Author Topic: Spencer Rifle Bayonets - Any interest?  (Read 21078 times)

Offline nactorman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Spencer Rifle Bayonets - Any interest?
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2012, 09:55:42 PM »
I guess the photos did not attach to my previous message, so I will try once more.

Nactorman

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2012, 09:55:53 PM »
It is definitely "Option B" that I'd be interested in!   ;D

Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2012, 04:46:42 AM »
Nactorman,

I re-posted your photos and hope I put them in the correct order that you wanted.  Also, I enlarged both photos to show the socket sections of the bayonets and the Spencer front sight.

Since I recently acquired an original Spencer Rifle, and have been searching for an original Spencer Rifle sling  ::) ::) and original Spencer socket bayonet  ::) ::) (one can dream, can't one ::)) I was hoping for a reproduction Spencer bayonet that would fit my original Spencer rifle correctly . . . is this option C :o :o

Also, I thought I’d add the post of several years ago appearing below from John Holland, N-SSA Small Arms Committee Chairperson, and his comment regarding the front sight of the Armi Sport Spencer Rifle and how it might apply to this thread ???  That comment is in italics and bold.  

______________________________________________________________________________________________
April 18, 2009, 06:18:28 pm

My most sincere thanks to Two Flints for posting my question to him in regards to the barrel band placement on an original M-1865 Spencer Rifle v.s. the new/current reproduction M-1865 Spencer Rifle by ArmiSport.

I also thank all of you who took the time to measure the original arms in your personal collections. The dimensions provided have confirmed my original thoughts that the barrel band placement on both the M-1860 and M-1865 Spencer Rifles are, in fact, the same.

The N-SSA isn't "sweating" anything! The lower and middle barrel bands on the current ArmiSport M-1865 Rifle are one full inch too far forward. The front sight is also a full one-half inch too far forward.  For the requirements of the N-SSA, even with our +/- tolerance of 3/8" for the barrel band placement, and 1/4" for the front sight placement, the ArmiSport is still too far out of our allowable tolerance to be accepted. I believe you will have to admit the N-SSA's +/- tolerances are fairly liberal. Arizona Trooper, who is also a past member of the N-SSA's Small Arms Committee, is correct in his statement that a large part the authenticity of the reproduction arms market today is a result of the early efforts of the N-SSA to maintain a higher standard of cosmetic authenticity in reproduction arms.

Again, I thank Two Flints and all others who assisted in this research project.

Sincerely,

Jobe
N-SSA Small Arms Committee
Early Cowboy Action Shooter
Rendezvouser, etc.
______________________________________________________________________________________________

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 05:32:11 AM »

Offline PvtGreg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2012, 08:59:48 AM »
Interesting about the email from the N-SSA guy.  I just looked at their approved repeaters and note that the AS Spencer is listed.

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2012, 09:39:09 PM »
PvtGreg:

Only the ArmiSport Model 1865 Carbine is listed .... not the Rifle being discussed here.    :'(
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline jim

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2012, 07:24:28 PM »
If your going through with this I would prefer the original style for my original rifle

Offline Jake Jones

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2012, 11:35:33 AM »
I would be interested in 1 also
Jake Jones

Offline Two Flints

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2012, 08:28:01 AM »
Nactorman,

Any updates, new information, on the Spencer bayonets?

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Traditional Archery

Offline nactorman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2012, 11:26:00 PM »
I'm still working on this project, but things are progressing a little slower than I had hoped because we were not able to use the original bayonet as a pattern for the reproductions. Basically, I'm working on fabricating a bayonet that looks as similar as possible to the original, but that will fit the repro rifle's different sight location and barrel diameter. I still have the original bayonet and may repop a few of those too, for those who were interested in that version. I'll post some photos soon.
  Charles
  "Nactorman"

Offline Mannheim Bob

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2012, 12:59:14 PM »
Hi All,
  I was just wondering if any SSS folks might be interested in owning a reproduction bayonet for their Spencer rifle? I'm considering having some manufactured and just wondered if there was enough interest out there to justify the time/cost. They would be reproduced from an original piece and come with an appropriate scabbard. Anticipated cost for bayonet + scabbard would be about $55-$65 ea. Any thoughts?
  Charles Misulia
  "nactorman"

Yes, I would be interested in such a bayonet.  I have an original 3-band 1860 rifle, and a bayonet to match would be aa nice accessory for my collection.  Thanks!

