Author Topic: Belts for percussion revolvers  (Read 588 times)

Offline Davem

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Belts for percussion revolvers
« on: October 04, 2022, 03:25:51 PM »
I know there are a lot of replica outfits but does anyone have any links, photos, etc. of what type belts were used historically for a pair of percussion revolvers carried in California/Slim Jim type holsters? Thanks.  Any info on if combustible cartridges were carried in a cap box worn on the belt- or something similar.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
Re: Belts for percussion revolvers
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2022, 04:13:40 PM »
Lots of info here on The Leather Shop forum, and I'm sure there's lots of pics in the past pages.  I just wanted to make a comment about cartridge belts with belt loops.  Seems like I've seen a lot of criticism of Hollywood movies for people with percussion rigs that have cartridge loops on the belt, like say, Angel Eyes in Good, Bad & Ugly.  But those folks were carrying cartridge rifles, so the loops certainly could have a purpose.  And per Packing Iron, cartridge belts started during the Civil War.  I would imagine plain belts were more common in those early days, though.

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2022, 08:36:35 PM »
The belts were plain - perhaps with some border embelishment - but without cartridge loops.

All of that came about once the Open Tops appeared.

Sometimes, there was a small pouch for paper-wrapped cartridges, as those were popular and widely available.

Don't use the 'John Ford Reference Library' when looking into actual historical usage - the decisions are made by the art department to use things for visual effect - not for period authenticity.

Look at the Time-Life series 'The old West' and at Rattenbury's 'Packing Iron' for illustrations.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:29:37 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com