Author Topic: Blackhawk, or Vaquero?  (Read 3087 times)

Offline Judge Jake McCord

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Blackhawk, or Vaquero?
« on: October 01, 2006, 05:53:49 PM »
OK, fellow RATS, give me some advice: I'm just getting started in CAS. I own a Ruger .45 Blackhawk, and an Uberti, same caliber, both with 5 1/2 inch barrels. I am debating what to do: trade in the Uberti for another Blackhawk? Or trade both in for a pair of Vaqueros? Any thoughts? ???

Judge Jake
Make haste, slowly.

Offline Adirondack Jack

• Top Active Citizen
    • www.cowboy45special.com
  • Liked:
Re: Blackhawk, or Vaquero?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2006, 08:47:21 PM »
If ya qualify for the SASS age-based categories, the BH sights are easier to see,and easier to adjust than adjusting ammo to POA like we do with a Vaq.  But if ya want a more or less traditional, bullet proof shooter with no sights that can get broke, the vaq is a great shooter.  It also qualifies in ALL cartridge categories, (at least if ya get a .45) where the Bh won't.
Warthog, Dirty Rat, SBSS OGBx3, maker of curious little cartridges

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 08:41:34 PM »
Good thoughts, Jack: I qualify for 49er (does that mean I could use Modern sights in Traditional category?).

My eyesight was never good and isn't improving with age!  ;D Owning two Blackhawks would give me a pair of pistols better suited for non-CAS as well, and I AM trying to trim, not increase, my gun accumulation, so versatility matters...  ???

Judge Jake
Make haste, slowly.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:00:17 AM »

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2006, 04:34:54 AM »
JJM:

No, Sir.  The 49er, Senior & the other age-based categories are NOT Traditional Catergory.  They are separate categories but will allow use of the Blackhawks.

My opinion only---Get 'nother Blackhawk.  Trade in the Uberti.  That is IF you wanna shoot age-based or Modern Categories. 
OH, YEAH!!----You can shoot adjustable sighted six-guns in B Western too.  I almost forgot 'bout that.

Good luck wit' your decision.
Talk to some other shooters in your club.
MG
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2006, 09:11:14 PM »
B-Western is what I do plan to shoot: BH is starting to sound better all the time.

Starting to wonder if I might be better off switching to .357 and using .38 loads: but, that's another topic!  :D

Judge Jake
Make haste, slowly.

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006, 03:31:31 AM »
Judge:

Well, there are some REAL deals on Blackhawks (the OM ones) out there now.   ;D
But please read up well on the category rules that you MAY wanna shoot & then make real sure that you CAN use the Blackies. 

Good shootin' in whatever you choose, Pard!

MG
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com