Author Topic: Pertaining to holsters.  (Read 3260 times)

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3882
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 584
Pertaining to holsters.
« on: August 12, 2021, 03:31:27 PM »
In particular, cross draw holsters. I am right handed. I want a cross draw holster to carry on my left side, so is that a right hand cross draw, or a left hand cross draw?

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
Re: Pertaining to holsters.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2021, 03:42:50 PM »
Right hand cross draw
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2021, 06:23:17 AM »
Right hand cross draw

Thank you. I've been shopping on-line. It seems that most of the on-line merchants are confused about it.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:45:57 PM »

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2021, 06:52:02 AM »
It is associated with which hand is used,  opposed to the side warm 

Right hand = X draw on the left side of the buckle 

Only about 10 percent of individuals are left-handed worldwide hence

Righthand is the strongside in a holster location , and you naturally reach across you midsection to the left ,  to cross draw

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2021, 08:58:16 AM »
It is associated with which hand is used,  opposed to the side warm 

Right hand = X draw on the left side of the buckle 

Only about 10 percent of individuals are left-handed worldwide hence

Righthand is the strongside in a holster location , and you naturally reach across you midsection to the left ,  to cross draw

Exactly what I thought, but quite a few on the on-line retailers seem to think that because the cross draw holster is worn on the left side, then it is a left handed holster.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2021, 09:29:44 AM »
Over thinking or over complicating their own product

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 361
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2021, 01:22:26 PM »
The whole crossdraw holster itself is overthinking it. If you want to be authentic you really don't want a holster cut and made as a crossdraw. I've never seen an original pre 1900 holster made that way even though when studying old photos it was a common way to carry one. They are just regular holsters worn on the opposite side and sometimes in a canted cross draw position. I almost always carry my revolver on the opposite side but I use a regular Cheyenne holster. Slim Jims are even easier to carry that way with their narrow belt loop.

An authentic gun rig made the way the really were in the 19th century can be worn in a variety of ways.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2021, 02:50:16 PM »
The whole crossdraw holster itself is overthinking it. If you want to be authentic you really don't want a holster cut and made as a crossdraw. I've never seen an original pre 1900 holster made that way even though when studying old photos it was a common way to carry one. They are just regular holsters worn on the opposite side and sometimes in a canted cross draw position. I almost always carry my revolver on the opposite side but I use a regular Cheyenne holster. Slim Jims are even easier to carry that way with their narrow belt loop.

An authentic gun rig made the way the really were in the 19th century can be worn in a variety of ways.

Interesting. I guess I have never actually researched such things. I may need to do a little experimenting.

Offline OklaTom

• NCOWS Judge, NCOWS Life 172, GAF 719, SASS 73114, NRA Life, TSRA, Berger Sharp Shooters, Blue River Regulators, Kansas Vigilance Committee
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Bryan Buck
    • 3B Shooting Supply
  • SASS #: 73114
  • NCOWS #: L-172
  • GAF #: 719
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 62
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2021, 12:30:01 PM »
Interesting. I guess I have never actually researched such things. I may need to do a little experimenting.

Following a shoulder injury, and subsequent reconstructive surgery, I find it difficult to draw a 7 1/2” revolver from my strong side (right). I just push the holster around the belt to the left side and draw across my body. As Cliff said, few, if any, holsters from the period were made as cross-draw.
"I druther have a pocket full of rocks than an empty gun..."

OklaTom@att.net

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 190
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2021, 12:53:39 PM »
I choose the 4.5 inch vaqueros when I started cas partly for the [duelists] balance and esthetics but also having long arms the short bbl helped on the waist high strongside draw. Bbl length is not very important with a cross draw but a shorter bbl clears and reenters leather faster than a long one. I’m sure few men in the post Civil War west carried 2 revolvers. Roy, the Lone Ranger or Josey aside.  And as Chance often would tell me in my early days of match building ‘Ed, this is a fantasy sport’.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Smoke Wagon Leather Works
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2021, 01:46:07 PM »
I have had a few folks with long bbl's, and they usually want it at 3:00 or shoulder carry. I do try to convince the cross draw would be better. Unless they are double jointed and really bendy.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1194
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2021, 08:22:56 PM »
Following a shoulder injury, and subsequent reconstructive surgery, I find it difficult to draw a 7 1/2” revolver from my strong side (right). I just push the holster around the belt to the left side and draw across my body. As Cliff said, few, if any, holsters from the period were made as cross-draw.

