Author Topic: Kansas GRAND ARMY OF THE FRONTIER Championship Shoot March 24-25, Topeka, KS  (Read 20203 times)

Offline Chantilly

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
The Kansas GAF Championship Shoot is on for March 24-25 hosted by the Capital City Cowboys, Topeka.  8 stages (4 Saturday and 4 Sunday) with side matches on Saturday afternoon.  Two gun shoot - 1 pistol, 1 pistol caliber rifle.  Stages will be true (as best we can) to the military on the Kansas frontier c 1866-1900.  [We know our teepees were cheezy last summer but we tried.]Lunch will be provided both days.  Saturday night campfire cookout will be provided.  Cost is only $30.00!!  Dry camping is free.  There are a few electical hookups for those that prefer more modern camping at $5.00 per night.  The range will be available for early arrival campers on Friday afternoon.  Just a reminder that March weather in Kansas can still be rather nippy (COLD).

Registration form should be available in the next couple of days.  Hope EVERYONE can make the shoot - this is not limited to Kansas shooters at all.  HOWEVER, a Kansas Championship Iron Trooper  and Trooperess awards will be presented to the top Kansas GAF male and female Shooters - must be a member of GAF to be eligible for the Kansas Iron Trooper award.  Hope we can drum up some new GAF recruits from Kansas.  Medals will be given 1st through 3rd place in all categories regardless of state or affiliation.   :) 

Hope to see you all in Topeka!
A six-shooter makes men and women equal.  - Agnes Morley Cleaveland (1818-1889)

I should like a little fun now and then.  Life is altogether too sober.  - Elizabeth Blackwell (1821-1910)

Offline Chantilly

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Little correction to time period - make that beginning 1858 -  I knew there was some discussion a while back about the time period and agreement as stated on the GAF website.  (Now we can have the raid on Lawrence  ;D - oh that was a nasty one.....)

I should like a little fun now and then.  Life is altogether too sober.  - Elizabeth Blackwell (1821-1910)

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Bloody Kansas!  Sign me up :)
Major Matt Lewis
Grand Army of the Frontier * SASS Life * NCOWS * Powder Creek Cowboys * Free State Ranges * RO II * NRA Life * Man on the Edge

Advertising

Offline Chantilly

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Another thing.....we're trying to design some side matches that are not the traditional "speed" matches.  We'd like side matches more in keeping with the GAF.  We are limited a bit because the range we are using is a "pistol range" - not enough space or high enough berms for long range nor can we do forward moving - BUT....with that said I don't think you will be disappointed - especially, if you all share some of your ideas.   8)  Please feel free to share your creative thoughts on side matches and even main match stages.   What would YOU like to see in a GAF match (appreciate ideas that will work with our range limitations).

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
So who's coming?
Major Matt Lewis
Grand Army of the Frontier * SASS Life * NCOWS * Powder Creek Cowboys * Free State Ranges * RO II * NRA Life * Man on the Edge

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
I will be there, if I get the pasture fence built before the match.
And 2+ more miles I have to patch up 
I have 1-1/2 miles of 5-wire I need to get up.
When is the cut-off date?

MG
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline Bow View Haymaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
How do we sign up? Do you have room for vendors?  How far is the range from Topeka or other nearest town?  What time is registration?  I'm not GAF but want to check it out and I'd like ot bring some cast bullets along to sell if I could.

pjarens@frontiernet.net

Bow View Haymaker
Bellwood NE
Bow View Haymaker

GAF #522  Dept of the Platte
SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

www.HighPlainsShootersSupply.com

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
Boy, Howdy!

Thanks for posting this, Ms. Chantilly!  Sounds fun.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
I'm not GAF

pjarens@frontiernet.net

Bow View Haymaker
Bellwood NE

Why not? Enlistment is free and easy. Just go to http://www.grandarmyofthefrontier.org/ and follow the "enlist" link
BTW you may want to mark your calendar for April 14. We're hosting the Grand Army of the Frontier Department of the Missouri Headquarters shoot near Ord NE. The event will include some unique shooting opportunities, a tour of historic Fort Hartsuff with a banquet (catered by Delmonico) and dance in the post barracks. The Headquarters shoot will be limited to the 1st 50 GAF shooters (though we will be able to accept more camp followers at the banquet and dance) As I said Gaf enlistment is free and easy so the GAF requirement souldn't be too tough.
I'll have more info on the Headquarters shoot here in the barracks in the nest week or 2 including info on registration.

