Author Topic: CONVERSIONS ANYONE ??  (Read 3448 times)

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: CONVERSIONS ANYONE ??
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2022, 01:43:53 PM »
 :)  CraigC  ;)

Actually, the more recent Pietta convert with Kirst Konverters quite well.  I will strongly suggest however, with the Kirst and the 5 Shot conversion, you will want the new two step hand from Kirst.  I believe the new 1860 converters are being shipped with the new hand and it results in better "carry-up" and lock-up.

PS:  What happened with your non-functional "wall hanger??"

PSS:  I realize this has nothing whatsoever to do with the subjects at hand, but, I really really like that Stump ;D

Offline Reverend P. Babcock Chase

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2022, 11:20:15 PM »
Howdy all, esp. you Dragoon,

My 1851 conversion is one of those "Public Defenders". I had a gunsmith friend fit the parts and cut the loading channel. It's chambered for .38 S&W. As you and others discovered it won't shoot factory ammo with a darn. Enter the soft, swaged lead hollow based wadcutter. I'm still experimenting with loads, but I have found that once the charge has enough pressure to expand the base, my gun is a tack driver. The expanded base must grip the rifling and seal the bore while the front of the bullet must act like a nose riding cast rifle bullet.

That's my experience, FYI,
Rev. Chase

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 123
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2022, 08:05:52 AM »
Hey Rev!!
  I hear ya!!!  :)   I have to admit I had a lot of fun with that "introduction" into conversions.  My target in those days was a 55gal drum that appeared in a small drained lake on private property.  So, it was good enough with "minute of 55 gal drum" accuracy at 30 yds or so.
 The "modern conversions" though are so nice and definitely easier to install and of course you could  drill and mount a Kirst plate if you felt the need but .  .  .  I've never felt the need!!! Lol! And, the accuracy  of the setup with today's fast twist rifling (appropriate for .45 cal bullets) makes for very accurate shooters!  An example being my ROA's are inherently accurate out of the box ( they're long cyl Blackhawks, why wouldn't they be?!!) but my Dragoons are even better. 
  Hopefully,  the new '60 in 45acp will be the same after some more familiarizing range sessions.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @goonsgunworks

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 03:19:39 AM »

Offline Graveyard Jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • aka CraigC
    • Graveyard Jack's Custom Sixgun Leather
  • SASS #: 81,827
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2022, 12:45:47 PM »
:)  CraigC  ;)

Actually, the more recent Pietta convert with Kirst Konverters quite well.  I will strongly suggest however, with the Kirst and the 5 Shot conversion, you will want the new two step hand from Kirst.  I believe the new 1860 converters are being shipped with the new hand and it results in better "carry-up" and lock-up.

PS:  What happened with your non-functional "wall hanger??"

PSS:  I realize this has nothing whatsoever to do with the subjects at hand, but, I really really like that Stump ;D
My earlier Piettas from the mid 2000's function better with the original single tooth hand than the later engraved gun does with the Kirst two step hand. The conversion ring also fits perfectly against the frame. Even after "professional" installation (not Kirst).
SASS #81,827

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2022, 09:32:00 PM »
My Anderson .44 Colts

My Uberti Richards Type IIs

MY Kirsts: Saber River .45 and 1851 .38 Colt

TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Tornado

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2022, 01:20:34 PM »
The 1860 and the Dragoon are my favorites:

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1181
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2022, 01:33:18 PM »
The 1860 and the Dragoon are my favorites:
That picture makes the 1860 look like a pocket pistol.  ;D

Offline Jack Wagon

• Top Active Citizen
  • the High Sierra
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2022, 01:23:11 PM »
Yea, conversions are fun!     Pietta New Model with Kirst .45 Konverter, miraculously shoots to point of aim at 25 yds. Pietta 1860 sheriff with a Howell's .45 converter. The brass rod is an onboard wedge and ejector tool.  Jw
Jack Wagon
Member NRA
Member #358 SSS

