Author Topic: The Big Fifty  (Read 2240 times)

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
The Big Fifty
« on: February 19, 2021, 08:06:04 PM »
Since 1985 when I first read the story of Billy Dixon's mile long shot at the second battle of Adobe Walls in 1874, I've wanted a Sharps '74 in 50 2-1/2" Sharps Straight. Also known as the 50-90 Sharps this is the "Big Fifty" of legend and lore, not the 50 3-1/4" according to most authorities.

Well I finally found a used one when I had the money to do something about it. It is a Shiloh Sharps Business Rifle with a 28" round barrel, a plane walnut stock, the military steel butt plate, and simple barrel sights. All that is fine with me and I finally got around to shooting it earlier this week.

My first shot was at a 2" Magic Marker square on a piece of cardboard at 25 yards to see where the sights were looking. A 50 caliber hole appeared at 12 O'Clock on the square and I was in business. Next I picked out a rock on the side of a desert ridge, which one of my shooting buddy's range finder said was 135 yards away. Shooting off-hand I proceeded to scare the bejebers out of that football sized rock with the next 9 rounds. I hit all around it often close enough to make us think I might have actually hit it. No matter. Every shot put a smile on my face, even when my reconstructed shoulder declared it had had enough.

No pictures yet but you all know what a Shiloh Model '74 looks like. Well this is the plainest, least fancy version of that rifle. Not very pretty but it suits me just fine. Now I have to find more bullets and powder.

PS: I finally got a picture.  And with Marshal's help here it is.

Dave

Offline Kent Shootwell

• Top Active Citizen
  • Got whiskey, will stumble.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
Re: The Big Fifty
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2021, 08:28:43 PM »
Great find, everybody needs a big fifty!
Little powder much lead shoots far kills dead.
Member, whiskey livers
AKA Phil Coffins, AKA Oliver Sudden

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2021, 09:17:34 PM »
"Father, forgive me, for I have sinned.  I am incredibly jealous of Dave T's Big 50."

Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:09:14 AM »

Offline Cap'n Redneck

• Commd'g Co. D, Frontier Batt'n, Texas Rangers.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Cap'n Redneck SWS #163.
  • GAF #: 273
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2021, 11:15:26 PM »
" ...even when my reconstructed shoulder declared it had had enough."

Sounds to me like there are two paths to choose between:

1.  Quote the "Gung-ho Special Forces" who often declare: "Pain is just weakness leaving the body...!"

2.  Personally I've been known to drill a 3/4" hole under the buttplate, and fill it with a 5" long leadbar.
Improves the balance of the gun, and certainly tames the recoil...
(You might want to cast the leadbar inside a thin-walled piece of pipe.  If not, it will upset by the repeated recoil and get stuck inside the stock.  Don't ask me how I know...!)
"As long as there's lead in the air, there's still hope..."
Frontiersman & Frontiersman Gunfighter: The only two categories where you can play with your balls and shoot your wad while tweaking the nipples on a pair of 44s.

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2021, 03:45:28 AM »
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2021, 08:54:55 AM »
Cap'n, I might just try that. At my age and condition I'm not going to be carrying this thing for any great distances, just from the truck to the firing line (even if that's out in the desert). I did take the precaution of wearing a magnum shoulder pad, still 10 round woke my artificial should up and reminded me it isn't 100%.

Drydock, I tried slugging the bore and calculating the twist while I was at it. It didn't go very well so I called Shiloh. The lady on the phone told me all their 50 caliber barrels are 1-22".

They also told me to never use a bullet larger than .510". Everybody else is recommending .511"-.512" for 50-70s or 50-90s. The bullets I shot earlier this week were .510" and I just ordered some .512"s. Time and powder supply will tell eventually.

Dave

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2021, 09:34:30 AM »
Just have a look down the bore.  If it makes one full twist before the muzzle it is 1/22.  Been using .512s myself, that's the sizer I have. 

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2021, 10:01:23 AM »
Lee has a .510 sizer, might try that sometime. 

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2021, 10:56:44 AM »
Cast bullets can be larger, as long as a loaded cartridge fits the chamber. You may also experiment with unsized bullets (less deformation) and pan-lube, or the finger smear method that I use.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2021, 11:55:46 AM »
Yep. My .512s have been under 2 moa.  Pretty sure .510 is lawyer talk.  But like to experiment.

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2021, 03:43:42 PM »
I've ordered two other bullet designs from Montana Bullet Works, both sized to .512", cast from their 1-16 alloy, and of course lubed with SPG. One is a 450g RCBS design and the other is an NEI 505g. That one aught to punch the shoulder pretty good. (smile)

I was surprised to read in a recent "Black Powder Cartridge News" that the oft recommended alloys of 1-20, 1-30, and even 1-40 tin to lead are not necessarily correct. The author found documentation showing some of the Creedmore competitors using bullets cast from 1-16 alloy. I've also read the military's 45-70 were loaded with 1-16 projectiles. And all these years I thought 1-20 or softer were the only appropriate black powder alloys. Shows I can still learn stuff at 72. LOL

Dave

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2021, 05:03:21 PM »
There's a thread on the Shiloh "Shooter to shooter" forum that's been running since 2004 (!) called "Trends in BPCR long range shooting"  It's almost never off the 1st page, and is a fascinating read thru the years as assumptions fall by the wayside.  Always looking for the next thing to tighten the group, and often rediscovering that the ODGs might have known what they were doing!  Current thought is harder is better, preventing nose slump,  though how hard is unsure.  The army used 16/1, and many are liking that.  The paper patch guys are playing with dual diameter bullets, chamber dimensions and leade angles. 

The Shiloh forum is a great resource. 

Most still agree though, start at 20-1 and then let the rifle tell you what it likes.  Much of loading for these rifles is found in learning the language your rifle speaks!

Offline Pitspitr

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2021, 02:57:40 PM »
Since this thread started with;
Since 1985 when I first read the story of Billy Dixon's mile long shot at the second battle of Adobe Walls in 1874, I've wanted a Sharps '74 in 50 2-1/2" Sharps Straight. Also known as the 50-90 Sharps this is the "Big Fifty" of legend and lore
...I think you should attempt a mile shot with it and I just happen to know of a range that would allow that. The range owner reserves the right to attempt the shot too; just to make certain it's safe, you know.  ;D
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Arizona Trooper

• Top Active Citizen
    • Civil War Guns
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2021, 07:07:25 PM »
Congratulations Dave! I know you have been looking for that rifle for a long time! I'll drop you a line when I get back home from Indiana next week.

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2021, 08:20:34 PM »
 Loading that rifle with 1 f powder will help keep the recoil down. Also a limbsaver slip on recoil pad will help tame the thing a bunch. Some of those Shiloh 50's are made with a 1 -36 twist, but even the 1-22 twist will handle the 500ish grain bullets well. You'll also want to use a .060 fiber wad under the bullet.
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com