Author Topic: Getting Started  (Read 909 times)

Offline RBK

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Getting Started
« on: January 29, 2022, 09:53:53 PM »
Say one wanted to get started in leather working. What would be the first step?  My grandfather was a horseman and leather maker, but he’s long dead and his tools are long gone. My main interest is in western belts. Not so much gun belts, but nice thick everyday belts. Is there a good book and a basic set of tools to buy to get me started?

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
Re: Getting Started
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2022, 12:43:35 AM »
You will want to have as good knife to cut the leather. For safety. I prefer something that cuts without pulling it toward myself. A general leather knife does well to have a rounded tip so you can rock it or push it away from you. I made my own from a saw blade and it has served me for many years but there are lots of choices out there. I have used it for most leather work since I was in my early 20's.

A round knife can be handy but they can cost quite a lot for a good one. Tandy has one for 49.99, which is the least expensive one to get if you want to go that route. They're not an absolute necessity. I didn't have one until a couple years ago and still don't use it a whole lot. You can find good used ones on ebay for $20-30.

You'll also want a rotary punch or a set of drive punches for making the holes in it. Those can be had at almost any hardware store.

If you want to do decorative work, the Tandy Lucky 7 tool set is great to get you started. For patterns, Al Stohlman's "How To Make Belts" is good.

You'll learn as you make belts if there's anything else you want to add to your tools. Feel free to ask for suggestions here. There are some outstanding leather makers on this forum.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 422
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2022, 06:21:23 AM »
Hobby Lobby has an aisle or at least one side dedicated to hobby leather work,
If you have one nearby...
There you will find the hole punches, edge tools, about doz. assorted stamps and an adjustable strap cutter.
They often have discount coupons.

"Course mail order is also an option, get yourself a Tandy/ Feather Factory catalog and finger shop away  :)

when planets align...do the deal !

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:10:36 PM »

Offline Lucky R. K.

• Purveyor of Fire & Brimstone
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2022, 09:04:11 AM »

You might look at ebay or other auction sites. That is where I got enough tools to get started. After you get into leather working you can add to the tool collection as you need to. I have found leather working is very satisfying.
Good luck

Lucky R. K.

Greene County Regulators       Life NRA             SCORRS
High Country Cowboys            SASS #79366
Gunpowder Creek Regulators   Dirty RATS #568

The Wind is Your Friend

Offline RBK

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2022, 03:18:55 PM »
Thank y’all for taking the time to answer my questions. The belt I’m wearing now is made by versacarry and marketed as a CCW belt. And I will say it does a good job of toting my 1911. It’s exactly 1/4” thick but it almost looks as if it’s two pieces stitched together when you look at the finished edge. I have another belt made by them that is sane thickness, but it has an unfinished edge and looks like it’s one solid piece. I would prefer one solid piece, but also a finished edge. Where would I find leather like this to start with?  I am going to go look for that book that was recommended.

Offline RBK

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2022, 03:21:35 PM »
You will want to have as good knife to cut the leather. For safety. I prefer something that cuts without pulling it toward myself. A general leather knife does well to have a rounded tip so you can rock it or push it away from you. I made my own from a saw blade and it has served me for many years but there are lots of choices out there. I have used it for most leather work since I was in my early 20's.

A round knife can be handy but they can cost quite a lot for a good one. Tandy has one for 49.99, which is the least expensive one to get if you want to go that route. They're not an absolute necessity. I didn't have one until a couple years ago and still don't use it a whole lot. You can find good used ones on ebay for $20-30.

You'll also want a rotary punch or a set of drive punches for making the holes in it. Those can be had at almost any hardware store.

If you want to do decorative work, the Tandy Lucky 7 tool set is great to get you started. For patterns, Al Stohlman's "How To Make Belts" is good.

You'll learn as you make belts if there's anything else you want to add to your tools. Feel free to ask for suggestions here. There are some outstanding leather makers on this forum.

Mr. Marshall, what kind of saw blade is that?  I’ve got a mind to make one myself. Would love to see full pic. I thank you for your time. You’ve always had input when I ask something.

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2022, 03:59:39 PM »
Glad to help. That one was made from a power hacksaw blade. Those might be hard to find these days but you can make one from a circular saw blade with good results. Don't heat the steel too much when you shape it or you'll de-temper the steel and it won't hold an edge. Here are the knives I use these days. The round knife is made from a circular saw blade. The two to the right are also made from saw blades, the one you've already seen. The one on the far right is what I use for most skiving. The green handled one on the left I use to thin down thread for stitching. It stays somewhat dull for that purpose.

Here's a good video that shows how to make a holster but at 2:45 he shows how to use an X-Acyto knife to cut complex shapes from leather. I use one for just that purpose myself, hence the one in the photo. At about 14:50 he shows how to use an edger, which you will also want for your belts.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Davem

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2022, 11:42:50 AM »
RBK- I'd get a Tandy catalog.  There are other sources but they are the largest and most time honored.  I think their tools are of a better quality than Hobby Lobby.  You can stamp leather or carve leather.  If all you want is to do a basket weaver or a repetitive mark along the top and bottom of the belt, that is pretty easy.  I myself did that for years and I'm now starting to "carve" leather (floral patterns) and talk about fun! Wish I had tried it years ago.
1. Get "Leatherworker Manual" from Tandy, probably about $20 more or less.
2. That book will pretty much explain EVERYTHING. At that point just come back here and ask questions. There are a lot of nuanaces.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com