Author Topic: opentop leather  (Read 7343 times)

Offline sweettooth

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
opentop leather
« on: February 01, 2006, 05:40:10 AM »
How are you gentleman carrying your opentops. I like the look of a double crossdraw shoulder like clint carried a couple of his and j.j. in the movies but I know that wouldnt be legal.  also thinking of double thin confed. states belt and cutting the flap off .
 They are 5 1/2 barrels .  I will never be a area top speed  shooter and I am too fat to be a dandy but I would still like to have a little style.  my present leather is strong side +  cross draw and the leather fits my vaqueros and ubertis Truly H.C. Sweettooth
storm
usmc 67 70
dav
semper fi

Offline Pony Racer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: opentop leather
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 06:53:05 AM »
I carry mine in holsters designed to be late 1800's naval pistol frogs.  Since I play mostly as a USRCS officer - they fit the guns great and are period correct.

here is link to guy who made mine

www.kidcouteau.com

PR
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy
Member Fire & Brimstone Posse
Having fun learning the ways of the cowboy gun
WAHOOOOOOOOOO YEHAWWWWWWW

Offline Big Hext

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2006, 04:35:57 PM »
Howdy sir.. and a good looking pair of pistols you'll be sporting, no doubt! ;)

As for leather, the good thing about Opentops is they will work with any Colt type holster.  Most of my stuff is San Pedro Saddlery, but Big Ed has been in poor health and I've not seen him online much.. I'll have to check on him.  His work is excellent, but not always the quickest to get.

Rudy at Black Hills is a good guy and a Texan to boot..

Grouchy Old Bear who used to post on TFS seems to have excellent work and his slimjims were very nice.

Wild Rose Trading Post has unbelievable work and Chuck knows his history, so you can get it really right.

There is also a local guy, Drew Causey with Lone Star Leather.. he shoots with the Driftwood bunch and he does nice period work as well.

Too many to really pick from, but if you want black, then I'd go with Big Ed or Rudy.. both of their blacks are true and hold.. my pimpin' black rig is for my OTs.. sweeeeeet!
Adios,

Thank you for being you.. Annie Lee!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:55:28 AM »

Offline sweettooth

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2006, 05:52:18 PM »
 Thanks for the referals. While driving I remember a louis lamour book I read 30 yrs ago called The First fast Draw about how he cut down his military holster to get his gun out quicker than the bad guy did. Cant remember yesterday but a book 30yrs, ago  guess thats old timers kickin in.                                                                                          Truly  H.C. Sweettooth
storm
usmc 67 70
dav
semper fi

Offline Ed Clintwood

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2006, 06:34:15 PM »
I had my holster for my 2nd Dragoon made by Old River Saddlery.  It's a cross draw and they were great to work with, the bonus with it is that it also works for my Ruger Old Army.  The web site is www.oldriversaddlery.com

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2006, 09:22:27 AM »
http://www.carricoleather.com

He is a vendor here at CasCity

I've known David for years and have used his wares both in Propping for Films & for my own personal reenacting equipment.
I highly recommend him.
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline sweettooth

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2006, 11:08:37 PM »
thank you gentlemen . Is there any way a double hucklleberry could be used in match or are double cross draw toatally 
 against the rules?  Picked up my guns today might never shoot them look too pretty . got 2 other sets of pistols for  work .
  I heard Big hech say his pimpin holsters, Sure like the sound of that phrase ,, because these sure are my pimpin guns .
  with double huckelberry and the but ending up just above my waist they sure would look good.  I'm 58, pot belly, noasatol ,                     
  but man those guns would look good. I ve got anothe rquestion but think Ill post under different topic.
                                                                            H.C. Sweettooth     New but loving in it

storm
usmc 67 70
dav
semper fi

Offline Big Hext

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2006, 12:02:41 AM »
Howdy,

You can use a double huckleberry if you want, it does make it hard to not break the 170 rule... lots of twisting.
My rig is made of double cross-draw holsters which I wear Hickock style most of the time, that is facing backward.  I use the cavalry twist draw.  If I'm trying to shoot for time, rather than style, I turn the rig around.

Adios,

Thank you for being you.. Annie Lee!

Offline sweettooth

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2006, 06:08:15 AM »
 Thanks I have always liked the hickcock style . The double huckleberry will help the noasatal , S.T.
storm
usmc 67 70
dav
semper fi

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2006, 12:50:19 PM »
What is "noasatal"...? ???

yeah... but I was scared to ask  ;D
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Cuts Crooked

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2006, 03:59:52 PM »
..ain't got no asatol. ::)
Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
Honorary member of the Mormon Posse
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914
...work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody is watching..

Offline Triggersmith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2006, 10:08:19 PM »
I make all my own leather goodies and I have a crossdraw and a Huckleberry for my 1860 Army 44.
I kind of fell in love with the setup Doc had in Tombstone and just had to make one. That is a lot of iron hanging under your arm. I can guarantee you won't hide it under your sport coat.  Looks good though.
Watch yer topknot
Triggersmith
See my ads in Cas City Classifieds

Offline Sod Buster

• My Barn, My Rules
  • Top Active Citizen
  • What happens in the Barn - Stays in the Barn
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2006, 11:37:14 PM »
Most of my stuff is San Pedro Saddlery, but Big Ed has been in poor health and I've not seen him online much.. I'll have to check on him.  His work is excellent, but not always the quickest to get.

Thats's true!  I placed an order for two holsters last June and I am still waiting for it! :( :(
SASS #49789L, NCOWS #2493, RATS #122, WARTHOGS, SBSS, SCORRS, STORM #287
ROII, NRA RSO, NRA Benefactor, VSSA Life

Offline sweettooth

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2006, 05:16:20 AM »
 thanks for that bit of info . I know I will wait a little over a month for a double thats o.k. but I dont want to stretch it  into 9 weeks.                                                 S.T.
storm
usmc 67 70
dav
semper fi

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com