Author Topic: I need partners...  (Read 11871 times)

Offline Guns Garrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: I need partners...
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2019, 10:18:38 AM »
Either carriage should be adequate for the Martini or the Snyder...
"Stand, gentlemen; he served on Samar"

GAF #301

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2019, 02:28:59 PM »
Rattlesnakejack
Just wondering if the "EMPIRE" would have bought U.S.  Parrot rifles for their artillery back in the day?
The Brits had plenty of their own design.

No ... as you say, Britain had plenty of their own patterns (many of which were imported by the USA and CSA during the "Unpleasantness").  Canadian field artillery of the era my group portray (1885) mostly used the British 9 Pounder RML (Rifled Muzzle-Loading) gun and, to a lesser extent, 7 Pounder RML.  We got a 3/4 scale reproduction Parrott Rifle barrel for our full-size carriage because it was the closest facsimile we could get to the appearance of a 9pdr barrel - it is shorter than a 9pdr barrel, whereas a full-scale one would have been longer.  The weight differential was the deciding factor for us, rather than price - in fact, we had already ordered a full-scale barrel but then we had second thoughts about ease of loading, unloading and field movement of the gun, and changed our order.  (Our barrel came from Hern Iron Works in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho.)

Here is a Canadian 9pdr RML gun detachment on service in during the 1885 North-West Rebellion -

And we have access to the "right up to date" Canadian Field Artillery manual -

Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2019, 03:08:16 PM »
Mine the first model prairie carriage

You'll need a limber and team of horses then, General!

;D

We have actually demonstrated a few times with horses ... although not too much, since hauling them, and hooking up and all that is  not practical at most venues ... and too much of a hassle, really ...  IIRC we have only done it with our "small" gun (a half-scale representation of a 9pdr) but not since we completed the large gun, so I don't have any photos of the full-size gun hooked up with the limber and horses. 

This was at Fort Walsh National Historic Site -

And these were tkenat the Calgary Stampede a few years ago -

Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Advertising

« Reply #43 on: Today at 06:19:56 PM »

Offline Guns Garrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2019, 07:11:30 AM »
Anybody need scale drawings for a 12pdr. Whitworth?

GAF #301

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2019, 04:48:40 PM »
Remind me to throw it in the car and I will bring a lb. of black to donate.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2019, 06:05:48 PM »
Remind me to throw it in the car and I will bring a lb. of black to donate.

Throw what in, John?

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2019, 09:37:13 PM »
I sorry, me English no good.

Reminder to bring a pound of black powder before I leave for The Muster as a donation to Jerry's howitzer project.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2019, 07:00:08 PM »
You know anyone with a LARGE Lathe that can bore that out to the proper size for a 12 pounder?
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2019, 11:48:35 PM »
That would destroy it,  those tubes are ornamental sand casted iron with 2.5 " about 3/8 wall steel liner & welded breach.
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Guns Garrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2019, 07:17:27 AM »
You know anyone with a LARGE Lathe that can bore that out to the proper size for a 12 pounder?

A regular 12pounder field gun (1841 howitzer) had a cylindrical bore of 4 5/8". 

A 12-pdr Whitworth only had a bore of 2.75", but the bolt was 9.75" in length.  The trick is getting the bore hexagonal in shape, not cylindrical.

GAF #301

Offline Guns Garrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2019, 07:37:22 AM »
I participated in a CW reenactment years ago at Ft Steilacoom, WA (near Seattle) where a member had made a 3/4-scale Whitworth, using 1 1/2" high-pressure gas pipe.  Its O.D. was 6" with 2 1/4" thick walls.  He also had heat-shrunk a reinforcing ring around the breech area, that also had the breechblock hinge forged into it.  (The owner/builder was also the owner of a small metal-fabricating shop, which included a small casting facility, and machine shop)  The barrel was about 6 ft long, and tapered to about 4" at the muzzle.  The hardest part was making the breach, having a triple-leade threaded breech cap that sealed the breach in one rotation.  The owner would ONLY shoot blanks, no projectiles at all, not even golf balls.  The cartridge looked like a salami wrapped in foil.  (with corresponding humor, the Gun Captain would occasionally substitute the command "Load Cartridge" with "Slip me your salami...")

I big regret is never taking any pictures of it...

GAF #301

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com