Author Topic: New Member  (Read 1729 times)

Offline Chacón

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« on: May 09, 2020, 01:50:20 PM »
Hello all. I'm new around here and plan on getting involved in the sport when the quarantine ends.  I've been shooting other types of shooting sports for about 15 years and I'm looking forward to trying something new.

I've read all I could and I'll be searching the forum and reading more to try to get some of my equipment together before my first match.  I contacted the guy who runs them and he told me to show up they'll get me started.  I would like to at least have my revolvers and rig before then but if not I'm going to take him up on the offer.

I'm going to try to develop a Mexican character/costume thus the alias "Chacón" which I liked the sound of as a common surname.  A sombrero or similar type round hat is definitely going to be part of my costume but if anyone has any tips as to style of holsters and belt for Chacón, I am all ears.  Something New Mexico/El Paso themed most likely since I live 40 miles from El Paso.

Thanks all.

Offline Chacón

• Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: New Member
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2020, 01:55:07 PM »
For my guns I'm planning on running basic fixed sight SAA clones that I can get from the store with 4.75" barrels.

For my rifle, I am probably going to do a Rossi R92.  I was actually planning on buying one anyway which is what got me to thinking I should just get into cowboy to have an excuse to shoot it.  I was going to buy a 16" but I think a 20" would be a better choice for this game so I'm going to go 20".

For my shotgun, I wouldn't mind finding an authentic 97 but I think some kind of sxs with one trigger is a better fit for me at this time (technique wise).

I am set up to load .38./.357/.45 Colt or whatever I need on a Dillon and I cast my own bullets so ammo isn't an issue, but I'd appreciate help with my costume (longer term) and guns (shorter term).

Offline Marshal Halloway

• Editor & Webmaster of Cas City.
  • City Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Don't squat with your spurs on. Have fun shootin'.
    • Cas City
  • SASS #: R3411
  • NCOWS #: HL-179
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 68
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2020, 02:07:25 PM »

Welcome to the forum and to the sport.
Editor & Webmaster of CAScity.com
Director - Digital Video Division - Outdoor Sportsman Group (OSG).
Digital Video Production & Post Production OSG
Owner of Down Range Media GP

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:12:42 AM »

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 908
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2020, 02:44:18 PM »
Check out this site for your Sombrero:

https://www.sunbody.com/index.cfm/product/85_3/guatemalan-charro-hat.cfm

And given your location, take a look at El Paso Saddlery for  gun leather.

Welcome here and to interest in the Old West.

Dave 

Offline hp246

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2020, 09:22:36 PM »
Welcome to a great sport Chacon.  Before you spend a dime on equipment, take your contact up on his offer. All of the guns you mentioned are fine and will get you through a match, but you might find some others suit you or your character better.  Some can grow with you better than others as you progress.  It can become expensive, especially if you decide you want to try different aspects of the sport. 

Offline Chacón

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2020, 10:58:07 AM »
Check out this site for your Sombrero:

https://www.sunbody.com/index.cfm/product/85_3/guatemalan-charro-hat.cfm

And given your location, take a look at El Paso Saddlery for  gun leather.

Thanks so much for the tip on the hat!  I think finding the right hat for my costume will prove to be really fun.  I haven't really figured out my clothing yet.  I hate black leather so I know I want some kind of tan or brown.  Other than that my little vaquero can be whatever he wants to be.

As far as EP Saddlery, I'm familiar with their products, but I'm also hoping to shoot sometime before 24 weeks from now, so unless they can get their lead times down, I'm going to be shopping elsewhere!

I don't know too much about period-correct leather tooling and such and I'd like to find something in the El Paso style for my rig.  Given our connection to Mexico and the fact that cowboy boots are still made here and in Juarez, finding something styled like it was from West Texas vs. Arizona or further north may help my character become more authentic.

As much as it may be ill advised, I really would like to buy my guns, especially the rifle and revolvers, because I'm sure people I haven't met will be nervous about me shooting my handloads in their guns and I'd rather avoid that situation if possible.

