Special Interests - Groups & Societies > Cosie's Corner & Feed Bag

Buffalo Tongue

(1/4) > >>

BrushyCreekDouglas:
Hey folks,

Out of all the stories from the hide hunter trade years, one that has always been intriguing to me is the fondness for buffalo tongues. Now I’ve heard references to them being pickled, but most are just mentioned as cooked buffalo tongue or the like. Does anyone know the predominant way folks cooked these on the frontier? I’d like to order a few from some of the bison farms and experiment, but a few google searches were futile in gaining any insight into this subject.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks folks!

ira scott:
0 experience, but I would think it would be delicious sliced thin, a little salt and pepper if available, threaded on a skewer(stick) and seared over the fire or coals.

Mouth watering, B.N. Scotty

River City John:
There are some pics of racks of tongues being smoked and dried in preparation to being sent back East for consuming in restaurants or Deli's, probably for sliced tongue sandwiches.

From buffalo hunter Henry H. Raymond's diary:

"JAN.  SUNDAY 5.  1873.

Sold meat and tongue today.  I sold 845 lbs one cent per pound.  let Jim have 3 hams (145 lbs)  got breakfast and dinner at hotel.  got can of oysters and glass cider.  at dance hall [at night]."

Advertising:

BrushyCreekDouglas:

--- Quote from: River City John on October 30, 2022, 11:18:36 AM ---There are some pics of racks of tongues being smoked and dried in preparation to being sent back East for consuming in restaurants or Deli's, probably for sliced tongue sandwiches.

From buffalo hunter Henry H. Raymond's diary:

"JAN.  SUNDAY 5.  1873.

Sold meat and tongue today.  I sold 845 lbs one cent per pound.  let Jim have 3 hams (145 lbs)  got breakfast and dinner at hotel.  got can of oysters and glass cider.  at dance hall [at night]."

--- End quote ---

Henry Raymond’s diary is pure gold. Being a big Bat Masterson fan is also part of the reason, ha!

I did read where “pickled” tongues were actually just salted tongues. Thanks for the insight!

River City John:
If you figure each tongue was roughly 2.5lbs each?

Could represent some 300-335 buffalo slaughtered for that sale alone. Considering practice at the time was to strip hide and remove tongue, leaving vast majority of carcass of meat to rot.

What a waste.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version