailer; the upside is the trailer has an small living quarters that works fine in non-freezing weather.

We got to talking with some folks and they confirmed something that I had heard before, specifically, that there's a re-enactment group in the Richmond area that portrays the SS-Kavallerie-Division Florian Geyer.  I've spent something close to 50 years of my life defending the Consitution, including the First Amendment, but this kind of sticks in my craw.  These guys were not there and I don't know how the sponsor of our event would feel about them.  Nazi Germany is the one period of history not permitted at the National Cavalry Competitions sponsored by the U.S. Cavalry Association.  I guess in our free society people can do what they wish, but sometimes a legal activity can still be a pretty bad idea.  And if they can do this I guess I can say it's a monumentally bad idea.

I don't know about next year, but when I do I'll post it!

SQQ

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:31:19 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com