Special Interests - Groups & Societies > Uberti, Pietta and other SAA Clones

New Uberti Stallion - pics and a few questions....

(1/3) > >>

Jimbo45:
Hi all!  First post here, but I have been doing a lot of reading here for a while.  Great place to learn about SAA's!

A little backround on me:  I have been shooting for 25 years, mostly semi auto pistols and AR15's since I am a firearms instructor with my PD.  I did have a Ruger Blackhawk .357 way back, but never shot it much.  But, now my seven year old is obsessed with guns and westerns, so I began looking into single actions as a training possibility, mainly for safety and ease of use over auto pistols.  Well, and I must admit, the old 1873 SAA has always had a soft spot in my heart, and the closest I ever had, was that blackhawk.  Until now....

I picked up this Uberti Stallion in .22LR today.  I have to say it looks and handles great.  I did notice that the front sight appears to be cut off and refinished!?  Every Uberti Stallion I have seen a pic of, has the normal round front blade.  This one is flat.  I have read about some owners complaining that the Stallions shoot very low...I wonder if this is a hasty factory fix for the low POI????  Also noticed that there is no crown cut on the muzzle? 

Also, upon receiving it at the dealer, the cylinder was very snug in a spot, when rotating it, and a few times I had the hammer cock all the way to the rear (past the 4th click stop, at cylinder index), and fail to index the cylinder properly.  It was not purchased from this dealer, he only did the transfer.  So, I took it home, and checked it out a bit closer.

It was apparent that the cylinder was dragging at a spot on the rear, on the rear of the frame, at the firing pin hole.  This gun was very tight.  I few careful strokes of a fine file on a few high spots, took care of that issue.  But, when cycling the action, I did have it fail to index the cylinder properly a couple more times.  I would notice it when cocking it, the hammer comes back farther than it should, and bottoms on the inside of the frame housing.  When it does this, you can rotate the cylinder further, and it locks into position where it should be. 

Anyone know what I can check, to fix the occasional failure to index issue?

Anyone seen a cut off (kinda roughly done too) front sight on a Stallion?

Is is common for these to not have a crowned muzzle?

Anyway, thanks for having me, I am going to fire it tomorrow.  This won't be my last post, either.  I have plans for a few more SAA's, and a lever gun.  Maybe some CAS in me and my sons future too!  Here are a few pics.....

Pettifogger:
"It was apparent that the cylinder was dragging at a spot on the rear, on the rear of the frame, at the firing pin hole.  This gun was very tight.  I few careful strokes of a fine file on a few high spots, took care of that issue.  But, when cycling the action, I did have it fail to index the cylinder properly a couple more times.  I would notice it when cocking it, the hammer comes back farther than it should, and bottoms on the inside of the frame housing.  When it does this, you can rotate the cylinder further, and it locks into position where it should be."

What you are describing generally indicates the hand is not engaging the cylinder ratchet teeth..  The Stallion has a coil spring and plunger hand spring setup.  Make sure both are in the frame and that the plunger is not sticking.  Also check that the hand is not dragging.  Lots of handguns have flat muzzles, so don't worry about that.  The front sight has been modified by the previous owner.

Jimbo45:
Thanks Pettifogger!  I assumed it had to do with the hand's spring. As I rotate the cyl, I can hear the plunger spring sqeaking as it moves back and forth.  I will take it out and make sure its working smooth and also make sure the hand sides are smooth.  Thanks again.

About the front sight....this gun is supposed to be brand new from the factory, according to the dealer I bought it from.  I know, though, it looks like an aftermarket mod.  Thats the reason I asked...it seems odd Uberti would be making them like this.   

:)

Advertising:

Jimbo45:
I had about a half hour at the range today and fired 36 rounds through it.  5 of the 6 loaded cylinders resulted in malfunctions, with one load it occurring twice.  I think it may not be a hand issue now, though.  It appears to be over clocking, as if the cylinder stop isn't snapping up all the time, and the cylinder spins past the notch, and then it pops up.  That is why the hammer is going back too far...the hand is pushing the cylinder around too far because it isn't being stopped when it should, by the cyl stop.  I hope to have some more time to check it out tonight or tomorrow.

What does it take to fix this condition?  I assume I am SOL with Stoeger or Uberti, and even if they would look at it, I bet the shipping would be a small fortune and huge hassle.  I emailed the dealer (out of state) to ask about his return/exchange policy and am awaiting a reply.

Any help, guidance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I am not against trying to fix it myself, if I am otherwise stuck with a paper weight.  I am very mechanically inclined, and have some fab skills, and have built and fitted 1911's in the past.  This SAA stuff is new to me, but I like to learn!  Thanks in advance.  Jimbo45

Pettifogger:
Front sight may be original.  They might have changed it since the last one I looked at.  Take the cylinder out and cock and release the hammer to see if the bolt is going down and coming back up smartly.  Put your finger on top of it to see if it has definite positive up force on the bolt.  If you have "built" 1911's you can surely fix a single action.  There are only four parts in there.  The trigger, bolt, hand and hammer.  Cylinder over rotation like you are describing can still be the result of a stuck/broken hand spring.  The hand acts as a brake lever on the cylinder ratchet teeth.  If there is no pressure or not enough the cylinder spins too fast and can over rotate before the bolt has a chance to come up.  Nice gun.  If you are the least bit mechanically inclined I wouldn't worry about it.  They are very easy to take apart and inspect and repair if necessary.  Could be something as simple as a burr keeping the plunger from moving properly.  (Could be they forgot to put the plunger in.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version