Special Interests - Groups & Societies > BROW

Rem No 1 Sporting rifle - Serial Number Range

<< < (2/5) > >>

Dave T:
The one Remington RB book I have, which doesn't list serial numbers, shows caliber markings of "45", 45.70", and "45-70" at various times which aren't specified.  Go figure.

Dave

Cap'n Redneck:
"Flayderman's Guide to Antique American Firearms", 9th. Edition, page 181:
"Overall period of production ca. 1868 - 1888.  Possibly as many as 12.000 manufactured."

Given that the .45-70 calibre debuted around 1873, and Your rifle's serial number is 10.854, my guesstimate would be "mid-to-late 1880s"...

Flayderman's also suggests a series of books called "Single Shot Rifles" by James Grant for more info.

Drydock:
Researching Remington you come away amazed at just how badly that company was run. 

Not much has changed.

Dave T:

--- Quote from: Cap'n Redneck on October 24, 2021, 04:19:54 PM ---"Flayderman's Guide to Antique American Firearms", 9th. Edition, page 181:
"Overall period of production ca. 1868 - 1888.  Possibly as many as 12.000 manufactured."

Given that the .45-70 calibre debuted around 1873, and Your rifle's serial number is 10.854, my guesstimate would be "mid-to-late 1880s"...

Flayderman's also suggests a series of books called "Single Shot Rifles" by James Grant for more info.

--- End quote ---

Cap'n I think you're probably right.  It's way to late to have ever hunted buffalo...but then my Shiloh Sharps Big 50 never hunted buffalo either.  (smile)

Dave

ndnchf:
Does this rifle have the contoured and graceful triggerguard? This is a feature of original #1 sporting rifles, but often overlooked on military conversions that have the heavy, full width triggerguard. Are the patent dates on the side of the receiver? Early sporting rifles were marked on the tang, but when they started drilling and tapping for tang sights, marks were moved to the side. My rifle is earlier than yours, in the 6XXX range and is factory drilled and tapped for a tang sight.

BTW, posting photos is easy. After hitting reply, look for the "Attachments and other options" link. Click on it and choose your image. Be mindful of the size limitation shown. Easy Peasy.

Advertisers:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version