Author Topic: C.W. Officers' Sashes  (Read 9945 times)

Offline Guns Garrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
C.W. Officers' Sashes
« on: August 18, 2006, 10:59:14 AM »
Researching this has proved to be frustrating, at best.  Depending on the interpretation, the color of the sash worn by C.W. artillery officers has been variously described as "red", "scarlet" and "crimson".  Now maybe its just me, but "red" is pretty generic, with scarlet and crimson being different shades of red.  I'm assuming that "scarlet" is a lighter shade than crimson, like the background color on the artillery shoulder straps, the trouser welting, etc.  Crimson, on the other hand, is a deeper red, ("bloodred") but not as dark as "wine" or maroon.  I have seen descriptions of Ordnance Branch-of-Service color as being "crimson", but to me it looks more like maroon.  The wine-colored sash, I know, was worn by Union Staff officers, but I am still unclear as to the color for a field officer in the Light Artillery.  I have a silk sash purchased from Coon Creek that is "red", but I'm closer to saying it is scarlet, rather than crimson - I guess I'd call it "stop-sign" red, but lighter than "fire-engine" red.  With it being silk, it does have a sheen to it, so maybe I'm just thrown off by that.  Or am I just being anal-retentive?
Standing by to be straightened out,

Guns
(possible ancestor of Adrian Monk)
"Stand, gentlemen; he served on Samar"

GAF #301

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
Re: C.W. Officers' Sashes
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 12:43:16 PM »
Being worn by a Branch Officer - your sash should be Crimson - made of silk, worn by all Officers and tied behind the left hip, with the pendant portion measuring as long as 18".

Early Staff Officers' sashes had Bullion tassels - though that practice was ending by the Civil War - it remeined in Militia units.

General Officers wore sashes made of Buff-colored silk, with Bullion tassels.

Made of silk - there 'will' be a sheen to it.

While Officer's sashes varied in size and quality - Non-Commissioned Officers wore the issued wool item - measuring 70" X 5" - from 1851, until the Uniform Changes in 1872.

'Crimson' is best-described as 'blood-red'.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Frenchie

• "We have met the enemy, and he is us." - Pogo
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Photo by Julio Zangroniz @ "September Storm", 2007
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 12:44:13 PM »
Guns, the word "red" doesn't appear in the 1857 or 1861 uniform regulations. They say "scarlet" and "crimson", which are the correct names for what we call red and maroon. http://www.usregulars.com has the regs and there are lots of knowledgeable people there to ask about it.
Yours, &c.,

Guy 'Frenchie' LaFrance
Vous pouvez voir par mes vêtements que je ne suis pas un cowboy.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:55:20 AM »

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 09:08:14 PM »
For what it's worth, period British Dress Regulations specify "crimson" for officer's sashes ...

Definitions of "crimson":
- "a strong, bright deep red color combined with some blue, resulting in a degree of purple".
- "a deep to vivid purplish red to vivid red".
- "a deep red color tinged with blue".

Etymology:  "crimson", recorded in English since 1416, in its earlier forms cremesin, crymysyn, also cramoysin, cf. cramoisy (a red cloth), is adapted via Old Spanish cremesin "of or belonging to the kermes", from the Medieval Latin cremesinus for kermesinus or carmesinus, the dye produced from the shield-louse Kermes vermilio (Coccus ilicis)

If you search colors on the web, you'll often get "official formula" entries for the color - this is one particulalrly detailed page of that sort:
http://web.forret.com/tools/color.asp?RGB=DC143C&name=Crimson

(Edited to add:)

On the other hand, "scarlet" is a brighter red, tending a bit toward orange.   British Dress Regulations specified "scarlet" for the red coats of officers ...  Though it is, of course, difficult to reproduce colors precisely, what with the photographic process and computer monitor variances, perhaps this portrait of "yours truly" will illustrate the difference between "crimson" (sash) and "scarlet" (doublet), at least ...

Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2006, 09:20:02 PM »
St. George,

When did the Army adopt silk sashes?

The ones that I have seen are a "mesh" weave material, with some stretch to it.  I have one with the worked knot and fringe and one with just the fringe, which I have been told is an earlier variant.  Even new, neither of these were what I would call shiny.  Now they are 10 years old but still quite serviceable.  Missed out on buying one from Sentry Post which was the exact copy of one from the 1812 era.  Didn't have the $100 when they were briefly available 3 or 4 years ago. >:(  Thanks!
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2006, 09:51:04 PM »
Though evidently worn in the 1790's by Officers on duty and assigned to troops - the Regulations of 1821 called for Red net sashes to be tied 'with a knot in front of the right hip' - following the earlier practice.

