Author Topic: Span-Am weapons used MUCH later than thought!  (Read 7852 times)

Offline Captain Lee Bishop

• Rough Rider, 1st US Cav (USV)
  • Top Active Citizen
  • ..on your order, Colonel Roosevelt!
    • Thunderbolt Productions
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Span-Am weapons used MUCH later than thought!
« on: April 27, 2009, 08:21:50 PM »
Look at this photo from WW2 (post-1942, from the details on the vehicles):
Focus on the MG’s manned by the men standing in the backs of the Jeeps. Those are M1895 Colt machine guns from the Spanish-American war era! They also look like they’re mounted on either camera or optic tripods. I know the home front dealt with older equipment but I wouldn’t have believed this if I wasn’t looking at the photo of it!

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Re: Span-Am weapons used MUCH later than thought!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 09:11:11 PM »
Hello!
     The Navy often had to make do with older and less desirable weapons, for the simple reason no one thought they'd have to face a first tier enemy force (SeaBees excepted).  The BAR in the near Jeep looks to be a pretty early one with the checkered forend, and the sailor in the third Jeep to the right has what looks to be a Reising submachine gun.  The Marine Corps considered it just a little better than the Cheu Chat (sp) of World War 1 infamy.  The vessel in the background looks to be pretty old, too.  Possibly even a sailing vessel from the looks of it.  Our old sailors would know better.  Neat photograph!
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 09:47:41 PM »
Any idea the source for the picture?  I'd guess a photo op of some sort, might even be some thing from Hollywood like a propaganda shoot.  Few in the general public would have known the differance.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:46:29 PM »

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 11:15:43 PM »
Howdy, Pards,
Could that ship be a Yangtze River patrol boat?  Maybe the Panay?  Could this be a PRE-WWII photo?  Check the boat between the larger ship and the dock.  Sure looks a bit dated.  White hats sitting just in front of the smaller boat appear to have rifles with LONG bayonets attached to Springfields(?)! Those longer bayonets were mostly cut down during WWII!  Fun guessing, regardless!
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 07:05:34 AM »
Yep, That's a Reising alright. I carried one in my patrol car in the 70s, the thing shot good.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Charles Isaac

• Grand Army of the Frontier
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 09:20:44 AM »
The first Jeep prtotype hit the scene in 1940 and the Reising came along sometime thereafter so that is late for a "Potato Digger" to still be in service. Still news to me and thanks for the picture.

I was wondering if there was enough room with that mount for the flapper type operating arm to swing underneath the gun! Been a while since I handled one.

Random thoughts, for what they are worth, Lewis guns were still used by the Marines and Navy in WWII. The Navy still issues the original wood stocked  M14 and the Marines use a Sage stocked railed match grade M14 as a combat marksmans rifle!

This is now and that was then. Small arms technology flew at light speed from the 1890s to a little after WWII. The M16 was adopted y the Air Force in 1962 -47 years ago-  and it's still standard issue for all services. How things have changed!

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 12:11:14 PM »
Minesweepers in WW2 carried Krag infantry rifles in their armourys.  They were used to detonate swept mines, as the Krag round had excellent penetration, and the long rifles stabilized nicely on the rolling decks.  It is thought that the first American round fired off Normandy may well have come from one of these Krags.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Captain Lee Bishop

• Rough Rider, 1st US Cav (USV)
  • Top Active Citizen
  • ..on your order, Colonel Roosevelt!
    • Thunderbolt Productions
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 09:20:11 PM »
Could this be a PRE-WWII photo? 
Nope, not a chance at all of that. The Jeeps are Ford GPW Jeeps, the particular design didn't get put into production until early 1942 at the absolute earliest, as the front ends on models before that looked totally differenct. Other details on the Jeeps themselves strongly suggests to me they're probably late 42 or early 43 models but I won't go into that in detail.

Offline Old Top

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 01:43:06 AM »
Capt. Bishop,

I would say that you are on the money with the early 43 estimate.  The tripod though looks like some of the long range binocular stands and made out of metal tube, if I remember correctly they were reinforced and welded to the body pan of the jeep.

Old Top
I only shoot to support my reloading habit.

Offline Pony Racer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 06:43:19 AM »
Capt. - thanks for sharing that is a cool photo!!  Showed this photo to my father - who was Korea era enlisted, vietnam era officer in Navy.

While photo is before his time, he relayed that this looks like a typical picture of either a base patrol muster or pier master muster with security personnel present -  that he has seen elsewhere from same time frame.  He also mentioned that the amount of equipment needed to outfit Navy bases in the 40's especially in the Pacific starined available resources and anything that still worked, old trucks, weapons, aircraft, etc... was used

Heck while I was on ships in early 90's our preferred line throwing gun was still a 1903 springfield converted a bit for its new mission, the M-16 version did not have enough "umph" for anything other than training in good weather only.

When you had to get that tow line over or mooring lines in bad weather and wind - that ole springfield never failed my guys.  I even had to use it once due to the sensitivities of people parking their cars where they shouldn't have.

I didn't mean to - but i busted the heck out of someones window in their new truck that day - the admin staffer from the base, parked in a clearly marked no parking area, was not pleased but my skipper met him on the brow and took care of it.

PR
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy
Member Fire & Brimstone Posse
Having fun learning the ways of the cowboy gun
WAHOOOOOOOOOO YEHAWWWWWWW

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com