Author Topic: Question for you S&W guys?  (Read 2462 times)

Offline Danny Bear Claw

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Question for you S&W guys?
« on: December 04, 2011, 02:35:22 PM »
As those who read my posts know, I lost my Dad this past May and as I am the only "gunist" in the family, I inherited Dad's gun.  It is a S&W model 36.  It has an amature nickle plate job on it.  I intend to have it restored to original blue finish and have a set of ivory grips fitted to it with Dad's name scrimshawed on the left grip panel.
I took it out today to clean it.  Some guys clean their guns and some guys don't.  I didn't know which group my Dad was in.  Apparently he was a clean gun guy.
My question is - where did S&W put the serial numbers on their double action revolvers?  Dad's gun has a 6 digit number on the bottom of the grip frame and a completely different 6 digit number on the cylinder yoke.  Is this normal?  Was there a change of cylinder and yoke at some point?  I'm confused.  Any help would be much appreciated.   ???
SASS #5273 Life.   NRA Life member.  RATS # 136.   "We gladly feast on those who would subdue us".

Offline Mossyrock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Question for you S&W guys?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 06:18:05 PM »
The one on the bottom of the grip frame is the serial number.  The rest of them are assembly numbers....they aren't going to match the serial number.
Mossyrock

"We thought about it for a long time... 'Endeavor to persevere.' And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union."

Lone Watie

Offline Danny Bear Claw

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 10:31:18 AM »
Thanks Mossyrock.   So this number on the yoke is probably just a parts number?  Dad never said anything about a change of cylinder to me.
SASS #5273 Life.   NRA Life member.  RATS # 136.   "We gladly feast on those who would subdue us".

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:24:25 PM »

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 12:26:57 PM »
It's an assembly number - nothing more.

There should also be a serial number on one of the grip panels.

You might want to contact Smith & Wesson about doing the work - the nice thing is that they'll mark it under a grip panel and you'll 'know' the work was done right.

As to the plated finish - do you know if your Dad had it done - or did he buy it that way?

At any rate, a nickelled S&W appealed to him, so having it re-plated might be the best course.

If you send a PM - I can tell you when the piece left S&W.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Danny Bear Claw

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 05:40:06 PM »
St. George...  you are always a wealth of information and your help is much appreciated.  Dad let a friend of his nickle plate the gun.  The guy was just starting out plating at the time.  I told Dad at the time he should let the guy get some experience before letting him do his gun, but Dad wanted to help out a friend getting his buisness up and running so he let him do his gun.  It came back looking like an amature job from the start.  Dad was a high ranking securitly officer so always carried concealed.  I don't know if he ever regretted his decision to get the gun plated but over the ensuing years it's only gotten to look worse.
I'm sending you a private message with the serial number.  I'd be grateful for any info you can find and send back to me.
   8)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com