By 1832, the use of sashes had expanded and the knots were to be places on the left hip - with the pendant portion to be 1 foot in length when tied.

Generals added a Buff silk sash with gold bullion trim, while Staff officers in dress uniforms in Infantry, Artillery and Ordnance all added a Red silk net sash with gold bullion tassels.

When the Army formed the Dragoons in 1833, those officers added a Deep Orange sash tied on the right hip and worn only with the dress uniform, or when directed by the Commanding Officer.

During the first half of the nineteeth century, various branch Officers wore sashes, while others did not - that list changing from time to time.

Substantial changes occurred in 1851.

The pendant portion could be as long as 18" and the sash was tied behind the left hip.

Generals continued wearing the above-mentioned Buff - while all branch Officers except those of the Medical Department wore Crimson silk, while Medical Department Officers wore Green sashes.

Senior NCOs wore Red wool, as issued, and these sashes were to be worn on all occasions except stable and fatigue duty.

For the first time - the Officer Of the Day was to wear his sash from the right shoulder to his left hip as a mark of that designation.

In 1872 - the Army directed that the use of sashes cease, with the exception of those worn by General Officers.

That custom would continue until 1917.

In 1877 - those above the rank of Brigadier General had the option of wearing their sash across the body - from the left shoulder to the right hip.

After 1902 - Brigadiers wore it around the waist, while those of higher rank wore it across the body as above.

By the Mexican Border Expedition and World War I - the sash - along with the dress uniforms - had disappeared.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

Offline Guns Garrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2006, 07:45:43 PM »
I have compared my sash with that depicted in the photo of the respendent Rattlesnake Jack, and have concluded that indeed, my sash would pass for "Crimson".  It was rather odd - I wrapped the sash around my waist twice, per regs, with the knot just behind the left hip (tried several types of knots, including square and cinch knot [single Winsor]), and the tassles both were below my knee.  Three wraps gave me about 8".  After some adjustments, I now have "pendants" that hang from 12" to 18" depending on the type of knot I tie.  Is there a specific type of knot? Or just whatever looks/works best?
"Stand, gentlemen; he served on Samar"

GAF #301

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2006, 11:58:52 PM »
Whatever knot looks best.

If the Regulations specified a type of knot - that paragraph's lost in the mist of Time.

Vaya.

Scouts Out!

Offline Gripmaker

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2006, 03:54:36 PM »
Guns,  If you had gone with the good guys your problem would have been easily remedied. All officers from Capt. down wore crimson sashes with field grade officers (major through Colonel wore appropriate branch color and all General officers wore buff sash and knots. While this was generally accepted regs for Confederate officers, some went beyond and wore non-reg. such as Col. Randall Mc Gavock of the 10th Tennessee Volounteer Infantry who wore a Kelly green or scarlet sash depending upon how the mood hit.  I match my uniform to that of a deceased family member who was an infantry General under Sterling Price and  *%#&+*%& Van Dorn. He chose to wear his sash made from the Little Clan tartan with appropriate buff tassles/knots. Sure looks purty on. Us Confederates got to wear just about anything we darn well pleased. 'Course we wasn't vain and wasteful like them Yankee officers ;>).

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2006, 10:49:11 PM »
Howdy Guns,

I will chime in here about wearing a sash.  I do living history of the War of 1812, the Mexican War and a Topog. Engineer in western exploration 1819 to 1855.  I do these impressions with a number of men who also do ACW.  I will attemtp to describe how we wear the sash.

I start by rolling the sash.  It helps to have an assistant, but I often use my tent pole when no one is handy.  Unroll the length of sash that you want for the pendant.  Place it at your waist where you want it to be.  Fold the sash so the pendant is on the outside and begin to wrap it around your body.  This is where the process needs the extra hand/tent pole  The sash should ride just above the waist buttons on the back of the coat.  Wrap around, keeping is tight and go around again.  When you get back to the pendant the second time, put the sash under the fold of the pendant and slip it up, under it all, and let the remaining part hand down.  If there is excess, lift the end to the level of the pendant and tuck the extra under the sash and let the extra become a small loop that hangs at the waist.  The sword belt is then secured over the sash.  I hope that this makes sense.  All of the Officers that I know use this method.  Feel free to ask for clarification.

Good luck.

