Author Topic: Which would you buy? modern double action revolver  (Read 27883 times)

Offline WyrTwister

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Which would you buy? modern double action revolver
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2010, 08:23:14 AM »
I am currently in the process of deciding which double-action revolver to buy, either a Tarus "judge" .45 LC/.410 or a Ruger Super Redhawk in .44 mag.  I am seeking opinions of both firearms.

Find a good , used S&W , they are th class act of DA .  I have .357 , .44 Mag & .45 LC .

Good piece of workmanship .

Having said that , I would like to give a Redhawk a try out ...........

God bless
Wyr

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • "To sing, to laugh, to dream, cock my hat, or gun"
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2010, 08:57:16 AM »
Having shot neither I can't give an answer, but I have a GP100 in .357/.38 special which has replaced my .45 LC SA Vaquero as my "go to gun" I still shoot the .45 but I find the GP100 more accurate at the distances I shoot. I hear good and bad about the .44 mag. some can't handle the recoil  and become, shall we say aprehensive? Others don't mind it. A rule of thumb is shoot what you are comfortable with. If you like/are comfortable big bores i.e. revolvers/pistols whose caliber begiin with the number 4 than go for it; but do not over-gun yourself  that is not a good thing.
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242
"Never apologize Mr.; it's a sign of weakness."
Capt. Nathan Brittles {John Wayne} in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2010, 09:55:14 AM »
I've been a Cop for nearly 34 years. I've carried all kinds of guns, on and off duty. I don't know you well enough to give you an answer. I don't know if you can 'Open Carry' where you're at or if you need to conceal your gun. How big are you? I'm 6'8" and 330. I can stick a SAA, a Glock 22 or a S&W 28 inside my shirt and it's concealed. I will suggest that you'd likely be best served by 2 guns. One powerful enough to defend yourself and small and light enough to actually carry. The second a fun to shoot, powerful enough to hunt with a 'Sport' gun. Might you find one gun to do both? I don't know because I don't know you well enough?
Also it's better to shoot someone with a gun that is as stock as possible with ammo readily available anywhere you go. In Court, it could go that far, you'll want to look as average as possible and not like a guy who was hunting a bad guy just to shoot'm.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Advertising

« Reply #43 on: Today at 12:43:02 PM »

Offline WyrTwister

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2010, 10:56:47 AM »
Having shot neither I can't give an answer, but I have a GP100 in .357/.38 special which has replaced my .45 LC SA Vaquero as my "go to gun" I still shoot the .45 but I find the GP100 more accurate at the distances I shoot. I hear good and bad about the .44 mag. some can't handle the recoil  and become, shall we say aprehensive? Others don't mind it. A rule of thumb is shoot what you are comfortable with. If you like/are comfortable big bores i.e. revolvers/pistols whose caliber begiin with the number 4 than go for it; but do not over-gun yourself  that is not a good thing.

If you reload , you can tailor your ammo ( .44 Mag ) to fit your tolerance for recoil and muzzle blast .  I load .44 Mag to about 75% of factory ammo .

And , with the revolver calibers , it depends on if you are shooting a wheel gun or a lever gun .  If you wish to go to the trouble of loading 2 power levels of ammo .

God bless
wyr
\

Offline RickB

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Black Jack
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2010, 08:30:49 PM »
I've seen the judge and while it is an interesting gun I, myself, would pass on it. Not my type.

I have a Ruger Redhawk .44 mag with a 5 inch barrel. I love it. I took off the stock grips (too small for my taste) and put on pachmyre grips. Much better. You can shoot .44 mag or .44 special through it. So you can make it go boom or you can make it go BOOM!!! Also, you can get some shot shell .44 bullets for carry in snake country. Just so you know. I have some and they are a good option for camping and such.

In my opinion it is hard to beat a Ruger. And a .44 mag will work great as a hunting round.

If you get the chance take both out and shoot them with a bunch of different rounds. Then you will get an idea of what will work best for you.
Ride Safe and Shoot Straight.
Rick.

Offline Smoke Jensen

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2010, 09:02:42 PM »
Well, dealing with the Judge. I have seen that at the first of the year the Judge was being sold like crazy in my neighborhood and now that the newness has worn off, I have seen these Judges that were traded in for other guns that do not have the kick that the Judge has. Granted about half of the one's who bought the judge and traded it in were women.   
Don't let your Butt overload your mouth!...Unknown...,   Courage is being scared to death and still saddling up!...John Wayne...

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 363
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2010, 09:32:02 PM »
The SRH is my choice for modern double action but I'm sure the original poster has made his decision by now since this thread is over 3 years old. ;)
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2010, 08:39:38 AM »
Since you already reload the .45 Colt, look for a used S&W M-25. It will take some looking around but they are out there. There's not much in North America that you can't hunt with a .45 and it a fine self defense round. The M-25 is at the upper levels of size when it come to everyday carry but unless you're trying to carry concealed it can be done. You really don't need a more powerful handgun for self defense and as for hunting, if you can't kill it with a .45 Colt then you probably ought to be using a rifle anyway.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline baddwolf7

• Rule # 1 in a gunfight, bring a gun!
  • Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2011, 02:16:05 PM »
I own several autos al and 3 revolvers, 2 double action, one sa for cowboy. My favorite carry in DA is my Tarus .44 4" Tracker. Out of the box it was dead center. Stainless with nice soft grips to absorb the recoil which isnt bad. If I had it to do over again I would buy the same one .
My Son, My Soldier, My Hero

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com