Author Topic: Ruger Old Army Adjustable Sights to Fixed Sites  (Read 11308 times)

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Ruger Old Army Adjustable Sights to Fixed Sites
« on: September 05, 2009, 12:13:06 AM »
What kind of work is it to change a Ruger Old Army with Adjustable Sights over to a Fixed Sight so that it could be used to compete in the Frontiersman Class.

I have set my desire on one or a pair of KBP-5FI Models (.45 C&B, 5.5" Barrel, Stainless Steel, Fixed Sights)

If I could find all that except with adjustable sights, is it a simple (read cheap) gunsmithing job to change the sights to a fixed model, or would I be incuring the cost of the gun once more in gunsmithing fees?
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Angel_Eyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Ruger Old Army Adjustable Sights to Fixed Sites
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 06:00:04 AM »
I believe that the adjustable sights only come on the 7.5 barreled models,(Redhawk frame??) whereas I have seen fixed sights on both barrel lengths on the newer, Colt style 'Old Army' .
I converted mine by removing the foresight ramp and replacing it with a half-round blade and removed the rear sight and replaced that with a simple notched block.
All carried out in my garage with simple hand tools,,,easy!!

Good luck,,,AE.
Trouble is...when I'm paid to do a job, I always carry it through. (Angel Eyes, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly)
BWSS # 54, RATS# 445, SCORRS,
Cowboy from Robin Hood's back yard!!

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 01:48:31 PM »
Depends on what you are trying to accomplish.  If you intend to use them in the SASS Frontiersman class you have to weld and remachine the top strap.  A block like that described by Angel Eyes is not SASS legal.  The cost is far more than trying to find a fixed sight model in the first place.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:54:21 AM »

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 03:06:29 PM »
Pettifogger

This is what I was afraid of ... that I would buy a model with adjustable sights and pay the cost of the gun again to get it to become a fixed sight model ... Thanks!
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403

Offline Angel_Eyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 01:49:13 PM »
Pettifogger, are you saying that the recess left by the removal of the rear sight has to be permanently filled up and a sight groove cut into the topstrap?

AE
Trouble is...when I'm paid to do a job, I always carry it through. (Angel Eyes, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly)
BWSS # 54, RATS# 445, SCORRS,
Cowboy from Robin Hood's back yard!!

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 07:26:19 PM »
Pettifogger, are you saying that the recess left by the removal of the rear sight has to be permanently filled up and a sight groove cut into the topstrap?

AE

Yep.  The rule reads, " Ruger Blackhawk and Ruger Old Army adjustable sight frames may be modified by
removing the rear sight assembly, welding up the sight cutout, recontouring the frame top
strap, and cutting a new sight notch to replicate Colt SAA or Vaquero frames."

Several people have milled very nice sight blocks to fill the original space, but these are not legal.  I don't like the rule, but it is what it is.

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 07:59:07 PM »
Pettifogger...

Thanks for the heads up!

So unless someone is willing to reduce their price by the cost of the gunsmith job (and has a bridge in Brooklyn to sell *L*), I can probably cross any adjustable sight model off my list ....

NCOWS #3403

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 12:03:40 AM »
I just got an offer I can't refuse on exactly what I wanted ... two Stainless/5.5" barrel/fixed site models!

So I don't have to do any modifications except the grips ....

NCOWS #3403

Offline Monco

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2014, 09:39:23 AM »
Depends on what you are trying to accomplish.  If you intend to use them in the SASS Frontiersman class you have to weld and remachine the top strap.  A block like that described by Angel Eyes is not SASS legal.  The cost is far more than trying to find a fixed sight model in the first place.

Howdy Pettifogger!
Do you still think the cost of conversion is more expensive than finding a fixed sight versions assuming that a person already has an adjustable sight model?  The selling price for fixed sight Old Amry's has skyrocketed in the last couple of years.

I have a pair of unfired stainless Old Armies that I picked up for $300 each a couple of years ago......Based on current selling prices, it seems that a pair of used fixed sight models are selling for approximately $1500-2000......that would mean that the work would have to be more than $900-1400 for a pair to break even.

Do you know of someone that performs this type of 'frontiersman ready" conversion?

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2014, 10:31:56 AM »
The price has really gone up since the original posts in 2009.  In addition to welding up the frame and cutting new sights, you also have to remove the front ramp and replace it with a blade.  I don't know anyone that does the work although any good welder/machinist should be able to do it.  I have heard a couple of rumors and talked to one guy that is working on a mod.  The big rumor (and the Ruger rep mentioned it at Winter Range) is that Ruger might make a new run of fixed sight ROAs.  AND, it would come with a lowered hammer.  The guy I talked to is going to mill a precision rear sight insert and submit it to the SASS rules committee to see if it will pass as an allowed "external mod" given the scarcity of original fixed sight ROAs.

Offline Monco

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2014, 01:56:03 PM »
This is something I was considering since the adjustable sight versions are not really desirable by most that would actually use them on a regular basis.  Granted I could shoot them in any age based category but if I have the resources available, it might be more cost effective nowadays to do the modifications.....until the day that Ruger does decide to reproduce them again.  If so it will be interesting to see how that plays out relative to price and availability.

I'm sure I'll hear be hearing about the insert should it become available and legal.

Thx for the response.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com