Author Topic: IWB Concealed Carry  (Read 15052 times)

Offline USBP1969

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
IWB Concealed Carry
« on: August 27, 2011, 09:08:16 AM »
Howdy.

About a month ago while I was testing some grips on air weight S&W's with +P loads I experienced a sharp pain in the web of my shooting hand.  To date there has been no improvement.  I carry concealed under Title 8 USC 926 both at home and while away from home.

I am a 24/7/365 caregiver and was able yesterday for the first time to get a local gun shop. I discovered, much to my delight , that I would be able to carry a fixed sighted Ruger 6.5" Single Six inside the waist band (IWB) with the butt forward for a reverse draw under my vest.

Problem is, now I have to find someone to build a holster that will fit the bill.  Any help would be appreciated.

-kent
Lose Sight = Lose Fight

Offline Bugscuffle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: IWB Concealed Carry
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 01:49:15 PM »
Does this have something to do with CAS????
I will no longer respond to the rants of the small minded that want to sling mud rather than discuss in an adult manner.

Offline USBP1969

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 03:25:03 PM »
Bugs,

When I saw the email notice that someone had answered my post I was excited.  Imagine my surprise.

The reason I posted my question on the CAS forum was that this was one of the few places where someone might know a good holster maker for an inside the waistband carry holster for an 1873 single action style handgun.

And, it had been my experience, at least until now, that folks on this forum were both friendly and helpful.

-kent
Lose Sight = Lose Fight

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:33:52 AM »

Offline Bugscuffle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 06:45:20 PM »
Kent,
Please accept my apology for having upset you. This was not my intention. I only want to keep the forum clear of off the subject threads. I supose that it is not inconceivable that you would want to carry a 6 1/2 single action revolver in an IWB concealed carry configuration, but you are the first person that I have heard of that actually is or will be trying it. I once had a friend that tried to carry his full size 1911 IWB and about the third time that a policeman stopped him and told him that he was about to get a very hefty fine, he went back to a compact gun and a stealthier carry mode. I wish you luck my friend, and again my sincerest apology.
I will no longer respond to the rants of the small minded that want to sling mud rather than discuss in an adult manner.

Offline USBP1969

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 08:35:18 PM »
Thanks Bugs.

I have been carrying in uniform and concealed formally in the USBP since 1969 and then when I retired switched over to smaller framed handguns since I carry while away from home as well as at home due to my age and the home invasions in my area. (I have to carry my retired badge and ID as well as proof that I qualified on a state course of fire within one calendar year when away from home.)

I "thought" I was all set, but as stated in the first post, the unexpected happened and now I am in BIG trouble!  I tried shooting one round Friday at the range with my S&W Model-10 2" and that was not a good experience. I had hoped that the extra weight would help.

As far as weight goes, I have carried a 1911 concealed which exceeds 40 oz. without a problem in the past and am now carrying the Model-10 when I leave home which is the same weight as the Single Six 6.5".  Friday at the gun shop I carried the 6.5" Single Six IWB without a holster and it was more comfortable than my Model-10 2" with a holster.  It must have something to do with the length and balance.  I would have traded the owner a couple of S&W 442's for it, but it had adjustable sights which are very likely to snag when using a reverse draw at speed.

Anyway, sorry about the mixup as I really do need a quality inside the waist band holster for the 6.5" Single Six, and even though I have been encouraged to switch to left handed shooting, I'd rather be accurate with my right hand with a .22 Magnum than "spraying and praying" with my left hand using a .38 Special.

-kent
Lose Sight = Lose Fight

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2011, 10:04:29 AM »
After years of trying all types of off duty holsters I found that just sticking a handgun inside my waist line butt forward. under my shirt works just fine. I normally carry a Glock 22 but at times carry a Colt SAA with a 5 1/2" barrel. Only twice in over 20 years have I had anyone ask me about the bulge.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline USBP1969

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2011, 11:48:52 AM »
Hi Shotgun.

Thanks for the info.

I did the same with the 1911, but that was in the south-west desert of the U.S.  Around here (SC coastal area), one has to either carry stainless steel, nickeled finish or anodized aluminum finish if carried without a holster.  A blue steel, unprotected handgun would be at risk for rust in short order.

I carried a Model-19 in a duty holster while stationed in Calais, Maine and it would rust during a shift!!   :'(

-kent
Lose Sight = Lose Fight

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2011, 04:15:48 PM »
The only other thing I'll suggest is wearing a shoulder holster between your undershirt and shirt.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline Bugscuffle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2011, 09:20:33 PM »
One more thing just poped into my thoughts. After you stick that hawgleg down the front of your pants, what's going to happen when you sit down? Will a lot of women be asking if you're glad to see them?

