Author Topic: Primer Question  (Read 523 times)

Offline onegunred

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Primer Question
« on: February 26, 2024, 08:39:36 AM »
What is the preferred primer brand for use with a reduced power mainspring in a Ruger Blackhawk ?  For large pistol as well as small pistol.  Thanks, Jerry

Offline ira scott

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • AKA: Broken Nose Scotty
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 60
Re: Primer Question
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2024, 09:00:45 AM »
I believe the consensus is that Federal primers are the "softest".  You can almost judge by the packaging!

B.N. Scotty 
It is far better to remain silent, and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt!

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 471
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2024, 10:18:32 AM »
The absolutely best primers are any of the ones you can find on the shelves . . .
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:45:53 PM »

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 422
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2024, 02:24:01 PM »
The absolutely best primers are any of the ones you can find on the shelves . . .

.... and at a fair price....and not financing a new Mercedes-Maybach for the Price gouger.
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2024, 09:16:22 AM »

;)  PLUS ONE for ALL of THE ABOVE.

And to continue, Federal Small Pistol and Large Pistol are the easiest for ignition.  Small and Large Pistol Magnum are interchangeable.  Small Rifle are a Suitable Substitute for Small Pistol.  Large Rifle ARE NOT suitable for substitute.

At this point in time, Any Primers you can find of the Shelf are suitable, except perhaps for some foreign stuff.  Changing to a heavier Main Spring may be necessary for some primers (CCI).  Main Springs are Cheap, Primers are Not.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1213
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2024, 09:43:07 AM »
...  Changing to a heavier Main Spring may be necessary for some primers (CCI).  Main Springs are Cheap, Primers are Not.

CCI primers are no longer hard like they used to be.  I used CCI small rifle in my tuned CAS guns with no problem.  The dent in the primer was just a tiny bit less than Federals.

Now, I always heard that Winchester primers were "mid-range" in primer hardness.  But a shooter at a match Saturday was having a lot of misfires in pistols and rifle with some ammo from a commercial reloader with Winchester primers, and his pistols were stock new Vaqueros.  So who knows what was going on there. 

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2024, 09:29:34 AM »

:)  Well Heck  ;)

I must admit to being a creature of habit.  I have not tried using primers other than Federal for many Lustrum.  No real desire to dispute with success.  Hence, my rather jaded opine of CCI primers.

I will, in this instance, defer to Abilene as I have not even been tempted to "try" CCI following my initial foray which resulted in very poor performance.  At some point, I may well purchase a single package of 100 just for grins and giggles.  Maybe not.  I was up to join the National Procrastinators Anonymous but decided to wait until Spring.  Still looking for my 'round tuit.

Offline Hair Trigger Jim

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 914
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2024, 09:33:01 AM »
Still looking for my 'round tuit.

Yer sure yer lookin' and not just hopin' it'll turnip?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com