I am high-waisted (not high and wasted  :D ) , or short torso, with long arms and it is a reach drawing strong side 7 1/2" guns.  I sometimes need to tell the Timer Operator to be careful I don't knock the timer out of his hand with my elbow when drawing.  I recently picked up some strong-side 7 1/2 holsters with about a 10 degree cant which make it easier to draw the long pistols especially if shooting gunfighter-style (not NCOWS), but they look pretty gamey.  What I have often done over the years with my more period leather is go butt-forward, drawing the gun on the left as a crossdraw, having slid the holster around in front of my hip before the beep.  And then drawing the right pistol with cavalry twist and use both hands to re-holster.  Probably not the fastest way but easy.  Pictures:
http://davidscottharper.com/shoot/CavTwist.htm

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 470
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2021, 09:54:59 PM »
Abilene, I feel if the Timer is standing that close that he's interfering with your draw, then he's crowding you. Too often I see them stand so that they're jamming the timer in your face. Tell them it's OK to give you breathing room. ;D :D
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 190
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2021, 10:43:55 PM »
Better listen to Sam.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2021, 10:00:25 AM »
Next question. Is it acceptable to carry a pocket pistol in a holster, or should it be carried tucked under your belt?

Actually carrying it in a pocket is out of the question. Pockets are way too small.

Offline OklaTom

• NCOWS Judge, NCOWS Life 172, GAF 719, SASS 73114, NRA Life, TSRA, Berger Sharp Shooters, Blue River Regulators, Kansas Vigilance Committee
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Bryan Buck
    • 3B Shooting Supply
  • SASS #: 73114
  • NCOWS #: L-172
  • GAF #: 719
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 62
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2021, 10:19:51 AM »
Next question. Is it acceptable to carry a pocket pistol in a holster, or should it be carried tucked under your belt?

Actually carrying it in a pocket is out of the question. Pockets are way too small.

I’m not sure I buy the “pockets are way too small”, unless you have not read the new definition of a pocket pistol.

A Pocket Pistol is defined as any pre-1900, percussion or cartridge, single or double action revolver, or replica thereof, that meets the following criteria:
1. A barrel no longer the 4 inches.
2. Weighing less than 27 ounces / 765 grams.
3. Any cartridges used to have a case length not to exceed 1.2 inches (typical of a .41 long colt.)
(Amended March 2021).

That aside, sure, you can stick one in a holster, as long as that holster is correct for the period.
"I druther have a pocket full of rocks than an empty gun..."

OklaTom@att.net

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2021, 12:02:08 PM »

Not sure if ANY shooting organization would sign off on carrying a firearm tucked under the belt.

But if you do, be sure to hold it sideways without aiming after you draw it . . .   ;)

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2021, 12:39:47 PM »
Not sure if ANY shooting organization would sign off on carrying a firearm tucked under the belt.

But if you do, be sure to hold it sideways without aiming after you draw it . . .   ;)

Once it is loaded, no one I know ever slips it back under their belt, or into a pocket.

RCJ

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2021, 01:46:43 PM »
I didn't assume as such. Being facetious.

Pocket pistols have disappeared from main stage scenarios in NCOWS. (Used to be it was a 5-gun scenario every stage.) In side matches now it is either carried up to the loading table in the hand, or, this is where shoulder holsters have become popular.
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Johnson Barr

• Berger Sharpshooters, KVC, Blue River Regulators #129, Johnson County Rangers, GAF
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS Life, NCOWS Merchant
    • J Barr Texas
  • NCOWS #: L-173
  • GAF #: 830
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2021, 12:34:35 PM »
Ah yes, but then there are those of us that use pocket pistols for the main match.  ;D
"Peace is that glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading"  -Thomas Jefferson

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com