Author Topic: 2015 Grand Muster After Action Report  (Read 14546 times)

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
2015 Grand Muster After Action Report
« on: June 29, 2015, 11:27:40 AM »
I am requesting that you post your after action reports here
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: 2015 Grand Muster After Action Report
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 03:07:02 PM »
Well, I just made it home safe.  Will work on pictures later.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 03:44:20 PM »
looking forward to them  :)
when planets align...do the deal !

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:59:46 PM »

Offline Bow View Haymaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 03:51:32 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/groups/308112292558615/

there are some pictures and vid on GAF facebook group.

Know that I was with you all in spirit.
Bow View Haymaker

GAF #522  Dept of the Platte
SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

www.HighPlainsShootersSupply.com

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 04:52:54 PM »
I don't face-book , twitter or any of the other social media ...I'll have wait on Glen
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Sagebrush Burns

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 04:55:37 PM »
This was my first Grand Muster and what a great time it was!  First was meeting folks in person that I have encountered at the Barracks - and a great group of people they are.  Next were the stages and shooting activities.  Movement and target distance and location were fun and challenging but not impossibly difficult (although on the first stage I discovered that my rifle was way off - point of impact was 2 feet right of point of aim at 50 yards and high also - once that was corrected the rest was quite straight forward).  I guess I'd better practice a bit at distances longer than SASS 15 yards before next year.  The swapping of yarns and tales (campfire BS) was most excellent and the various areas of knowledge and expertise were a joy to absorb.  I met so many people I can't begin to remember who everyone was...  Larry Little and his brother, Lonnie and his brother, Vaughan, Dave, Brian & Mark form Texas, and many more.  My wife, Karol, came along and has decided to become a part of GAF.  She had a great time and was treated wonderfully by everyone - thank you all.  Some thank yous are in order.  I can't remember everybody's name who helped put on the match, but here are a few:  Pitspitr, Drydock, Ned Niederlander, Quick Fire, River City John, Delmonico.  I am overwhelmed by the quality of the people and honored to be a part of it all.  Rest assured, I shall return!

Offline ColDiamond

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 08:07:49 PM »
The Grand Muster was a challenging match.  Thanks Jerry, Chuck, Glen, Dale and all the rest who worked so hard showing us a good time in a beautiful area of Nebraska.   

Offline LT Col Long

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 54278
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 10:00:35 PM »
Special thanks to Glen who (in my opinion) did one heck of a job with the chow!!
Thank You Glen!!!

LtCol Long

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2015, 06:05:01 PM »
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2015, 07:10:58 PM »
Wish I could have made it! Looks like several new friends I haven't met yet.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2015, 08:26:04 PM »
July 1 2015
From Headquarters of Commissary Department
Lincoln Nebraska

To: General Jerry Davenport
Headquarters Grand Army of the Frontier
Near Sargent in Custer County Nebraska

Sir:

The Commissary Departments gear was loaded in The Field Marshall and lest Headquarters just before noon on June 23, arriving in camp with a small hole in the lower radiator hose.  Quartermaster Dale Beethe was able to obtain one and the Commissary Department is grateful for his fine work.

Upon arriving in camp, the Field Marshall was unloaded in the kitchen area and a fire was started, producing tea for iced tea and coffee.   The Ordinance Officer and I decided that rather than go to Sargent and try the food of the indigenous people of the area I would make our meal in camp.  A fine meal was made of sliced baked potatoes, Vidalia onions and Italian Sausage links, although the ordnance officer did not bring his Carcano.    Turkish Coffee was our desert. 
“Black as the devil, hot as hell, pure as an angel, sweet as love.”
Charles Maurice de Talleyrand-Périgord

A ham was put on to bake over night as well as potatoes for ham and fried potatoes for breakfast.  Colonel Long showed up and biscuits, cheese and more ham were served for lunch, a baked  ham, cheese and potatoe dish was served for supper.    The remains of said ham became ham and beans at another meal and the rest of that became baked beans.   

