Special Interests - Groups & Societies > The Winchester Model 1886

Favorite loads for your 86

<< < (3/7) > >>

PJ Hardtack:
When you "assume", you make an ass out of "u" and an ass out of "me".

Coal Creek Griff:
I have developed a couple of smokeless loads that I use in my Miroku 1886 (45-70).  Some of them were on the upper end of energy, most of which was transferred to my shoulder.  I since backed them off to approximate BP velocities.  Part of the reasoning is so that I can use them in either the '86 or my Pedersoli Sharps.  The velocity readings below were taken with the Sharps, which has a 32" barrel.  These should be well within pressure limits for a modern '86, but why should you trust me?  You don't even know who I am.  I may also be a bad typist and I might have typed loads that are downright dangerous.  For those reasons, PLEASE double-check everything here before you trust your rifle and your life to what I've written.

The loads below use a Lyman 457193 bullet (415 grains), Winchester brass and CCI 200 LRP.

35 grains Alliant Reloder 7.  1366 fps
35 grains IMR 4198.  1427 fps.

I have had decent accuracy with these loads, but my main target usually ends up being tin cans.  The 45-70 may be a bit of overkill, but it sure is fun!

CC Griff

wildman1:
BRS you are correct it is a 38/56. The BACO mold is actually .380 but with the soft alloy casts at about.3795 and no I do not size them as the bore is a couple thou larger than that.  As far as shooting it from the bench when developing loads I was interested in how accurate the rifle was not in how steady or unsteady I could be shooting from field positions or standing upright.
wM1

Advertising:

larryo1:
King:
I have never been able to  get PhotoShop for me worth a damn so slip me you e-address and I got a photo of all the  '86's I got.  My e-mail is revengngn6 @yahoo.com.  One of them is a late '86 TakeDown in .33

PJ Hardtack:
That I why I said it depends upon the application. The OP did not specify what calibre '86 he wanted load recommendations for.
Most could tell from the bullet weights suggested that we were referring to 45-70.

[quote author=Black River Smith link=topic=59128.msg705440#msg705440 date=1492473195My point is 45/70 was a 405 gr..  PJ lists a 520 and 350 is the 350 maybe a 40/70 330 gr original.  Larryo1 lists a 300 gr does that represent the 45/90 original 300 gr.  Wildman1 is the only one providing enough detail, by listing a 260 gr but he also added the diameter of 0.379 for a possible 38/56 or 38/70 near original 255 gr. but also lists 52 gr of powder used which would most likely be the 38/56 and states it is for an original.
[/quote]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version