Author Topic: Opportunity to Purchase a Spencer Carbine does anyone have any thoughts?  (Read 1272 times)

Offline Gijoeou812

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
I have an opportunity what I think is a nice Spencer Carbine from a guy locally. The metal finish is almost all gone and is very bright. But there is really not much wear to the metal parts of the carbine.The bore is shinny, stronger and I did not see any pitting.
Please see the pictures that I have attached and let me know your opinion on the condition and what would be a good price to pay for this piece of history. The serial number is 10707 any information about it would be great. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you,
Gijoeou812

Offline Gijoeou812

• Citizen
  • Liked:
More pictures of the carbine.

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
There's an obvious hang tag - how much do they want?

The discussion can go from that point.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Advertising

Offline Gijoeou812

• Citizen
  • Liked:
They are asking $2,600.00 for the carbine.

Offline DJ

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
Finish is about average, cracks in the stock leading back from lockplate are a negative--cartouches a minor positive.  The lockplate inletting looks a little dinged up.  Can't tell if cracks are starting from the buttplate going forward or not, but remember that cracks in Spencer buttstocks never get better.  In the photo with the serial number there appear to be scratches at the back of the cartridge guide and where the stock joins the receiver--that and the various issues with the buttstock suggest to me that something was done to it beyond aggressive cleaning--it looks at least refinished but might be replaced or interior repairs. You'll want to go over the wood carefully.  Your last photo suggests wrench marks on the barrel--you'll want to check the serial number match between barrel and receiver and also the condition of the metal under the wood.

It looks like it may have been dry-fired a bit--if you're thinking of shooting it, you should look inside the chamber on the right side where the firing pin hits--too much dry-firing can dent the end of the barrel and push metal into the chamber, making it out of round--fixable, but still not a positive.  You should also look inside the left side of the chamber to see if it is chipped over the extractor, and if so, how badly.  A small triangular chip is common, but if it's much larger it can present issues.

Others (seller included) will probably disagree, but to me it looks more like a $1500-ish gun.

Offline Gijoeou812

• Citizen
  • Liked:

Yikes DJ,

You can see a lot more than I can in the pictures, but I know that comes from your experience in these rifles and carbines.
     It sounds like I should run away from it, because I am sure that he will not come down to $1,500.00.
     Thank you for your input.

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
'Good' Spencers can be found if one is patient.

The problem lies in the fact that they don't often appear in gun shops, where the seller can price them at what he believes an impulse buyer can stand - look at 'good' gun shows or established dealers in material from the period.

If you're serious - buy Marcot's book and read the thing before even considering opening your wallet.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline DJ

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
I agree with St. George--there are good Spencers out there, but you have to look for them.  A good gun show with a decent number of antiques should have a few, and you will probably find prices all over the map. 

Do read Marcot's book, and then take as many opportunities as you can to handle as many different Spencers as you can get your hands on, then compare what you saw and touched with the info in the book.  If you can't ID the different models yet, you will soon be able to, and you will also develop a "feel" for things that are "right" or "wrong" with a gun you are looking at.

Enjoy, and good luck!

--DJ

Offline 38OVI

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
There is a Spencer for sale at www.donleyauctions.outlook.com on 17 September.  Spencer Carbine # 54328  Starting bid is currently $ 1000.
Lot # 1075

If you have a yearning for an 1860 Henry #6612 the starting bid is $15,000    Lot # 1051  No bids shown yet.

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
One of the chiappa Spencer .45colt rifle/musket would be fun. Anyone here have one they’d care to talk about?
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Re: Opportunity to Purchase a Spencer Carbine does anyone have any thoughts?
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2022, 07:50:17 AM »
I always thought one of the reproduction muskets in .56-50 would be a lot of fun, but I really don't need any more cartridges to load for.  I think I'm at twenty-three now!
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
Re: Opportunity to Purchase a Spencer Carbine does anyone have any thoughts?
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2022, 11:16:37 AM »
My thoughts exactly, that’s why it would have to be 45colt to get my interest. I only load for 14 calibers.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com