The usual roasted pork loin, cheese steaks on biscuit, pot roast and other familiar meals were served as well as the camp tradition of sausage gravy and biscuits for Sunday breakfast made with the good sausage made at the local suttler (The Corner Market in Sargent).

The Sunday noon meal was meatloaf, baked macaroni and cheese, homemade bread and both pear and peach cobbler, favorites of our late companion Steve Summers aka Stu Kettle.  His family dined with us before the memorial ceremony.   

The two local recruits were back and performed wonderful.

The Commissary Department was loaded on The Field Marshall  and departed about 11 am and was back at it’s headquarters a little after 3 pm. The unloading was completed yesterday and the cleaning and storing gear still continues.  The last of the leftover meat loaf was just consumed by the Chief Commissary Officer and was still quite tasty.

One of the new dishes served in camp was a turkey cut up to fit the 20 inch dutch oven “Bertha”  and rice was added and cooked in the juices before serving.  This dis was well received since it was totally eaten with no leftovers.

Your Obedient Servant

Bvt Major Glen Carman
Chief Commissary Officer

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2015, 08:44:16 PM »
, arriving in camp with a small hole in the lower radiator hose. 

There seems to be a pattern developing here.....

Also, from the picture posted above, seems the Commissary Department's  camp helpers have acquired more suitable attire, look good! Hopefully, their quarters remained intact through the weekend this time.

Offline Bow View Haymaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2015, 11:10:04 AM »
The food alone is worth the trip. right?
I will attept to move ouintains ton be there nest year.

Sagebruch,  now you kinow what and why I was trying to start some GAF activity out here in AZ.
unfortunatly, life events have forced my hobbies to take a backseat for a while.  I hope to back in the thick of it again soon.
Bow View Haymaker

GAF #522  Dept of the Platte
SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

www.HighPlainsShootersSupply.com

Offline ira scott

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • AKA: Broken Nose Scotty
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 59
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2015, 09:50:37 PM »
As a "first timer" I very much enjoyed The Muster! General Davenports Ranch is a beautiful place to spend time/shoot, and I felt privileged to have  spent time with a group of very knowledgeable and entertaining people. I won't soon forget Drydock's dry sense of humor (the guy could be a stand up comedian!), or Niederlander's infectious laugh! Thank you again to LTCol Long for hauling the Gatling gun all the way from "Illernoise" and to Jerry for all the time he spent at the loading bench just so everyone could enjoy it!   
Campin, shootin, eatin, drinkin, bullshitin with a fine group of gentlemen! It don't get much better than that! I also shall return!
It is far better to remain silent, and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt!

Offline Quick Fire

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2015, 08:08:34 AM »
July 4 2015
From somewhere out in the Plains, a scouting for Injuns

To: General Jerry Davenport
Headquarters Grand Army of the Frontier

Suh;

This herah muster was a fust rate doozy. Ya'll really outdid yerself once again. I'm proud to scout fer a first rate bunch of soldjurs such as ya'll have gathered. Ye can just bet I'll be back next year to scout on yer next campaign. Until then,
Adios
Quick Fire

PS. Wouldn't be much of a scout if I couldn't point out a couple of items that could be improved on to make it an even better Muster.
Water jugs on each battle site and some more shade on the site that I helped out. Other than those two minor improvements it was the best shoot I've ever been to.

Respectfully:
Quick Fire
QuickFire                                 Lt. Colonel, Division of Nebraska                                                                                                                                                                          GRAND ARMY of the FRONTIER                                                         
NCOWS 1717

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2015, 12:21:58 PM »
July 4
Report by Veldcornet Johan De Covert

My Compliments to General Jerry Pitspitter and Staff and My Fellow Comrads in Arms:

Arrived at camp in the foothills of the Bohemian Alps on Thursday, 25 June, with my traveling companion Colonel Diamond of the U.S. Volunteers. I was struck by how the surrounding countryside reminded me of my homeland in Transvaal!
Ascended to the Laager at the top of Pitspitr Hill and made contact with the forces stationed there. All was astir with preparations for the coming Muster, so I got to work immediately and inspected the first of the latrines. An army may move on it's stomach, but the proper course of an army requires many movements. My unofficial mission was to ensure all was in order for the troops as to sanitation facilities.

