Author Topic: Uberti Adds Retractable FP  (Read 10954 times)

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
Uberti Adds Retractable FP
« on: January 27, 2016, 05:16:18 PM »
http://www.ammoland.com/2016/01/uberti-adds-retractable-firing-pin-to-1873-cattleman-revolvers/#axzz3yNMC8ROG

I assume not on every model!!  :o

Calling Abilene to set the record straight!!!!

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
Re: Uberti Adds Retractable FP
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 06:06:54 PM »
A hammer was given to us at Shot Show, and we put it into a Model P.  I was told it was a secret, but apparently it is not based on that link!  Interesting design.  Makes the trigger feel kind of different, at least on the that one gun.  I would hope that it is not going to be on every gun, but what do I know.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 02:57:23 PM »
I cannot think of a worthwhile reason to do that.  I admit to being a little opinionated, somewhat stubborn and adding stupid fixes to
problem that don't exist.  A retractable firing pin in a Single Action Colt type revolver is ........ Just ....... Plain ......... STUPID!!

Coffinmaker

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:40:47 AM »

45 Dragoon

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 10:03:32 PM »
Hmmmmm wonder how that works .  .  .  .    can ya fan it?

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2016, 10:08:23 AM »
Two words. "Government Lawyers". 'Nuff said. :(

45 Dragoon

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 12:45:57 PM »
Pathfinder,
 You may be right but if they came up with a new (to them) safety for their S.A., its OK with me. I carry a worked over El Patron and I like the solid block system it has for the safty. I've carried 5 in and empty under but 6 is better. I just wonder if it's a mechanical link or a "rebound" deal. Till I'm comfortable with something new, the block works for me.
  I know most cowboy shooters don't like anything but a fixed pin in tha hammer and I'm good with that too but, I carry a S.A. and would rather have 6 available if I can. Just curious about a "funky" pin though.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

Offline Black River Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 06:08:05 PM »
FCK,

As I was once told when I complained about a Uberti change.

''At this point in time, all the manufacturers of reproduction Single Actions are building their guns to a price point.  Desperately trying to maintain their market share.  And, the market is shrinking, not expanding.  In fact it has ben shrinking for several years.  Any time
the manufacturers can find a way to get the desired result faster and cheaper, there going to do it. ... There is a certain misunderstanding of industry.  Uberti is ultimately NOT in the gun business.  They are in business to MAKE MONEY.  It just happens their vehicle is making guns.  Were Uberti able to switch products and have a more beneficial profit margin, Guns would disappear overnight.  Uberti has already started to branch out their product line to other types of guns, scaling back their production of "cowboy" guns.  Pietta has done the same thing.  As we go forward, we are going to have to be happy for what we are able to get.''

So, Uberti must have figured they are able to switch products and have a more beneficial profit margin.  Therefore, we as US paying consumers, it appears that we should just accept whatever comes along and just like it.

Now, I am glad I have what I have because I would never buy a transfer bar colt replica if that was all we were offered.

Black River Smith

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2016, 07:51:26 PM »
...And, the market is shrinking, not expanding.  In fact it has ben shrinking for several years... 

That is a fact. Nothing really novel has been introd since the Burgess and it flopped I believe. I highly doubt we will see anything radical in the future. And all I wanted was an Uberti S&W American in .44 Russian.  :'(

Offline Black River Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2016, 09:37:14 PM »
There were several of us NCOWS members that would like to have seen that long barrelled First Model 3 in that cartridge.

To me when a company makes a product, you make that same product or improve it or improve production procedures, not make it into something people do not like or cut corners.  I have watched prices from 1978 to now raise from $175 to over $500 for mainly std model Uberti's.  In my opinion that should be enough to compensate profits so that cheaper corner cutting should not have to used.
Black River Smith

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2016, 07:37:01 AM »
45 Dragoon, not a problem at all. I also depend on the old Colt when I have to carry, just been doing it with five beans in the wheel for so long that I'm not comfortable any other way. If I feel I'll need more than five I carry seven and a couple of spare mags for the 1911 (never an A1, brrrrr). If you carry, you have to trust the weapon you have to work, first time, every time. So long as you do and you're comfortable with that particular weapon, then that's all that counts. Personal preferences are what counts. Heck, the wife still likes her old Colt 1903 hammerless in .32, wouldn't even switch when I got a 1908 in .380.

Fox, I'll third the suggestion on the first model Russian,  ;D, heck, Forty Rod and I've probably been sending messages and the like to the powers in charge since the rumors of the first Schofields came out. You can see what kind of influence I have.  ;D

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2016, 09:30:47 PM »
FCK,

As I was once told when I complained about a Uberti change.

