Author Topic: Wanting an '86  (Read 1379 times)

Offline Cowtown

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 85193
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
Wanting an '86
« on: May 28, 2022, 05:40:50 PM »
I have always wanted either a '76 or an '86.

The '76 because of the whole Tom Horn history. I can trim brass and load the 45-60 with BP OK, but the '86 is also huge (which is a draw for me) and already is a 45-70 for which I already maintain reloading capability.

So... nodding towards the '86.  I have spotted a dealer online who has several Miroku Winchester '86's, all nice guns. Dealer has no Uberti '86's which are generally a bit less money. Thus my question. Since I have never handled either an Uberti or Miroku '86, are there any major differences between the two besides the tang safety? Neither is "inexpensive".

I own several Uberti Cimarron and Taylors rifles in various calibers and configurations and one Miroku '73, all great rifles. Is this gonna be a six of one, half dozen of the other?

Thanks.

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 93
Re: Wanting an '86
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2022, 07:34:53 PM »
I have two 1886 rifles. One is a Browning/Miroku saddle ring carbine and does not have the tang safety, and the other is a Winchester/Miroku in a short (24" barrel) Deluxe Sporting Rifle with tang safety and rebounding hammer. Both rifles are 45-70's and both are excellent shooters and I have never had an issue with either. I do not own but have looked at the Uberti rifles and they are very nice looking rifles. I do know the early Pedersoli rifles had issues but I believe they have since resolved their issues. I really like my Miroku rifles and would not think about trading them for the Italian rifles and if I did not have an 1886 I think I would still prefer the Miroku rifles. Their quality is excellent, and I think they have nicer looking wood than the Italian rifles.

I will say that I do not shoot BP in my 1886 rifles. I have a really good smokeless round worked up that both rifles shoot accurately and well.
A man's true measure is found not in what he says but in what he does.

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 165
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2022, 10:48:40 AM »

I second the Browning version, I have both Rifle and Carbine, and love shooting both. No experience with any other maker, no need to once you go Browning.
King Medallion

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:49:00 AM »

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2022, 09:22:23 PM »
Has anyone tried one of the Turnbull produced '86?  They're pricey, but they look like a great rifle.
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2022, 11:15:48 PM »
I have a Chiappa - its an attractive, solid piece. Needed work to get it functional but a really accurate BP shooter from the start
Shoots a 335grain cast using duplex Blackpowder load just a tad over 1500fps - no intention of hotrodding this or of going to pure smokeless. That load will do anything I ever want from it and the gun should last a hundred years or until somebody forgets to clean it. 

I bought this rifle used from my LGS - original owner had fired 6 shots, "it kicks too much" backtraded it on a lever shotgun - that was the story anyway (like the little car that granny only drove to church on sundays) I got it home and testing with a dummy round was no way this thing would feed from the magazine - round would not go all the way into the carrier - so I was headed back to the shop but decided to see what it would do first

Loaded 10 rounds as above . I used the first three checking sights, one at 17 yards, second at 25 yards, third at 50 yards with minor sight adjustment as we went - then I cleaned it, put a tang sight on zeroed off the barrel sight setting and shot this target at 100 yards with the remaining seven. 

Cold clean barrel is the lone shot high and left - then a three shot group to the right a bit - moseyed up for a look - wow!
back and fired a second three shot group  lower down ----I have difficulty getting the same sight picture if I move off the position I started in - stay put and shoot and it goes ok - would be interesting to figure out what it is that I am doing to disturb things  - anyway the whole 7 shots is not too bad for a first load out of a new gun but those two little three shot clusters was plenty to stop me from taking it back for a refund - I tore it down and fixed it rather than go argue. Happy I did it - told him (LGS) the story, he knows he didnt con me, also knows now that I made it work. Me.? not scared of putting a screwdriver on an 86 anymore - and have an accurate rifle and load that I am confident in.

Offline Tazman1602

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2022, 06:22:17 PM »
New guy to the forum here but I have a couple of ‘86’s, one 45-70 Octagonal barrel, and one 45-90 “short” rifle which to tell the truth gets mostly 45-70 down the tube. Both are really great rifles and more accurate than my 64 year eyes. Both are pretty, reliable, SOLID rifles.

The ONLY thing I abhor about both rifles are the rebounding hammer and that stupid lawyer inspired tang safety which make it all but impossible to install a vernier tang sight — HOWEVER, the octagonal barrel has a “climbin’ Lyman” sight and the 45-90 I’m going to try a Skinner peep on the bolt. IMO both are better than the factory sights.

That being said, with 405G cast bullets in front of 4198, and with factory buckhorn type sights, I am able to shoot 3” groups @100yards consistently and in spite of both being very stiff out of the box, 50 rounds down the tube smooths everything out immensely.

If you *really* hate the tang safety, Turnbull will eliminate it and put a half cock hammer on them for….gulp….$1300.

I wouldn’t sell/trade either one for convienence as they are both VERY fine rifles that feed/function perfectly for me, they look great, and are a hoot to shoot!

Art

Offline Roosterman

• Top Active Citizen
    • Muzzleloading guns
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 96
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2023, 12:00:58 PM »
I have a pedersoli I like really well.
www.fowlingguns.com
Known to run with scissors from time to time
Citadel of Sin Social Club

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2023, 06:17:02 AM »
I have always wanted either a '76 or an '86.

The '76 because of the whole Tom Horn history. I can trim brass and load the 45-60 with BP OK, but the '86 is also huge (which is a draw for me) and already is a 45-70 for which I already maintain reloading capability.

So... nodding towards the '86.  I have spotted a dealer online who has several Miroku Winchester '86's, all nice guns. Dealer has no Uberti '86's which are generally a bit less money. Thus my question. Since I have never handled either an Uberti or Miroku '86, are there any major differences between the two besides the tang safety? Neither is "inexpensive".

I own several Uberti Cimarron and Taylors rifles in various calibers and configurations and one Miroku '73, all great rifles. Is this gonna be a six of one, half dozen of the other?

Thanks.

Before you make up your mind on this - handle a new made 76 .....i have both and I would keep the 76 if I was forced to part with one .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com