I took the opportunity to spare five precious rounds to sight-in my newly issued short Mauser. Very pleased with it's performance, and very grateful for helpful tips received on sight adjustment from Col.'s Little and Drydock. Safe to say the rifle and load combination was capable of greater accuracy than were my poor efforts to operate it. It was apparent that 100 rounds was not sufficient to engage all targets planned what with misses, so next year I will know to bring more ammunition.

The four engagements were very challenging, fun and well thought out.
In fairness to myself, most of my costly misses were on the first skirmish of the day down in that infernal gully where the morning sun had not yet penetrated and the targets hidden in the foliage were shadowed, such that many carefully sighted rounds were expended removing the threat of what proved to be only a large, leafy plant. (It was a vicious looking plant, though!)

I was very impressed with all the efforts the General and Lt. Col. Neiderlander made in creating the many new improvements to the Muster, especially the newest stage below the camp in the valley, nicknamed "Fort Hell". A lot of work in building steps, bridging, ramparts and the palisades. Sadly, I was so footsore and exposed by the time we finished that run that Sgt. Bursovsky took pity on me and retrieved an ox-cart from camp to haul my sorry self back up to the Laager. It took some time afterwards, including eating the noon mess and drinking several tankards of your strange  American concoction, "Gatorade", before feeling refreshed enough to push on to the fight at Fort Scottsman. The desire to man the Gatling gun once again was an inducement, to be sure! Thank you to all in the Division of Illinois who made this second appearance of the Gatling possible.

The Commissary Dept. outdid itself, and my vote for the best meals would be the roast turkey and rice, pork loin and 'taters, and of course the biscuits and sausage gravy. Capt. Delmonico is to be commended.

The weather added some interesting entertainment. A very hearty Thank You to all who provided rides up and down Pitspitr Hill to Col. Diamond and myself when our beast of burden could not negotiate the muddy track and that treacherous wallow.

My only lament is that we who had lengthy travel times ahead of them on Sunday and had to break camp in the morning caused us to miss Stu's memorial later that afternoon. It was a very respectful and fitting remembrance towards Stu for his family. I am proud of GAF for planning this.

Veldcornet Johan De Covert

(Edited for accuracy.)

"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Bat 2919

• G Man / Bat Masterson
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Sand Creek Raiders
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2015, 10:45:10 PM »
I would like to thank the Command Staff and every one who helped with set up and ran the stages for another very well run Grand Muster.  Having been the match director of many large matches including the AZSA Championships as well as SASS Regional and State Championship events I know just how much time and effort went into this match. 

The main match format was well organized and should work very well for a larger numbers of participants. 

The long range match was perfect for our rifles and very realistic.  I also enjoyed the long range pistol event.

I would also like to add my support for additional shade and water on the stages.

Waiting with baited breath for the results.

Congratulations gentlemen.

Happy Trails

G Man / Bat Masterson
NRA Endowment
SASS #2919L
AZSA #11L
NCOWS #530
BOLD# 276
GAF #750

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2015, 09:27:18 AM »
Improvements can always be made.  Big acknowledgement of water and shade where needed!  Some targets probably need to be different colors. (We now know why Napoleon had so much trouble seeing Prussians in the woods)  And some particularly fearsome large leaf plants need to be cut back . . .
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2015, 12:31:16 PM »
Anyone having extra water jugs should bring them, we can always get plenty of ice.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2015, 08:35:09 PM »
From the Quartermaster,  Plans for better shade are already in progress, as are some improvements at the campsite.  We find things we need to improve on every year, and more water is going to be a MAJOR priority!
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com