Offline Two Flints

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2013, 12:37:31 PM »
How is the bayonet project going?  Had to ask ;D

Una mano lava l'altra
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Traditional Archery

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2019, 08:20:01 PM »
Just wondering if this project got "shelved" and, if so, what might be the chances of reviving it?

;D

Offline Walksfire

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2019, 09:24:11 AM »
As an owner of an original Spencer Carbine 1860 model, I am also interested if this saber idea got off the ground. Were Sabers only for rifles for the Navy? Or did they also get used on Calvary Carbines?

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2019, 02:11:00 PM »
Walksfire,

The sword/saber bayonet was intended or use on the Navy Rifles "only", as requested within the Navy contract. (Except for 2 hundred Rifles ordered in Oct. 1863 "without" bayonets. These Rifles were standard Army/Infantry Rifles which were made for use with socket bayonets.)
I know of NO bayonets that were used on the Carbines.
I hope this helps?
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2019, 11:12:09 PM »
I don't believe there was any proposal to reproduce a sword/sabre bayonet ... it was going to be the socket bayonet ...

Mind you, we are not hearing from the OP, so I suspect the project didn't proceed.  Is "Nactorman" still active here?

Perhaps I should mention that a couple of years ago I was able to adapt a reproduction British pattern 1853 socket bayonet to fit on my repro Spencer rifle. 

Although the socket area differs, with the channel and locking ring not being far enough forward to permit the front of the socket to be flush with the muzzle when fitted (as evident above) I was able to make other needed modifications so that it in fact fits and and locks in place quite securely.  (I believe this was also going to be a problem with the proposed reproduction Spencer bayonets if they were made to original specifications, because of the slight difference in front sight location on the reproduction rifles.)

The front sight and sight base are higher on the reproduction Spencer than on a P'1853 Enfield rifle (and,,of course the later Snider breechloading conversions of such rifles) but I was able to file out the relief slot in the bridge and locking ring so they would pass over the sight:

Also, the Enfield/Snider-Enfield rifles were .577 caliber, so the inner diameter of the socket is a bit too generous (not as much as you might expect, however) and I was able to overcome any sloppiness of fit by puddling a bit of soft solder inside the socket, and then judiciously filing the solidified puddle lower (using a curved-profile rasp) until the socket slides snugly onto the barrel just enough to permit the locking ring to rotate firmly into engagement.

Not absolutely correct in appearance (although neither is the reproduction rifle, really, with its slight differences in front sight, nosecap and barrel band locations) but certainly adequate enough to look the part and give me a useable bayonet should I ever get around to competing in a GAF match with the rifle ...

I wouldn't be surprised if a similar adaptation might be possible using a reproduction bayonet for the .58 Springfield rifle ...

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2019, 11:13:12 AM »
RattlesnakeJack,

You are correct about the sword/saber bayonet not being considered for the repro Spencer "Army/Infantry" Rifles.
ArmiSport could correct the front sight and the band placement on the fore stock so easily at the factory.  They could and would sell many more of them if the N-SSA accepted these corrected changes. So far AS has shown no interest in doing these changes. My only opinion on this matter is that they are not interested in making more Rifles.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Snakeeater

• Top Active Citizen
  • B-3-11 SFG (ABN)
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2019, 08:55:46 PM »
I would be interested in two of Option A (for original rifles) if and when available
First Cousin (Six times removed) to BGen Isaac (Stand Firm) Uwatie,  Principal Chief of the Cherokee Nation, 1862-1866

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com