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• Top Active Citizen
  • "Centaures will make you become addicted"
    • Belgian Colt, aka Centaure, aka Centennial Army, aka "1960 NEW MODEL ARMY"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2022, 01:41:56 AM »
A couple of Centaure an two Colt Walker conversions at the recent Meeting of the FROCS in July 2022.
Long Johns Wolf
BOSS 156, CRR 169 (Hon.), FROCS 2, Henry Board, SCORRS, STORM 229, SV Hofheim 1938, VDW, BDS, SASS

Offline middletownbob

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2022, 08:17:50 AM »
LJW, as ive said before, those guns are the real McCoy as far as Colt Conversions are concerned..they scream Old West 1870's- 1900 period.....wish someone here in the States would manufacture them like yours!! middletownbob

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• Top Active Citizen
  • "Centaures will make you become addicted"
    • Belgian Colt, aka Centaure, aka Centennial Army, aka "1960 NEW MODEL ARMY"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2022, 09:15:43 AM »
I was always under the impression there were a number of gifted conversion artists in the U.S.A.
Long Johns Wolf
BOSS 156, CRR 169 (Hon.), FROCS 2, Henry Board, SCORRS, STORM 229, SV Hofheim 1938, VDW, BDS, SASS

Offline middletownbob

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2022, 11:13:24 AM »
i guess there used too be, but really expensive, i dont think now there is any one making them in production that are affordable...I have an Uberti 1851 Navy that i love but they dont capture that museum quality that yours have...also Rem type conversions by Uberti are not that historical compared to what to had made...my opinion

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2022, 11:40:54 AM »

:)  Well . . . KRAP  ;)

Decided my 1860 Conversions went so well, I just had to have them with Navy Pattern barres, look like 1851s even if in .44.  What a dismal disappointment.  The fit of the Kirst 1851 Ejector assembly fitment is ABYSMAL.  WOBBLE all over the map.  I haven't figured a way to make them align correctly and not wobble.  What a disappointment.  Boo Hiss!!

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2022, 12:23:08 PM »
I had to cut a piece of neoprene to fit under the rear tab of one to keep it from wobbling. I've often thought about drilling and tapping a hole for a set screw to take up the wobble but this works so I just don't bother. I'm assuming you don't have one for the wrong brand barrel assy.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2022, 12:15:32 PM »

:) Marshal  ;)

Nope.  I have the correct Ejector Assemblies.  I did try a fitted Brass Washer under the rear tab, which helped but didn't fix the problem. 

With a lot of "shimming" under the rear tab, the wobble will stop but then the Ejector is at the wrong angle for the Bore Axis and looks wonky.

Plus, the Thumb Buttons are too large.

(mumble mumble mumble)

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2022, 03:17:23 PM »
Maybe you could put a set screw in both tabs and adjust the angle using the two of them against each other.

Offline JimCunn

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2024, 09:30:43 AM »
My .45 acp Kirst Conversion

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2024, 05:54:55 PM »
I have:

a pair of Anderson (Pre-AFF) .44 Colt 1860 conversions
A pair of Kirst/Pietta .45 Colt 1860 conversions
A pair of Kirst/Pietta .38 Long Colt 1851 conversions.
A pair of Uberti No 3 Americans in .44 Russian
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2024, 09:58:45 AM »

:) Will Wingam  ;)

Well heck, 2022 re-visted.  As a matter of fact, I wound up doing just that.  I drilled and tapped both front and real tabs for the Navy pattern ejector assembly and using #10-32 set screws in tension against each other.  Worked a treat.

Also, it seems there has been a later modification of the Kirst Ejector Assembly to "hopefully" eliminate the lousy alignment and wobble.  I haven't had one "in hand" so I don't know how well it works.

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2024, 11:05:09 AM »
Glad to heat that did the trick. You have a photo of that?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com