Author Topic: 66 Yellowboy  (Read 2529 times)

Offline Johnson Barr

• Berger Sharpshooters, KVC, Blue River Regulators #129, Johnson County Rangers, GAF
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS Life, NCOWS Merchant
    • J Barr Texas
  • NCOWS #: L-173
  • GAF #: 830
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: 66 Yellowboy
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2023, 12:42:15 PM »
  I had an early Cimarron '66 short rifle chamber for .32-20. The original owner from Austin had never shot a single round through it. He had it in his safe for more than ten years when I took ownership. The receiver was no long bright and shiny but both sides plates were a much darker color like yours Pappy. I think Abilene is on the right track concerning cast metal receiver vs. plate metal side plate dis-coloration.
   As for my failure to 'polish out' all my work with Pinnacle; made by APP, I simply wet patch the bore every stage with Ballistol mopping any excess with the same wet patches from the receiver. I get threatened regularly with well meaning Riff-Raff with can if Brasso in hand to 'clean' my Trapper model.       Bugger'em all!  ;D
"Peace is that glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading"  -Thomas Jefferson

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2023, 09:29:57 AM »

:) J Barr  ;)

Actually a big PLUS ONE for Johnson Barr you betcha.  Several folks who shoot Brass Rifles at the same clubs as I do, religiously POLISH their rifles.  Bright shiny spots in the middle of a dull gravel shooting bay.  Yuck.

Fortunately for me, everybody has finally stopped with the "Why Aren't YOU Polishing it" stuff.  And offering a can of Brasso.  I like my Brass Rifles to look as well used as they actually are thank you very much.

People are Hazardous to Yer Health!!

Offline Navy Six

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 26385
  • NCOWS #: 1410
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2023, 05:02:36 PM »
I think an even patina looks nice. However, when using my 66's with black powder (which is every time) at Cowboy shoots, I return home with some nasty hard dark deposits on top of the receiver. When I started this 25 years ago I was concerned about possible pitting under that mess. I guess that is an unfounded concern as I have never heard anyone complain about it. However, I developed a habit of at least a moderate polishing to clean that gunk. Old habits die hard so I continue to use Flitz.
Only Blackpowder Is Interesting 
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun." Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 03:17:59 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com