''At this point in time, all the manufacturers of reproduction Single Actions are building their guns to a price point.  Desperately trying to maintain their market share.  And, the market is shrinking, not expanding.  In fact it has ben shrinking for several years.  Any time
the manufacturers can find a way to get the desired result faster and cheaper, there going to do it. ... There is a certain misunderstanding of industry.  Uberti is ultimately NOT in the gun business.  They are in business to MAKE MONEY.  It just happens their vehicle is making guns.  Were Uberti able to switch products and have a more beneficial profit margin, Guns would disappear overnight.  Uberti has already started to branch out their product line to other types of guns, scaling back their production of "cowboy" guns.  Pietta has done the same thing.  As we go forward, we are going to have to be happy for what we are able to get.''

Well, I would somewhat disagree with that.  CAS has slowed down, but people are often mistaken in thinking that CAS is the largest market for old west guns.  Sure, most of the 18" .357 1873's that are made and a few other models are bought mostly by cowboy shooters, but CAS has never been the majority of sales of the Italian reproductions.  Uberti is still pumping out a huge number of guns as they have been doing all along, although the mix of what is most popular varies over time. If anything has hurt Uberti, it has been Pietta.  Can't say about their BP guns, but their single action sales have simply exploded over the past few years.  Pietta has been very open to making new products for Cimarron (I have to keep quiet about some things), but their factory capacity is the limiting factor.  In other words, they are as busy as they can possibly be.

Regarding this new Uberti safety hammer, there is a rod inside the hammer that somehow interacts with the trigger, although in a different method than the unsightly (IMO) "safety block" hammer which also has a rod inside the hammer going down to the safety notch.  Having a hammer and firing pin that looks authentic, yet allows safely carrying six, certainly should have some appeal.  There are some other reasons that I am not yet gung-ho for it.

As for that Smith and Wesson American, well I expect that is coming.  See about the 7:48 point of this video:

45 Dragoon

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2016, 11:59:12 PM »
OK, that's what I was thinking since they like the "rods in the hammer" stuff (a LA Ruger!)! That's why the trigger felt "different". That's also why I jokingly (sorta !) ask about fanning it .  .  . is it tough enough and fast acting enough to play those kind of games?
  A drawing diagram or a pic of one would be nice.

Thanks Abilene!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2016, 07:23:37 AM »
Ok, rewatched that video Abilene pointed us to. I'll be patient, just hope it comes to pass before I have to retire. Fingers crossed.

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2016, 01:56:26 PM »
...As for that Smith and Wesson American, well I expect that is coming.  See about the 7:48 point of this video:

Yes, but with all due respect he's been saying that for at least ten yrs. I have lost all hope for that one.  :'(

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2016, 02:23:58 PM »
FCK, I agree, I remember talking to Val Forgett about an American back in the day. He was very interested and supportive, we still got a Schofield tho. Must of figured that's where the early money was, can't blame them for that.

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 634
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2016, 06:43:17 PM »
Well, ONE good thing has come out of this.  The other day I told my lovely wife about the new safety feature and worried aloud that, 1) all Uberti revolvers would start having them and, 2) fixed firing pin guns would go up in price.  She asked if there were any more guns that I had been eyeing and I said I had been thinking that a 7 1/2" .45 would look nice in with my 4 3/4" guns.  She said that we had some money in the budget and I should just buy one now.  I got up off the floor and started checking prices online.  I found a gun shop about an hour's drive away with a Cimarron Cavalry model in stock and she suggested that we go buy it.  She had to help me off the floor that time.  We drove up on Sunday and the gun looks very nice.  SHE paid for it and we started the paperwork for the transfer.  The shop called this afternoon to say that the background check came back early and I should be picking it up in about an hour.  She's my kind of woman, folks.

On the other hand, you may recall that Uberti has faced lawsuits in the past.  (Here's info about one: http://www.leagle.com/decision/1995746181Ariz565_1636/A.%20UBERTI%20&%20C.%20v.%20LEONARDO%20IN%20&%20FOR%20PIMA)  I believe that it was argued that technology has improved since the 1870's, but that Uberti was ignoring the advances in safety.  They specifically mentioned Ruger as making a much safer gun and argued that Uberti was negligent in not adopting "modern" safety features.  It doesn't take too many suits of that nature to make a company strongly consider changing the design.  WE know that the end user is ultimately responsible for safety when it comes to firearms, but the courts don't always see it that way.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2016, 11:53:17 PM »
In the old days they would have labeled the father as an idiot for leaving a loaded gun around a small inquisitive child. We can't do that today however as it offends the Liberals.  ::)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com