Author Topic: Help with steel target holder - Advice Needed  (Read 1334 times)

Offline Buckshot Bear

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Help with steel target holder - Advice Needed
« on: July 17, 2021, 09:10:59 PM »
G'day all,

I have received our water cut AR500 steel plates for our new SA range that our club is setting up (brand new discipline for our shooting club).

I'm still stumped as to how to make the target holders to hang the steel plates. The police down here (who approve shooting ranges) dislike the use of reinforcement rod as holders because it increases the odds of not knowing where lead splatter can predictably go.

So we will be buying round steel to make the frames, just really need some photos of the backs of steel targets so I can get an idea of what needs to be fabricated to hold the plates in place and how the angle is achieved.

If anyone could be so kind the next time they are at their club if they could take some photos, it would be incredibly appreciated.  :)

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Buckshot Bear

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: Help with steel target holder - Advice Needed
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2021, 12:05:03 AM »
Google is your source

https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A0geKI9nrfNgGloAUnNXNyoA;_ylu=Y29sbwNiZjEEcG9zAzEEdnRpZAMEc2VjA3BpdnM-?p=steel+target+stands+for+shooting+range&fr2=piv-web&fr=ymyy-t-s

G'day and thanks, looking through those pics they mainly look like IPSC target setups, no problem there as we have plenty of them on our range.

I can fabricate and weld up these stands no problem out of round steel bar -
http://www.cliffhangershideout.com/SteelStable/Stand&AK.htm

What's got me totally beat is I don't understand what I need to do at the back of the steel target(s) to hang the steel targets off the stand.

Do you guys incline them at an angle so that the lead is directed downward? That's where I'm stuck.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:15:13 AM »

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2021, 12:57:50 AM »
I made these with both a single hole and 3/4 square tube hanger  ,
 the A frame I use has a slightly bent hanger pin ,  so I get about a 15 degrees slant .

I also have a bullet trap design I made and these ballistic poly Evil Roy targets hang vertically 

* ballistic poly Evil Roy targets, (I make these as well) 

FYI > both the yellow square & diamond plate are mounted @ 15 degrees on single vertical post (adj. for height - 1-3 foot )
The card painted plates  are swingers. 
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2021, 10:35:46 AM »

Go to "MADEtargets" and look at their "folding target stand".  It shows the angle plate welded to the top of the stand and how to bolt the target to the stand.  The stand is made from flat bar stock.

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3882
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 573
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2021, 02:59:48 PM »
G'day and thanks, looking through those pics they mainly look like IPSC target setups, no problem there as we have plenty of them on our range.

I can fabricate and weld up these stands no problem out of round steel bar -
http://www.cliffhangershideout.com/SteelStable/Stand&AK.htm

What's got me totally beat is I don't understand what I need to do at the back of the steel target(s) to hang the steel targets off the stand.

Do you guys incline them at an angle so that the lead is directed downward? That's where I'm stuck.

YES! Mine are inclined to direct the lead downward and are also hung so they can swing.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com