Special Interests - Groups & Societies > SCORRS

Disassembly Instructions for an 1858 Pietta Remington Revolver

<< < (2/3) > >>

Daniel Nighteyes:
Those instructions work great ---- for a revolver with the full-length barrel.  I have a pair of stainless Piettas with 5.5-inch barrels, and the cylinder pins come to a full stop on the loading lever latch before they can be removed.

Any suggestions on how I can remove the cylinder pins without completely dismounting the lever latches?  The pins are a little rough, and I'd like to smooth them out to facilitate removing/replacing the cylinders.

Montana Slim:
Daniel, Probably cannot remove the pins via "simple" means. If the retaning stud has a dovetail, you can knock it out and then remove the cylinder pin, otherwise the retaining stud is soldered in (like my DIY "bob" job).

I cut my full barrel to ~4" some years ago. I don't fret over removing the pin for cleaning. You should be able to round/polish the tip of the cylinder pin. This should greatly smooth/improve installation of the cylinder. Polishing the entire length is not necessary unless it is extremely rough.

Regards,
Slim

Angel_Eyes:
No problem Daniel,,,just cut off the piece of barrel with the lever catch attached,,,simple!!

AE

Sorry,,,couldn't resist it! :-[

Advertising:

Daniel Nighteyes:

--- Quote from: Angel_Eyes on July 24, 2009, 06:25:14 AM ---No problem Daniel,,,just cut off the piece of barrel with the lever catch attached,,,simple!!

AE

Sorry,,,couldn't resist it! :-
--- End quote ---

I kin always count on you, Angel Eyes...    ::) ;D ;D ;)

Flint:
My 5-1/2 inch Uberti the lever catch (barrel stud) is just held in tight enough in the dovetail to stay in place, latched.  With the lever down, the barrel studs can be pushed out of the barrel with my fingers.  Sometimes the stud might prefer to move one direction more than the other, try pushing both directions to test it.  If you can't press it out sideways with your fingers, use a brass or wood dowel and a small mallet.  If they get too loose after some use and time, the dovetail can be tightened a bit with a few dimples punched at the edge of the barrel flat.

To disassemble, lower and remove the loading lever and press out the barrel stud, and the cylinder pin can be pulled out.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version