Author Topic: Finally Got a Major Bucket List Item  (Read 2657 times)

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Finally Got a Major Bucket List Item
« on: February 20, 2021, 01:00:29 PM »
I received a new member into the family yesterday.  After sitting in the UPS depot in Houston for the last week due to the local weather, I got my new C Sharps 1874.  I bought it for long range competitions, and I figgered since this was a one time "bucket list" purchase I might as well dress it up a bit. It's a Bridgeport with 32" half round barrel, long range soule sights, upgraded wood, cheek piece, pistol grip, Hartford collar, hand checkering, etc.  Chambered in the venerable old 45-70.    I've been drooling over one for years, but the time (i.e. money) was never right.  I finally decided if I waited for the right time based on money it would never come, so I finally pulled the trigger and ordered it last March just after I retired.

She is a beauty.  I've been loading some ammo today and will get it to the range tomorrow.  I'll go through the recommended barrel break-in procedure, then start working on some appropriate black powder ammo.  I bought a bore riding mold from Steve Brooks to try, and it does make a huge difference in powder capacity.  my minimum load with no compression is about 68 grains of Olde Eynsford FFg.  With mild compression it is well over 70 grains.  I'm looking forward to spending some range time getting acquainted with her.
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
Re: Finally Got a Major Bucket List Item
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2021, 03:30:06 PM »
Good for you! I hope it shoots as good as it looks.

Dave

Online Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2021, 05:55:41 PM »
...She is a beauty....

No kidding!  Enjoy it!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:00:16 PM »

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2021, 07:30:49 PM »
Wow - thats a beauty. Congrats!
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2021, 06:07:40 PM »
I took her out today and did the barrel break-in procedure.  I sure hated putting that heathen fad smokeless powder down her bore, but it was for a good cause in the long term.  I also put together some initial black powder ammo to evaluate for a starting point for load development. With the limited ammo I had on hand, I got on steel at 100 and 200 yards, so I'm happy with that for now.  I'll put together a more varied assortment to evaluate and use my buddies ballistic radar next.  The other goal here was also to get some fire formed brass to work with for serious load development.

Good times - gives me something pleasant to focus on.
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 93
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2021, 08:01:16 PM »
Terrific looking rifle. I hope you have many years of enjoyment shooting it. You will wonder why you waited so long.  :)
A man's true measure is found not in what he says but in what he does.

Offline Gabriel Law

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2021, 06:02:57 PM »
Congratulations on your new rifle!!  What a handsome piece!!  You will enjoy that rifle for the rest of your life.

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2021, 03:34:20 PM »
I never realized how much that extra 2" of barrel (32") limited the selection of good hard cases available.  While I am sure there are others I'm not familiar with, it reduced the suitable ones from Midway's catalog from a plethora to only 2!  At any rate, I got it today and got the interior cut to fit the rifle, so I'm now ready to travel anywhere with it. 

Serious load development now begins.  I'm also reading the book on paper patching that ndnchief recommended, which will result in even more potential load development work.  Should be a good spring and summer.  ;D
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2021, 10:38:42 PM »
 :o ... Mighty nice!
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2021, 08:13:35 PM »
Well, I've finally had a chance to do some initial load development with my new bestest buddy.  While I'm sure there will further refinement, she seems to like Olde E 1.5Fg at about 68 grains with a Steve Brooks bore riding bullet.  I got about a 2" vertical by 4" horizontal group at 100 yards with a strong gusting wind.  I'm going to load 50 or 60 rounds to try at our upcoming long range match next weekend.  I suspect any misses will most certainly not be the rifle's fault!

I'm looking forward to finding that one ragged hole load - assuming my old eyes can still do that!  ::)
Learned Brother at Armes

Online Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2021, 09:49:58 PM »
Howdy Burn, I see you are signed up for Plainsman at Comancheria Days.  Shooting this Sharps?  I know Sharps isn't the fastest for that event.

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2021, 10:59:26 AM »
No, I've got a Winchester Highwall sporter I shoot for that.  The Sharps is for serious long range work.  I plan to take it to the Sagebrush 1,000 yard match this summer.  I need to spend a lot more time dialing in a good load for it before that!
Learned Brother at Armes

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com