Author Topic: USFA guns made from Italian parts bringing top prices.  (Read 3592 times)

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 93
USFA guns made from Italian parts bringing top prices.
« on: April 06, 2022, 03:18:38 PM »
I suppose this goes to show the USFA Uberti parts guns are just about as desirable as the USA parts guns. I think the USFA Uberti guns were a step above the Italian imports and many early third generation Colts, but I am not sure they are worth this kind of money.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/928370648

A man's true measure is found not in what he says but in what he does.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
Re: Uberti parts guns bringing top prices
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2022, 09:34:11 PM »
That's because 99% of the shooting world does not know the difference.  The guns that should bring the highest prices are the USPFA (United States Patent Fire Arms) marked guns.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2022, 07:39:33 AM »

:)  PLUS ONE for Pettifogger  ;)

Sort of.  A second hand (used) Single Action, with no historical significance, no provenance, no attachment to some semi-famous individual, being priced at, and in come cases sold for STUPID money.  Essentially just another USED GUN.  Gimmie a Break.  I Like my Attitude  :o

Advertising

Re: USFA guns made from Italian parts bringing top prices.
« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:28:17 AM »

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2022, 12:05:59 PM »

Sort of.  A second hand (used) Single Action, with no historical significance, no provenance, no attachment to some semi-famous individual, being priced at, and in come cases sold for STUPID money.  Essentially just another USED GUN.  Gimmie a Break.  I Like my Attitude  :o

I don't know if you remember but many years ago we exchanged some emails about your USFA Double Eagles.  Now if I had managed to secure them their provenance to you would now make them super valuable and I could sell them and retire.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2022, 07:54:27 AM »

:) Ha! )

If memory serves (what memory),  ::) you're already retired.   ;D  Twice I broke my own rule about "never" buying High End guns.  Consecutive pair of USFA Double Eagles and a consecutive special order pair of USFA OMNIPOTENT.  Didn't like either set and sold them on prior to the demise of USFA.  Could have made a bundle.  Oh Well.

Play Safe Out There

Offline Graveyard Jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • aka CraigC
    • Graveyard Jack's Custom Sixgun Leather
  • SASS #: 81,827
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2022, 03:15:36 PM »

Just another used gun???  ::)
SASS #81,827

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2022, 11:24:54 PM »
Another really nice clean Uberti parts gun goes for top dollar.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/928529818

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2022, 10:57:47 AM »
My suspicion is most people see the name "USFA" and think high quality/top of the line revolver and don't know or care about the sometimes subtle differences between the all Uberti/US assembled guns, or the mixed Uberti/US parts guns, compared to the all US sourced late production USFA single actions.  And a share of them aren't aware of the way to tell the difference.

All the USFA prices are getting stupid high.  I really like the late US made guns but I probably bought my last one a couple years ago.

Dave

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1181
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2022, 12:24:43 PM »
The term "parts gun" to me normally means a gun that is good only for spare parts, similar to a "parts car".  So when I first saw the title to this thread, I thought it was to be about someone selling broken Uberti guns that are only good for parts.  Like, "USFA parts are not available, so pay top dollar for this blown up Uberti so you will have a stash of spare parts that will fit your USFA."   :)

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2022, 07:09:37 AM »

:) Abilene  ;)

Initially, I read it the same way.  But was curious and took a peek any way.  I still actually see "Parts Gun" as something Blown-Up and only good for "Parts."

Play Safe Out There

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2022, 08:46:59 AM »
I fail to understand the ironic  :-\
USA VS Italian?   or say German ? even Japanese ?

German made is considered Quality, case in point a BMW,  is a BMW made in Leipzig, Germany
better than the ones manufactured  Greer, South Carolina, or San Luis Potosí, Mexico ?
Is Fritz, a better assembler than say John or Jose ?

How about, Miruku vs Winchester or Browning post 1964 ?

No doubt USFA is well made and has a loyal following, The USPFA's are look down on by the purist  ???

Italian roots, Italian CNC programing on the SAA, from the beginning to the demise.

I just don't see the reason for USFA prices getting stupid high, for either or ?

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2022, 03:55:49 PM »
Folks, I am not arguing one way or another. It has just been my impression that the in house all USA parts USFA revolvers were more desirable and generally brought a premium over the Italian parts revolvers. I have never understood the fuss about the CNC programs being similar to that of Uberti. Frankly, if the revolver is of exceptional quality who cares whether or not their CNC program originated with Uberti or Colt.