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2011, 10:40:07 PM »
If you routinely wear a vest of any type - there are several on the market that are designed specifically to conceal your piece.

Try the 'Gall' catalog - or '511 Tactical'.

As to having someone make you an IWB hoster - pretty much any of the guys on the 'Leather' forum can build you whatever you'd need.

Personally, my own CCW holster uses belt slots if I carry the Government Model or SIG - and anything else sits sans holster - behind the right hip.

In your region - maybe you should look at a stainless piece, like one of the Walthers.

Good Luck!

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline USBP1969

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2011, 10:54:48 PM »
:)

At my age Bugs, they'd be handing me a walking cane.

Actually, the weapon is carried butt forward on the strong side directly over the trouser seam.  That means that the butt is facing directly forward, parallel to the side of the body.  It's actually the safest way to draw a single action quickly and fire one handed without having to resort to a covered trigger guard. The reason is that the shooting hand wrist has to be bent in such a way that it's very difficult to cock a single action before the muzzle is well in front of one's body.  

Additionally, it carries very well that-a-way when seated in a vehicle.  It is not, however, a safe way to carry with a uniform holster as it presents the weapon to anyone standing to one's front. (Not a problem, however, when carried concealed.)

-kent

PS - My friend, a local sheriff's deputy / firearms instructor has been prevailing upon me to switch gun hands.  I have been resisting, but have decided to do both. That is, carry the Single Six strong side while my right hand heals as well as practicing left handed with a Model-36 and a Model 10 S&W.  Kind of a "Win-Win" situation.
Lose Sight = Lose Fight

Offline USBP1969

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2011, 11:02:35 PM »
St. George, guess you were answering while I was typing.

The Walther, I am sorry to say, would present the same problem as the S&W 38's in that the recoil from a .380 would be prohibitive until the hand heals. (If it heals) 

Friday, a friend had me try his S&W "J" frame with .32 H&R Magnums, thinking that it would be like a .22 Magnum. 'Twas not a pleasant experience.

-kent
Lose Sight = Lose Fight

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2011, 09:11:33 AM »
Get a Walther TPH in .22LR - it's stainless - then load Hyper-Velocity Vipers and carry it in a trouser pocket.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

Offline USBP1969

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2011, 09:24:36 AM »
St. George.

I'll give it a look see.

Never had much use for a shell shucking, bottom feeder, except for a Cold Woodsman I grew up with; that and a 5 1/2" barrel Single Six.

Sold my guns back then to pay for college tuition.  Bad move on my part.

-kent
Lose Sight = Lose Fight

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2011, 09:54:37 AM »
I think you'd like one, after you've been amazed at the accuracy.

I've carried autos most of my life - never had one fail - and first used the little Walther in Europe, years ago, before they were built here in America.

Good Luck.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

Offline Tjackstephens

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2011, 02:30:28 PM »
If you are still looking for a holster for conceal carry of a single action call El Paso leather maker in El Paso, TX. Tell them what you have and what you want. They are just THE BEST!  Tj
Texas Jack Stephens:   NRA, NCOWS #2312,  SASS # 12303, Hiram's Ranger #22,  GAF #641, USFA-CSS # 185, BOSS# 174,  Hartford Lodge 675, Johnson County Rangers,  Green River Gunslingers, Col. Bishop's Renegades, Kentucky Col.

Offline USBP1969

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2011, 06:00:36 PM »
Hi TJ.

Yes sir, great leathergear.

I tried, but...

Actually the EZ carry is not made for a gun that size, seems that a 6  1/2" barrel is a little too long for inside the waistband.  Thank you.

Don
El Paso Saddlery
Lose Sight = Lose Fight

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2011, 07:56:11 AM »
I'm not trying to put you off CAS City by any means but I am also a member, I mostly lurk, at a great concealed carry forum.  http://concealedcarryforum.com/forum/  These people are serious about concealed carry and will probably have many, many suggestions for you.

Bugscuffle, and any one else, if you feel that a post is inappropriate or in the wrong forum you can use the report feature in the lower right hand corner of the post to alert the moderators who will then take the appropriate action.
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 170
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2011, 09:25:53 AM »
Your post, I feel, was the appropriat and at the same time helpful response. Thank you. WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline USBP1969

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2011, 09:41:57 AM »
Thanks amigo.  I just finished sending you a PM about Calais.
Lose Sight = Lose Fight

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com