Author Topic: Looking for a book recommendation  (Read 1976 times)

Offline LongWalker

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 911
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
Looking for a book recommendation
« on: June 10, 2021, 03:36:43 PM »
I'm trying to put together a bunch of assorted info; of course, that means I need more information. 

I'm looking for (ideally) one volume or source that discusses arms issued to the various Army units in the west, and the dates they were in use, from roughly 1865-1880.  What info I've found so far is incomplete, scattered in coverage, occasionally contradictory, and drawn from more than a dozen different books. 

Thanks,
Jim
In my book a pioneer is a man who turned all the grass upside down, strung bob-wire over the dust that was left, poisoned the water, cut down the trees, killed the Indian who owned the land and called it progress.  Charles M. Russell

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Re: Looking for a book recommendation
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2021, 06:27:34 PM »
Good luck with that!  Honestly, that looks like the kind of info you get from lots of different sources.
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:52:45 AM »

Offline LongWalker

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 911
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2021, 07:16:23 PM »
thanks for the link Silver Creek Slim!

Good luck with that!  Honestly, that looks like the kind of info you get from lots of different sources.

That's the problem.  I've spent the cost of a decent revolver on references over the past 2 years, to put together less than a page of notes on who had what when.  It is an interesting question, but I'm just not interested enough to continue for much longer. 
In my book a pioneer is a man who turned all the grass upside down, strung bob-wire over the dust that was left, poisoned the water, cut down the trees, killed the Indian who owned the land and called it progress.  Charles M. Russell

Offline smoke

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2021, 09:25:37 PM »
Let me poke through all that I have and see if one or two of them can answer that question.  However I think the answers probably lie in some old US Army reports.
GAF#379

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2021, 04:58:53 PM »
Howdy Longwalker.
I have a two volume set by Douglas C. McChristian called Uniforms, Arms, and Equipment - The U.S. Army on the Western Frontier, 1880-1892.   Though I haven't delved into them much at all, they seem pretty informative.  I wondered if the same guy did the same thing for the earlier era, and see he has a book called The U.S. Army in the West, 1870–1880: Uniforms, Weapons, and Equipment Illustrated Edition.  I don't know anything else about it.  Maybe you've seen it?

Offline Arizona Trooper

• Top Active Citizen
    • Civil War Guns
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2021, 06:46:14 PM »
John McAulay's Carbines of the US Cavalry is good for mounted troops, but probably not as detailed as you are looking for. John recently left for that great ordnance depot in the sky. He was an amazing researcher and will be missed.

Offline Robert Swartz

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 892
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2021, 10:09:30 AM »
.....for general knowledge. Any of McChristians books will get you in the general vicinity. Beyond that you need returns,  reports and inventories of individual units.
"Copperhead Bob"
GAF# 892
Sgt Maj (ret) 2nd KY Vols 1812 era
Lt (ret) Rogers Rangers F&I
Booshway 2021Thundercreek Rendevous

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2021, 11:03:21 AM »
Howdy Longwalker.
I have a two volume set by Douglas C. McChristian called Uniforms, Arms, and Equipment - The U.S. Army on the Western Frontier, 1880-1892.   Though I haven't delved into them much at all, they seem pretty informative.  I wondered if the same guy did the same thing for the earlier era, and see he has a book called The U.S. Army in the West, 1870–1880: Uniforms, Weapons, and Equipment Illustrated Edition.  I don't know anything else about it.  Maybe you've seen it?
Doug's book The U.S. Army in the West 1870-1880 and Vol. 2 of Uniforms, Arms and Equipment will give you a pretty good idea. Doug McChristian was a terrific researcher and writer on the subject. Sadly, he "rode across the Divide" a couple of years ago. I was privileged to have known him. Books were published by the University of Oklahoma Press.

R. Stephen Dorsey's "Guns of the Western Indian War", gives very detailed information on guns used by both the Indians and the Army, including detailed Ordnance notes on the guns and ammunition.

Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4669
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2021, 09:22:31 AM »
Back in the 70s Time Life Books ran a series on the Old West. One is called The Soldiers, tons of very good pics in it.
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

Online Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen