Author Topic: Battle of Plevna - July 30, 1877  (Read 2193 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Battle of Plevna - July 30, 1877
« on: February 15, 2011, 05:55:56 PM »
As a newbie on the site and owner/shooter of both a Henry and '66 in 44-40, I thought it about time to get on this page.

Most of you are probably aware of the fact that the Turks made good use of the '66 Winchester carbine in the Russo-Turkish conflict of 1877-78. The main armament of the Turks was the Peabody-Martini in .45-55 Turkish, but the crafty Turks took the '66 carbines from their cavalry and re-issued them to their infantry to off-set the discipline of the Russian troops. It worked.

The .44 Turkish RF was similar to the .44 Henty; probably ballistic twins. It decimated the Russian ranks as they advanced in close order to 100 yds where the Turks swapped their P-Ms for '66s. "Each Turk had 100 rds and had a box of 500 placed beside him.
A few expert riflemen were employed to pick off Officers  ..." The slaughter was horrendous.

Strikes me that a great persona would be that of a Turkish rifleman armed with a '66. Red fez, red sash, black boots, blue 'Zouave'- style jacket and pantaloons ..... quite a dashing image!
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
Re: Battle of Plevna - July 30, 1877
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 06:55:54 PM »
...The .44 Turkish RF was similar to the .44 Henty; probably ballistic twins...

They were the same. They used Win. ammo.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com