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2020, 03:38:53 PM »
For my shotgun, I wouldn't mind finding an authentic 97 but I think some kind of sxs with one trigger is a better fit for me at this time (technique wise).
I have 2 SXS shotguns with single triggers that want to double (fire both barrels at once) on me. It doesn't take long to get used to 2 triggers.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1204
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2020, 04:29:06 PM »
My SxS's have always had two triggers.  I would be a little afraid of getting a single trigger one for fear it would mess me up when I go back to the hammer gun  :)

As for leather, there are LOTS of leather makers out there.  But if you do have a hankering for El Paso Saddlery, check out Texas Jack's : https://www.texasjacks.com/products/gun-leather/holsters.html  All of their leather is stamped Texas Jacks but it is all made by EPS, and they always have a lot of it in stock.  Of course, whether they carry the style you want would remain to be seen.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2020, 10:56:03 AM »

:)  Recommendations Only   ;)

It's real easy to fall into the "wrong guns" trap.  Best you spend a little time when the world starts back up, attend a couple of matches and look around.  Maybe even try someone's guns.  Most will let you fire a couple of their rounds.

Shotgun:  Unless you plan to spend large, skip Single Trigger shotguns.  After some care and attention most single trigger are fine except the cheap seats guns.  I would firmly recommend TWO triggers.  essentially what you will have is two shotguns soldered together.  Exposed hammers even better.  Nice shotguns WILL NOT be cheap.  Cheap shotguns will not be nice.  EMF, Cimarron and Tayors all offer really nice Hammer doubles.  Prepare to spend.

Handguns:  Best value for dollar in the market today are the Pietta Great Western II guns from EMF.  I can no longer even think of recommending Uberti.

Rifle:  Your choice of a '92 as quite ok.  The '92 is not the fastest of rifles but they are Hell for Stout.  With a little work, the '92 can run faster than you can.  If you want to try and go fast right at the start (not recommended) start with Reproduction 1873 or 1866.  Uberti Rifles have a plethora of speed parts available.  Miroku Reproductions do not.  Prepare to Spend.

Funnest game in the neighborhood.  Don't get confused.  It's not a "SPORT" and you don't need to be an athlete.  Just look at the Loading Tables.  Mostly old fat guys these days.  Think GAME.  An expensive but really fun GAME!!  Welcome aboard.  Oh, Sunbody Hats make quality stuff.  Unless you want a Mariachi.  For a Mariachi, you're on your own.

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2020, 01:18:17 PM »
:)  Recommendations Only   ;)
I can no longer even think of recommending Uberti.

Welcome Chacon!  There are a great number of shooters, both that shoot CAS and those that don't that buy, possess, and shoot Uberti products and are well pleased with them. I am one! As in everything that is manufactured, all products, firearms included have their pro's and con's/strong points-weak points. Not everything with Pietta's is always perfect as with Uberti's. Personally I prefer Uberti's having owned and fired them since around 2006 (started shooting percussion in 1972). Our good friend and member Coffinmaker has been around these shootin irons for many a year, but if ya hang around here on the forum long enough you'll find he hates Uberti products and can't stand Remington handguns, loathes them.  ;D ;D
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Chacón

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2020, 01:54:51 PM »
I appreciate everyone's advice.  Interesting advice on the shotgun.  I'm definitely holding off on buying any shotgun until I can try someone else's.  Rifle, we'll see if they come back in stock, they're pretty sold out right now.  I would like to find a rig for Chacon and get a pair of revolvers.

I'd be interested in any advice anyone has for my holster rig.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2020, 04:31:59 PM »
I'm into a somewhat different mindset , course I always run against the wind as it were   ;D

CAS is a fantasy where you can get in deep or not so deep with your impression.
 SASS offers immersion as simple as a pair of Jeans , Ropers , and long sleeve shirt and many style hats .
Or there is Silver Screen, or many sources of period western wear. Some do militia or Military.
It is wide open...as much or little research as you wish.

