Author Topic: R&D cylinder in Uberti 1860 Colt.  (Read 3933 times)

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
R&D cylinder in Uberti 1860 Colt.
« on: January 12, 2006, 04:27:44 PM »
Howdy to the camp,

I just had an opportunity to use R&Ds 45 Colt 5 shot conversion cylinder in a Uberti 1860 Army.  I got it from Taylor's to do an article on.  Iy worked flawlessly, even though it is a five shot cylinder on a six shot gun (how do they do that<g>).  It did shoot 8"  high at 15 yards, but many 1860s do.

It is SASS legal, as the cylinder locks in place between cylinderss in lieu of an empty chamber.  It does this the same way a Richards Conversion with 12 locking lugs locks it inbetween chambers.  It has ten locking slots, and it iocks into an "in between" slot.  It is not as easy to use as a Remington R&D, as you have to break apart the whole gun to load (love them Remmie conversions<g>

ANOTHER NICE FEATURE ON IT AND THE NEW 1858 CYLINDERS IS THE WITNESS HOLES ADJACENT THE CASE RIMS!  That way you can see which chamber is empty.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
Re: R&D cylinder in Uberti 1860 Colt.
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006, 06:36:33 PM »
Can it be bought , when you complete you test ?

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 09:59:11 AM »
Howdy,

I sent it to Bottom Dealin Mike so he could write an article for GOW.  I think Taylor's has them in stock, though.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:48:34 PM »

Offline BlaiseNSaddles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2006, 05:05:00 PM »
That is one of the first guns I started CAS shooting with.  An 1860 with a R&D conversion.  Lot's of fun, but a bit slow on the unloading.

Put through cowboy load smokeless, BP, Pyrodex, 777.

What I did to keep the line moving at the loading table is walk up with the thing pistol parts, load the cylinder, slip it together and then had a small hammer an tapped the wedge into place.

A couple of times I had to explain to the table officer the middle notches were safties but everyone got the idea real fast.

Sold it off but it still was a real fun gun.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com