I have had single actions made by several different companies from Germany, Italy, and the US and in my humble opinion the best of them all has been my USFA revolvers and tied for second is my Standard Manufacturing and a first year second generation Colt I once owned but foolishly sold back when I needed the money instead of the gun. No USFA's are not Colts and the machining is slightly different, but I am not a Colt diehard. I love Colts and their history and if there had not been Colts originally there would be none of the replicas. All of the replicas just proves the timeless design and popularity of the original Colts.

Like others here I have probably purchased my last USFA because like them their values have exceeded my means. I have thought however I might find one composed of Uberti parts that I could consider, but what I am seeing on CB and other gun auction sites they too have exceeded my means. So unless I am able to find one locally without the inflated price there will be no more USFA's for me.

Off the subject a bit but here is an article about a USFA I ran across I found interesting.

https://americanhandgunner.com/handguns/a-robar-single-action/

Offline Graveyard Jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • aka CraigC
    • Graveyard Jack's Custom Sixgun Leather
  • SASS #: 81,827
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2022, 12:30:39 AM »
Doesn't matter the source of the programming, it's how the machines are operated. Uberti is notorious for running theirs wide-assed open for maximum production. USFA ran theirs slower and with more frequent cutter changes. The domestic guns aren't more sought after because they're domestic. It's because they're better made guns with far superior machine work.
SASS #81,827

Offline RVK

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2022, 01:50:20 PM »
Another early USFA SAA produced at 55 Van Dyke Avenue, Hartford, CT for sale. The 1999 pre-dated the all USA production.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/950853823/U-S-Fire-Arms-USFA-Henry-Nettleton-SAA-45LC-Revolver.htm 

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2022, 03:40:24 PM »
Turnbull has a USPFA '51 Mason Richards for $4500.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline Capt. John Fitzgerald

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2022, 04:10:19 PM »
I gotta admit, if the selling price was the current bid, $2100, I would snap it up in a heartbeat.  Then again, due to a rather serious injury a couple of years back, and my current inability to get out of the house on my own, I have managed to save up quite a bit of "expendable cash."  I wonder if I would have been so willing during my pre-cash years.  ;D   

There is almost a full week left until the end of this no reserve auction.  It will be fun to watch and see how much it finally goes for.

Here on the board people talk about crazy prices and stupid buyers but remember, these crazy-stupid buyers might just be looking for a USFA that you own.  Good for us!  In 2011, when USFA, for all practical means and purposes, shut down the asking prices immediately shot up.  All the nay-sayers said that this would never last yet here we are, 11 years after the fact, and USFA's are still commanding premium prices.  Again, Good for us!
You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2022, 09:56:53 PM »
Capt. John, there is currently no bids on the revolver. It is a very nice Government Series revolver the seller says is unfired and unturned. I also noticed it has a second cylinder that is also .45 Colt Not sure why it has a spare cylinder. If it stayed at that price and I had the change I too would be tempted to purchase it.

Offline russ1943

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2022, 04:41:23 AM »
I have been watching the price of Uberti Parts guns go up in value over the last year.  They are going for as much as the USA made guns went for last year.  I have spreadsheet on the prices.  I hope the USA made ones have gone up just as much, since I got two.  If my computer with the info wasn't in the shop getting a new screen, I would post the weighted average price increases. 

I think it just demand.  Colt is a long waiting period, Cimarron only has Uberti that are not 4 clicks, and Pietta are low or out of stock.  What is left, in a good SAA, USFA part guns. Then you got Uncle Joe screwing with guns.

I think I paid NIB around $1,100.00 for mine 44-40, 7.5". The most popular is 4.75".

I have a paper note in the gun box that 5.5" 44-40 at the Rock Island Auction went for $2950.00 +18.5% buyer premium S/N 22598 in 2020.

That so when I roll the seven, my nephew doesn't give them a away for nothing.

Offline NCRanger

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2022, 04:16:43 PM »
Out of curiosity, when in the history of the company did USFA become USPFA? Are some of the firearms marked USPFA?
"Long days and pleasant nights!"

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1181
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2022, 05:02:22 PM »
They were USPFA first. Yes, the guns were marked that way.  I'm not sure when they changed to USFA, gonna guess around 2000 but the experts here will know for sure.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com