Capt. R. H. Dorian
Brv't. LtC., Chief Topog. Engineer
Grand Army of the Frontier
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Speed Junky
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2007, 09:37:15 PM »
This is a bit off topic, but... would a Chief of Scouts have worn a sash, and if so, would it have been a field grade officer or a staff officer coloring?  I'm working on my impression of a Chief of Scouts during the Indian War era.
Griff
SASS/CMSA #93 Endowment
LSFSC Life
NRA Life

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2007, 11:38:12 PM »
As mentioned above - in 1872 - the Army directed that the use of sashes cease, with the exception of those worn by General Officers.

That custom would continue until 1917.

There was no military duty position as 'Chief of Scouts' - despite what the John Ford Reference Library would have one believe.

However - the 'title' was assumed by Al Sieber - who was a contract employee working for General Crook, as well as Buffalo Bill Cody, who was likewise a contract employee.

Lieutenant Charles Albert Varnum also claimed the title in his reminiscences - 'Custer's Chief of Scouts: The Reminiscences of Charles A. Varnum Including His Testimony at the Reno Court of Inquiry', as he'd assumed command of Custer's scouts, made up of civilians, army personnel, Crow, and Arikaree Indians, where his duty was to delegate scouting missions and coordinate the resulting reports.

It's been reprinted by University of Nebraska Press, September 1987. ISBN 0-8032-6328-7.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

Offline US Scout

• Bvt MajGen GAF (Retired)
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 15690
  • GAF #: 3
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2007, 06:24:50 AM »
Concur with St George's response.  I've found that several regiments, cavalry and infantry, detailed a junior but seasoned and experienced officer to be the "chief of scouts" though there was little consistency as to when and how this was done. 

These were typically lieutenants or captains with at least 10 years of service who had demonstrated an ability to work with both the Indians and white civilians hired to provide scouting, guiding and interpretation to the local army unit(s).

The table of organization for the time typically had the regimental commander (Col), a lieutenant colonel, 1-3 majors, and a captain, first and second lieutenant for each company.  However, most regiments only had a fraction of these officers present for duty at any given time.  Out of these available for duty, officers were detailed to be the adjutant, quartermaster, commissary, etc.  When the unit went into the field, an officer would be given responsibility for the scouts - thus "chief of scouts" though this position was not found on the table of organization.  He may or may not have contined to perform his company duties as well.

As St George points out, the "chief of scouts" was responsible for delegating scouting missions and coordinating their reports, which effectively made him what we now designate as the the unit intelligence officer, though of course he wasn't thought of as such back then.  He was not a "scout" himself, but someone who was responsible for the scouts and the collection of information.

Often times the title "chief of scouts" was assumed by one of the civilian scouts, though a more accurate designation would have been "chief scout" since they typically were subordinate to the officer designated as the "chief of scouts." 

The military officer wore the uniform and insignia for his corps (branch) - and would not have worn a sash after the 1872 regulations went into effect.  Civilians didn't wear uniforms so the question of a sash would not have come up. 

US Scout
Bvt Brig Gen, GAF

Offline Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Speed Junky
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2007, 01:18:49 PM »
Thanks St. George & US Scout, that info coincides with my reading and understandings.  I'm wanting to portray a contractor, not an actual officer.  Just wondering if you'd seen or read of any examples other'n Cody.
Griff
SASS/CMSA #93 Endowment
LSFSC Life
NRA Life

Offline US Scout

• Bvt MajGen GAF (Retired)
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 15690
  • GAF #: 3
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2007, 02:57:34 PM »
Griff,

I'm assuming that you're interested in civilian contract scouts. 

First off, I'd recommend two titles for you to get started with.  One is "The Scouts" in the Time-Life Old West series.  The second is US Army Frontier Scouts 1840–1921 by Ron Field and published by Osprey.  Both books provide a pretty comprehensive bibliography on books about frontier scouts and I recommend you refer to these to find additional references of interest.  The two books themselves are also not a bad place to start your research.

Besides Cody, there were a number of other prominent westerners who scouted for the army at one time or another, such as Bill Hickok, Charley Reynolds, Yellowstone Kelly, Bill Comstock, Billy Dixon, Al Sieber, Tom Horn, and quite a few others.  Some of them (or a ghost writer) published books and stories about their experiences, but these must be used cautiously as they frequently embellished their actions and deeds to make for a better selling book. 

US Scout
Bvt Brig Gen, GAF

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 470
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2007, 05:59:19 PM »

Griff,
for what it's worth, as mentioned there are instances of legitimate Scouts who embellished their outfits for theatrical purposes or to pose a more dashing figure, - this image is of Wild Bill, Texas Jack and others during their time touring with the theatre production in the 1870's.
One of the great things about the clothing guidelines in GAF is they embrace both fact and the fantasy. If you like the idea of a sash then go for it. 19th century vanity certainly supports it.  ;)
RCJ

"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com