Author Topic: Rawhide lace  (Read 868 times)

Offline Davem

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Rawhide lace
« on: January 04, 2022, 09:55:37 AM »
Tandy sells 1/8" wide rawhide lace but I think 3/16 looks more like what you see on photos of old holsters.  Anyone know where I get get any?

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: Rawhide lace
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2022, 09:37:26 AM »

:)  Well ...  ;)

I'm not a Leather Crafter by any description.  However, when needing to "lace" something like a Lever Wrap, or Barrel Wrap, I've be using Boot Laces sourced from the local shoe store.  Seems to be about 3/16, or so.

Play Safe Out There

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2022, 11:01:11 AM »
It's not rawhide but Kentucky Leather & Hides has some 3/16" latigo lace. Maybe they would have a source for it.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:29:38 AM »

Offline Davem

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2022, 09:32:15 AM »
No, not latigo. Remember part of our "thing" is re-creating what was and the kind of rawhide that used to be used in dog chew toys- that's the kind I am seeking.  I might have to cut it myself. Some folks seem to do it easy but I've always had trouble. You can get 1/4" rawhide lace but I cut some paper strips 1/4" wide and tested that for appearance and it doesn't look the same. 3/16" is really what I think is best.
Let's talk about this a little....if you see an original holster with rawhide lace, the wraps are usually right next to each other. The only way you can create that is to punch the slits at a 45 degree angle such that the top of one slit lines up with the bottom on the next slit.  I just finished my first holster and I practiced on some scrap leather to lay out the spacing. A Tandy rotary tool to mark spaces- 10 to the inch, that worked well for 3/16" wide lace BUT I DIDN'T take into account curves.  If the bottom of the holster pouch is sewn- and curved, that area and then the big curve near the trigger, the lace is like spokes on a wheel and on the curves it will have gaps between the wraps so you need to bunch up on the slit spacing on outside curves.  Who ever made those old time holsters knew what they were doing as the wraps are all right next to each other.

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 797
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2022, 09:56:11 AM »
Hi
Springfield Leather has 1/4 x 50-foot rawhide lace.  They can cut LEATHER to size, but rawhide is harder to cut.  I think you cut it while its wet.

https://www.springfieldleather.com/Lace-Rawhide-Nat-1-4x50

Springfield leather is good to work with, you may be able to get 3/16 rawhide, or 1/4 inch might work.

Later
Mike
BOSS #230

Brevet Lieutenant Colonel
Division of Oklahoma

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2022, 06:28:36 PM »
No, not latigo. Remember part of our "thing" is re-creating what was and the kind of rawhide that used to be used in dog chew toys- that's the kind I am seeking.  I might have to cut it myself. Some folks seem to do it easy but I've always had trouble. You can get 1/4" rawhide lace but I cut some paper strips 1/4" wide and tested that for appearance and it doesn't look the same. 3/16" is really what I think is best.
Let's talk about this a little....if you see an original holster with rawhide lace, the wraps are usually right next to each other. The only way you can create that is to punch the slits at a 45 degree angle such that the top of one slit lines up with the bottom on the next slit.  I just finished my first holster and I practiced on some scrap leather to lay out the spacing. A Tandy rotary tool to mark spaces- 10 to the inch, that worked well for 3/16" wide lace BUT I DIDN'T take into account curves.  If the bottom of the holster pouch is sewn- and curved, that area and then the big curve near the trigger, the lace is like spokes on a wheel and on the curves it will have gaps between the wraps so you need to bunch up on the slit spacing on outside curves.  Who ever made those old time holsters knew what they were doing as the wraps are all right next to each other.

Dave  I have worked with rawhide a bit - made my own from kangaroo hide - plaited a 24 string finish bosal (even figured the pineapple knot) and a 16 plait aussie style stockwhip -- the secret with rawhide is moisture content when you are working it - get that right and you can do a heap of things with it that tanned leather just will not do. I'm guessing but maybe those old holsters have an oval kind of hole that would allow the lace to curl in the hole and then flatten for the external wraps - damp rawhide would do that where leather would not. Just a thought? 

Offline Graveyard Jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • aka CraigC
    • Graveyard Jack's Custom Sixgun Leather
  • SASS #: 81,827
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2022, 10:50:35 AM »
I'll look at what I have. I know I have two different widths but never got around to using it. Should be able to tell where it came from.
SASS #81,827

Offline Graveyard Jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • aka CraigC
    • Graveyard Jack's Custom Sixgun Leather
  • SASS #: 81,827
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2022, 02:47:32 PM »
Sorry, I thought for sure I had two spools but only found one. It's 1/4" wide and came from Tandy.
SASS #81,827

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com