Where is Bellwood? Your name would sound like a Cozad native just outside of Broken Bow :)
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
How do we sign up? Do you have room for vendors?  How far is the range from Topeka or other nearest town?  What time is registration?  I'm not GAF but want to check it out and I'd like ot bring some cast bullets along to sell if I could.

pjarens@frontiernet.net

Bow View Haymaker
Bellwood NE

Hey pard, the range is in Topeka.  What kind of cast bullets do you offer.  Might could use some .38 Special/.358....Maybe some others too
Major Matt Lewis

Offline Chantilly

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Mr Haymaker - you are most welcome to come and you can bring your bullets to sell as well.  Vendor fee = FREE.  I don't have the registration form done yet but soon and I'll send one to you at the email you posted.  The range is just west out of Topeka about 10 miles. 

Looking forward to seeing everyone!  The weather should be just right for wool!!

Offline Bow View Haymaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Thanks for the welcome everyone.

My CAS alter ego is a farmer from North East Nebraska.  the name Bow View is the name of the farm where I grew up.  It's about a quarter mile from the Bow Creek, which was originally named by a French explorer  "Le River Petite arc" after a Sioux chief Little Bow. 

The bullets we cast are mostly pistol caliber with some .45-70 thrown in. 
If anyones interested e-mail me your address and I can sent yo a price list.

Thanks
Bow View Haymaker

GAF #522  Dept of the Platte
SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

www.HighPlainsShootersSupply.com

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Bow View:

Go ahead & email me your price list.
We are still stuck in UT. 
But I reckon I might be able to find a computer with a printer.

BTW:  Whatcha call yer bullet castin' outfit?

Much obliged,
MG
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline Chantilly

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
REGISTRATION INFORMATION HAS BEEN SENT OUT VIA EMAIL.  If you are interested in attending and did not receive an email about the shoot, please email me at newton2@kansas.net and I will forward the information to you!

This will be a fun shoot!! See the first post in this thread - only $30 for 8 stages, side matches, lunch both days and camp fire cook out on Saturday night.  No frills but lots of shooting fun and time to catch up with your friends after a LONG winter!

HOPE TO SEE YOU AT THE RANGE IN TOPEKA!!

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Chantilly has asked me to help with a Color Guard.  Do I have any volunteers to assist?
Major Matt Lewis

Offline Pvt Hoover

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Major Matt,

Count me in

Pvt Hoover

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Good Deal...Thanks
Major Matt Lewis

Offline Chantilly

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Pvt Hover - thanks for volunteering and we look forward to seeing you at the range!

We've had some folks volunteer up a couple weapons that we will be shooting duriong the match - a mule eared shotgun with black powder rounds and a Spencer!!  For those of you that have shot a mule eared shotgun or shoot black powder, the shotgun probably doesn't sound like such a big deal BUT there are some of us that have never done such so this is really exciting!  Shooting weapons other than what one is used to is one of the things that made the National Muster memorable.  Thank you to Dispatcher, Mushy McNutt, Major Matt Lewis and Grizzle Bear!! 

Also, those that want to shoot cap n'ball can bring 2 pistols and load both for the stages that require reloads for pistols.  We'll work it out to stage the 2nd pistol.  Since cap n'ball shooters are in their own category, this shouldn't cause any problems with scoring. 

We're still thinking through side matches for Saturday afternoon but these will not be the traditional speed matches.  One side match will be shot with pistol only - 10 shots - miss and you are out (dead).  We'll either use a timer to determine a winner if more than 1 person shoots clean through the side match OR those still living will keep shooting the stage until there is only 1 person left living.  One stage will be set up rifle only with the same rules....what do you think?  Suggestions??  Other ideas??

Offline Chantilly

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
One more thing - we'll also shoot a team match if there is enough interest.  We'll set up timbers out in the field.  Teams will shoot using one pistol and one rifle to knock down all of the timbers.  The team that clears the field with the fastest time will win.  This is a fun one - bring plenty of ammo as teams keep shooting until ALL timbers are down - those of us that are "accuracy challenged" can burn up a lot of ammo!   ;D

Offline Pvt Hoover

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Chantilly,

The side matches and the team shoot ideas all sound great.  How much time are you allowin for the afternoon side matches?  Any way we could shoot a mini qual course using our GAF targets and the 20 shot course of fire? Or modify it to fit your course. 

Private Hoover

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com