Author Topic: New Project 03 Springfield MK 1  (Read 12940 times)

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Re: New Project 03 Springfield MK 1
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2013, 05:49:05 PM »
SHB I may have gone the 03 A3 route myself were it not for the Winter Range Bucky O'Neal match the allows 03s but not 03 A3s.  Having decided to go the 03 route, was driven into the finger groove stock as well.  Shades of Alvin York, and yes I know he used an Enfield in the battle and not the Springfield as in the movie, not to mention the 1911 vs the Luger.
It seems to me I've read somewhere fairly recently that he actually DID use an '03 because he didn't like the sights on the 1917.  With his shooting ability, I would guess his Platoon Commander, if he had any sense at all, was more than okay with the good Sergeant using whatever he wanted to use.  I'll see if I can come up with that reference.
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2013, 07:11:12 PM »
I have read that as well, I think it was in an American Rifleman write up on him. He didn't like the peep sight, because it was harder to lead a moving target.

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2013, 09:31:21 PM »
Pony, I think you're right about where I saw that.  Thanks!
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 04:40:34 AM »

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2013, 09:39:10 PM »
 Fedex, UPS or whoever came thru.  Have the chestnut ridge stain, light and Dark Milk Paint Co 100% Tru Oil and Citrus Spirits.
Cut the Chestnut ridge stain to 50% with 70% alcohol and applied liberally several coats to the stock and hand guard, between being alcohol based and being a 50 50 mix, the stock drank the stuff and dried darn near as fast as I could get it applied.  108 degree AZ weather and 10% humidity could have helped.  Rubbed down with clean rag hit lightly with 320 grit.

This stuff is pretty red.  Took some of the Dark Tung oil cut it to a 50 50 mix with the citrus spirits to aid penetration, again applied very liberally and rubbed in.  Not having gallons and a tray to do the old dip method just kept slathering it on and rubbing.  Decided I had enough on so I just rubbed and rubbed.  Used 45 cal GI Patches to apply and rub.  Letting hand guard and stock dry for either 24 or 48 hours.  Actually I have rubbed and removed any visible excess enough that the stock seems pretty dry now.  But will cure.  May put out in the sunlight when I get home tomorrow.  Cannot leave outside for several reasons.  Idiot dogs could eat the stock, this time of year in AZ could have 60 MPH winds and dust storms to rival anything in the middle east, would hate to have a 60 grit finish on the stock.

The dark tung oil is taking a lot of the bright red look out of the stock.  I am liking the looks already and wonder of wonders the upper handguard and stock look real close to the same color.  Next coat of tung oil will probably still be the 50 50 mix to aid penetration. 

Not sure if I will use the wet sanding application of subsequent coats to help seal the pores or just trust several very thin hard rubbed coats of the tung oil to fill the pores on its own.

I am not seeking a shiny glassy stock trophy rifle look.  After a few coats hit with 400 grit will probably switch over to scotch bright pads between coats
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2013, 08:53:58 PM »
Hit the stock lightly with 400 grit, wiped twice with rags to remove all dust.  Applied another liberal but single application of the 50 50 mix of dark tung oil.  The wood is really sucking the stuff in.  I am off in the AM tomorrow so will probably stand the stock in the good old arizona sun or maybe keep in the shade but let the stock experience the joys of 105 degree weather.  This will give an idea of the color, took bottom picture friday AM in sunlight (clouds got in way)
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2013, 05:40:37 PM »
Looks great, Cap'n!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2013, 04:32:55 PM »
The stock is getting close, probably 4 or 5 coats of 50/50 Dark Tung oil and Citrus spirits, followed by a like number of non cut tung oil.  Some light sanding between some coats and scotch bright pads after some.  Night before last noticed what must have been wiskering near wrist of stock.  Hit with 400 grit lightly till smooth.  Rubbed extensively with cloths to remove all dust etc.  Followed up with 600 grit wet sanding application of another coat.

Pretty sure the stock will stay smooth from here on out.  Do not want build up of a glossy type finish.  Did have a minor major misshap along the way.  Managed to let the stock fall over putting a few dings in it.  Mostly sanded out the roughness but took some stain off making a light patch.  Did not want to strip and restain, so will not have a weatherby looking stock.  What the heck, I am building a 110 yo battle rifle right??
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com