Now, I enjoy the persona as much as the  shooting aspect. I like to read the history over ballistic, coronagraph results and the latest trick of the month Gun tune...

The advise you are getting,  is to attend , shoot a verity of guns and view the experience and range atmosphere as to your kit.

There is good number of leathersmiths right here in CAS City , look at your budget, befriend a shooter or two and listen to their suggestions.

Good hunting as it can be a enjoyable quest

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline DB Books

• My alter-ego
  • Very Active Citizen
  • JB's vengeful brother
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2020, 06:15:52 PM »
Welcome to the posse pal! I'm pretty new in these parts myself. Collecting up cloths, boots, leather, guns, etc costs some money. NE of the Mississippi anyway. But it'll be fun after a lifetime of watching all those TV & western movies since the 50's. There are many places on-line to get this stuff. But where you live, rummage sales and second-hand shops would also be a very good bet on the cheap. Not so much where I live in NE Ohio...
Never take life too seriously...there's always somebody else that will!

Offline hp246

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2020, 07:22:38 PM »
I appreciate everyone's advice.  Interesting advice on the shotgun.  I'm definitely holding off on buying any shotgun until I can try someone else's.  Rifle, we'll see if they come back in stock, they're pretty sold out right now.  I would like to find a rig for Chacon and get a pair of revolvers.

I'd be interested in any advice anyone has for my holster rig.

My advice on holster rigs.  Good quality custom leather is as expensive as a new gun.   Figure out what you want and order it from one of the reputable makers.  There are so many good ones out there, including on this site.  But your custom leather is going to take a while to get.  In the mean time, shop for a used set of leather.  You can frequently find top makers leather used at bargain basement prices.  It's nice to have an extra set around anyway.  When I was starting out I found a set of Mernickle leather for $100 that was like new.  Check this site, the Wire, Fleabay, and ask your contact at your local club.

Offline Chacón

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2020, 12:56:23 PM »
My advice on holster rigs.  Good quality custom leather is as expensive as a new gun.   Figure out what you want and order it from one of the reputable makers.  There are so many good ones out there, including on this site.  But your custom leather is going to take a while to get.  In the mean time, shop for a used set of leather.  You can frequently find top makers leather used at bargain basement prices.  It's nice to have an extra set around anyway.  When I was starting out I found a set of Mernickle leather for $100 that was like new.  Check this site, the Wire, Fleabay, and ask your contact at your local club.

I'd actually be fine with a nice used rig.  I've posted on fb groups a bit and my inbox blew up with people wanting to pull $400+ out of my pocket.  I'd be thrilled to have anything I can work with for $100 to get started.

Offline DB Books

• My alter-ego
  • Very Active Citizen
  • JB's vengeful brother
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2020, 01:36:25 PM »
yeah, everyone wants top dollar for leather and guns. Even the shirts and vests I buy start at 70 bucks. And being in the Great Lakes Region makes cheapo shopping very hard.
Never take life too seriously...there's always somebody else that will!

Offline paperchaser

• Retired
  • Active citizen
  • SASS #: 54926
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2020, 04:40:02 PM »
Welcome to roundup  :D  most fun you can have with your clothes on  ;) ;)

I agree with the Rossi 92; been shooting one for years with zero issues (except my neglect to store it properly)
Check out www.stevesgunz.com for the 92 (owned by member Nate Kiowa Jones)
Several 92s on Gunbroker

Absolutely attend as many matches as you can get to; watch, ask questions, etc.  Hey, we're all (well mostly) pretty friendly.  If you were closer I'd
gladly let you shoot my 92 anytime.  But El Paso is about 1,050 miles from me (Jackson, MS).  but you're welcome anytime.

Remember the rule:  a SLOW hit is better than a FAST miss.
SASS #54926
N.R.A. Pistol Instructor
Mississippi Peacemakers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com